Mech-Inspired Powered Armor

Mark Rand

A young inventor, facinated by mechs from comics, television and role=playing games, uses one as the inspiration for a suit of powered armor. Once its completed and tested, he or she applies to the Avengers.

Which mech should it be?

What weapons does it have?

If necessary, what can it convert into?

He is right but why let that stop you?

As for which, I'd reccomend one with hands like the veritechs in Robotech or the robots in transformers. It should be able to keep up with eveyone on the team so variable movement on land and in the air is neccesary.

if you want to start small I'd go with one of the transforming mech motorcycles from the final arc of Robotech,(originally Genesis climber Mospeada in Japan) or a transformer-jetfighter for the upper end.

I had a PC in an old game who went the Mospeada route. It worked pretty well since it was more of a "sideline" power for him, his main thing was Cyberkinesis. Basically we just kept it at /slightly/ below the power level of some of the main bruisers and it worked out well. He had a nifty robo-bike transfroming thingie, and it didn't overhsadow anyone else.

Guest Major Tom

You could also use the various mecha designs from the Gundam

series. As mecha go, they're not bristling with weapons on every

surface; indeed, much of the weaponry in the various incarnat-

ions of the series is hand-held (beam saber, beam rifle, shield,

large-caliber autocannon, various melee weapons, etc.), with

things like missile launchers either in detachable pods or built

into the mecha itself.

Major Tom :cool:

The two threads below have writeups for mecha which should give you useable examples and ideas:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125&highlight=mech+OR+mecha

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90&highlight=mech+OR+mecha

For a general discussion of the subject, the first page of this thread has links to just about all the HERO System mecha discussions that have been held on the boards:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4424&highlight=sample+mecha

Last Saturday I ran a one-shot character, time-lost from a steampunk universe: Phineas MacAndrews AKA Steam Colossus. He was built with 4 levels of Growth (0 END, OIF), an END Reserve Steam Engine, and the extra PD, ED, Armor, and Running all bought OIF. His armament consisted of an arm-mounted Maxim gun, a Big Cricket Bat (AoE HA), and Big Cricket Balls (based on STR, Ranged HA). I never got to use the last, but I figured that a Haymakered Cricket Ball would have the SFX of tossing it up in the air and hitting it at the target with the bat.

Actually, I prefer the Lion Force Voltron. In fact, this is the followup of my thread on the powered armor version of Voltron. Here are the weapons.

Human Form

Blazing Sword, 3D6 HKA, armor piercing or stun-only blade

Blazing Bow, stun-only EB or normal killing damage done by a hunting arrow

Electroforce Cross, 30 STR TK, only to push objects away

Electrosaber, 2D6 HKA double-bladed sword or stun-only EB

Spinning Laser Blades, 2D6 stun damage or normal killing damage done by a throwing star

Lion Lariet, entangle

Eye Beams, normal settings of a PRIMUS blaster

Lion Torch, standard killing damage of a flame thrower

Lion Head Attack, (suit's hands) double knockback for strength

Lion Form

Tail Laser, normal settings of a PRIMUS blaster

Claws, normal HKA of a panther

Lion Road, presence attack

Re: Mech-Inspired Powered Armor

Originally posted by Mark Rand

A young inventor, facinated by mechs from comics, television and role=playing games, uses one as the inspiration for a suit of powered armor. Once its completed and tested, he or she applies to the Avengers.

Which mech should it be?

What weapons does it have?

If necessary, what can it convert into?

I'd go with the Garland mech from Megazone 23. It was also a motorcyle in one form, then a humanoid suit with a blaster hand weapon. It was taller than a normal human, but it wasn't gigantic; I believe it was around 8-9 feet tall tops. Iron Man's had at least one suit that looked that big (the space armor)

The Madox Suits from BGC is another one (incidently, there was a single OVA called Madox-01: Full Metal Panic, that covered the first Madox suit long before the time of BGC). You'd need to change the main weapon, which was a chaingun, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Originally posted by Mark Rand

I just reread the cyclone material.

None have energy weapons, that can be set on stun.

Oh well, back to a six foot, more or less, copy of Voltron. At least his weapons, being energy-based, can have a stun setting.

I'm not sure I understand: What's stopping you from defining the given weapons as energy? You can define them as Normal Damage and/or STUN Damage only. If the Limitations they're written with bother you, you can change them or substitute different writeups that you prefer.

This is HERO. Tweaking prewritten stuff is practically a constitutional right around here. ;)

JmOz, Lord Liaden, you make good points.

I found, where I don't remember, the A.C.E.S. power armor that fires missiles, rubber bullets and tear gas canisters.

If I do my own version, using a Robotech mech as a base, and give it two or three Voltron weapons, it might be cool.