Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

That is a great editorial, thanks!

As to the game, I'm pretty interested in it now that I've seen so much about it, whereas I wasn't before.

And I would say I've lost some respect for Hillary Clinton, but that's not really possible.

Went to the zoo yesterday with the kids. There wasn't anything as funny as the time we went in march, and the Cape Barren goose was feeling broody and chasing the emus around the enclosure they share. But we did there for snack time for the orangs and siamangs, though.

Interesting little thing on Friday afternoon, got a package in the mail from White Wolf, had two Mind's Eye Theatre books in it, rulebook and Requiem, thing is, I didn't order them, got someone else's backorder, sent an email to WW since nobody answers the frellin' phone there. Got an email back this afternoon, they said keep the books, we'll get them to the right guy....

I don't LARP...more books to clutter the den...

I think this stink has done a lot to make people who weren't interested in GTA before' date=' interested.[/quote']

I suspect the whole thing was engineered by Rockstar as a marketing ploy. The timing and so forth are just too perfect not to be.

Interesting little thing on Friday afternoon, got a package in the mail from White Wolf, had two Mind's Eye Theatre books in it, rulebook and Requiem, thing is, I didn't order them, got someone else's backorder, sent an email to WW since nobody answers the frellin' phone there. Got an email back this afternoon, they said keep the books, we'll get them to the right guy....

I don't LARP...more books to clutter the den...

Maybe they're worth selling on ebay.

I suspect the whole thing was engineered by Rockstar as a marketing ploy. The timing and so forth are just too perfect not to be.

Sure, but it's amazing how people buy into it who should know better - I mean those on the attack.

Sure' date=' but it's amazing how people buy into it who should know better - I mean those on the attack.[/quote']

To wax cynical for a moment, the purpose of the "attack" is not to stop kids from playing this particular game. It's to attract media attention, rally the troops, raise money, and (for some) maybe eventually change the laws.

It's a symbiotic relationship between fund raising politicos and the media machine they're attacking.

To wax cynical for a moment, the purpose of the "attack" is not to stop kids from playing this particular game. It's to attract media attention, rally the troops, raise money, and (for some) maybe eventually change the laws.

It's a symbiotic relationship between fund raising politicos and the media machine they're attacking.

Yes, but in so doing they are at the same time giving the game more attention. (PS - and I think many are sincere in not wanting that)

Better to take the PMRC approach and just bash away at a whole collection of stuff in congressional hearings.

But, yeah, I am sure that's true, to your point.

Yes' date=' but in so doing they are at the same time giving the game more attention. (PS - and I think many are sincere in not wanting that)[/quote']

I expect that most of those involved in the rank and file of the censorhip movement / family media movement (pick one) are sincere in their beliefs. Still, the stink of political opportunism is strong here.

My wife devoured it as well. She finished it in two sittings, and now she is pestering me constantly to get it read so that she can talk to me about it. :rolleyes: I do want to read it, but due to my busy schedule it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

My wife read it Saturday. I haven't read the series' date=' doubt that I ever will based on what I know of it, not my cup of tea, but I enjoyed well enough the one movie I saw of it.[/quote']

I'll "ditto" that. Most people I know have read the books (or are in the process of reading them) but they don't appeal to me. But I've really liked the movies, and eagerly look forward to the next one. :)

I found the books to be far more entertaining and rich than the movies. I still enjoyed the movies, but they leave out a lot of important details to the story. This next movie will be the deciding factor on my decision since the book it is based on is a massive tome with constant events unfolding. I'll be interested to see how that gets translated to film.

Honestly the books are kids books, and that is why the read so fast for adults, but JKR has done a really excellent job with the world and story, and as far as I'm concerned is _one_ of the best storytellers of our time.

Honestly the books are kids books' date=' and that is why the read so fast for adults, but JKR has done a really excellent job with the world and story, and as far as I'm concerned is _one_ of the best storytellers of our time.[/quote']

There's another reason I think she deserves lots of praise for what she's done. You see, for a number of years, I was Executive Director of A.B.L.E. (Adult Basic Literacy Education), a non-profit organization that used volunteer tutors to help illiterate adults learn how to read and write. While about half of our students where non-native English speakers, the other half were native English speakers; I don't think most people realize just how bad the literacy levels are in America today! But in any case...the vast majority of our native English speaking students were never read to as children by their parents, and never read (or wanted to read) as kids. JKR has kids lining up to get her books, and read them! Anyone who can do that...make kids want to do that...has my full support!