Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

There's another reason I think she deserves lots of praise for what she's done. You see' date=' for a number of years, I was Executive Director of A.B.L.E. (Adult Basic Literacy Education), a non-profit organization that used volunteer tutors to help illiterate adults learn how to read and write. While about half of our students where non-native English speakers, the other half [i']were[/i] native English speakers; I don't think most people realize just how bad the literacy levels are in America today! But in any case...the vast majority of our native English speaking students were never read to as children by their parents, and never read (or wanted to read) as kids. JKR has kids lining up to get her books, and read them! Anyone who can do that...make kids want to do that...has my full support!

Not me, literacy is the enemy of my campaign to be elected dictator for life... :sneaky:

I found the books to be far more entertaining and rich than the movies. I still enjoyed the movies, but they leave out a lot of important details to the story. This next movie will be the deciding factor on my decision since the book it is based on is a massive tome with constant events unfolding. I'll be interested to see how that gets translated to film.

Honestly the books are kids books, and that is why the read so fast for adults, but JKR has done a really excellent job with the world and story, and as far as I'm concerned is _one_ of the best storytellers of our time.

I wouldn't doubt the books are better, but, to me, the first movie was nice light entertainment (presumably the other one or two are as well), and I can kill a couple hours on that if I have the time and want to do something with my wife, whereas the books are more of a commitment and the whole premise isn't something I'd spend more than a couple hours on (and even then, again, only if it were a social thing, otherwise, on my own time, I wouldn't commit that much time, either).

A little something for our Southern posters...

Only a Southerner knows...

.....the difference between a "hissy" fit and a "conniption" fit and that you don't HAVE them, you PITCH them

.....the general direction of "yonder"

.....the best gesture of solace to a neighbor in trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold 'tater salad and if it's a real crisis, they know to add a large banana puddin'

.....that "just down the road" can be 1 mile or 20

.....that grits come from corn and how to eat them

.....to say "sweet" milk means you don't want buttermilk

.....that you don't shout obscenities at a little old lady who drives 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say "Bless her heart" and go your own way

And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a long time, ya'll need a sign to hang from ya'lls front porch that reads:

"I ain't from the South but I got here as fast as I could"

Bless your hearts, ya'll have a blessed day now, ya hear..

A little something for our Southern posters...

I heard one of these that ran "The best thing in life is a bottle of Jack Daniels and a girl who can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch."

And another for our friends that know how to "work the system".

I'm frightened to think how true that may be.

Wow, the boards are really weird now... (just logged in, seeing some differences, see they must have done something)

Works for me.

A few years ago I sold a decrepit, giant, green, radioactive lizard on E-Bay.

Wonder what ever became of it ?

Oh, that was you I got that from? It's time for another match, then, as, first off, you never replied to my messages (yes, I am "JllyGrnGiant", that's still better than "CuteAndFluffy", didn't know that was you...), and the negative rep was well-deserved. Second, said "lizard" was actually a Kermit the Frog muppet, which was not only not useful to me but was inorganic and not even something I could eat (well, I could and did, but I did not enjoy it and it was not nutritive).

I'm frightened to think how true that may be.

Wow, the boards are really weird now... (just logged in, seeing some differences, see they must have done something)

Gah. I just wanted to look in and catch up on some threads. Instead I've got threads back to June thinking I hadn't read them.

More and more reasons.

Not me' date=' literacy is the enemy of my campaign to be elected dictator for life... :sneaky:[/quote']

Stomp a few more buses. Chomp a few more train cars. Romp through a few more suburbs. We know you can do it with having to lower yourself to run for office.:D

Gah. I just wanted to look in and catch up on some threads. Instead I've got threads back to June thinking I hadn't read them.

More and more reasons.

I went through and marked every forum as read. It cleared the backlog.

Hope I didn't miss much. ;)

No' date=' I sold you on e-Bay. It was kind of a rhetorical question, you know ?[/quote']

Well, then, explain how else what I described happened?

And why I can't remember this?

I think you don't want to admit to being the salesman!

As I just realized' date=' I accidently posted while in lurker mode, I'd like to state, I'm back on the NGD, but mostly in lurker mode. And I got my raise yesterday at work. It wasn't much, but it was the most I could possibly get at work.[/quote'] Glad to see you posting again.