what character concepts -HAVE- Gm's allowed that you thought they wouldn't?

animemun001

thats right I want to know what character concepts did you as a player give to a gamemaster and think it's not going to accepted only to find out it was.

You can also tell us WHY you thought the character wouldn't be accepted as well. I've always been half joking when it comes character designs and I've surprised myself quite a number of times with actually playing half the things I created out of a laugh only to be taken seriousily. Well this thread is to share your character ideas that you thought wouldn't of been accepted on the first try but enjoyed playing. Where all ...eyes I guess.

Re: what character concepts -HAVE- Gm's allowed that you thought they wouldn't?

Twins whose powers were additive.

Myself and another player were in the game of a GM known for blatantly ignoring her own DC and Active Point limits to protect her villains. We'd had enough of playing games where our characters could never damage the opposition.

So, we made twins with the max DC energy blast (~12d6), that had Usable By Other (but only for the other twin).

We were surprised when she allowed us to play the characters as written. Sure enough, we soon faced a villain who made Grond look like a pantywaist. After three Turns of no combination of coordinated attacks affecting him, we unleashed the 24d6 blast, hoping to have some affect.

... well, thank God for knockback, anyway. But it was awfully fun rolling all those dice. And we eventually did face one or two villains who 24d6 could actually do STUN to.

One of the most twisted setups I've ever allowed was an attempt to duplicate Damage (of DC's). The key component was an Aid *as a side effect*. Abusive? It would have been if not for the fact that the bigger the "aid pool" got the worse of a chance the character had of keeping the "aid pool" active instead of exploding -- and if he exploded he lost the points in the "aid pool".

On the surface it looked like a Class A1 abuse, but it practice it worked surprisingly well.

Someone actually let me play a character with a DBZ-style powerup ability (as lifted from Mr. Surbrook's Site; the Aid To Damn Near Everything Combat Related). Of course, losing those two or three phases at the start of the fight to power up hurt me a lot more than I thought it would ...

I also think the only reason I got away with it was because the character didn't have a DBZ personality ("The solution to every problem is MORE POWER!"). I had a Code Against Killing, for the luvva Mike. :)

In two different SuperWorld-variant games run by the same GM, he allowed the same player to build and play characters heavily built on a cosmic VPP equivalent(gimmick points), but without the extra costs.

Although the player didn't go overboard intentionally, his characters were heavily unbalanced and tended to outdo and outshadow the rest of the characters without too much effort.

The GM was very easygoing about power-limits and the player wasn't a bad guy, so the issue never really came to a head in either game.

Someone actually let me play a character with a DBZ-style powerup ability (as lifted from Mr. Surbrook's Site; the Aid To Damn Near Everything Combat Related). Of course, losing those two or three phases at the start of the fight to power up hurt me a lot more than I thought it would ...

I also think the only reason I got away with it was because the character didn't have a DBZ personality ("The solution to every problem is MORE POWER!"). I had a Code Against Killing, for the luvva Mike. :)

What does my love have to do with it? :confused:

Anyway, Kayli the Destroyer (NINJA HERO) as the same power (shhh! don't tell anyone! :hush:). I made sure to mention that she usually powers up before combat, and made it lose points at 5 Minute intervals so she could remain powered. Of course, since said Aid boots one's SPD, you do get those extra Phases to powerup in if things work out right.

Guest Worldmaker

Heh. I haven't ever created a totally bizarre or marginally unacceptable character, but my wife has. In point of fact, she's playing one right now. I was sure her GM would bounce this character submission higher than the moon, but nope...

Check this out. I'm still shaking my head over it.

Heh. I haven't ever created a totally bizarre or marginally unacceptable character, but my wife has. In point of fact, she's playing one right now. I was sure her GM would bounce this character submission higher than the moon, but nope...

Uhm... wow... that's... interesting.

Myself and another player were in the game of a GM known for blatantly ignoring her own DC and Active Point limits to protect her villains. We'd had enough of playing games where our characters could never damage the opposition.

Villains shouldn't be subject to the same campaign limitations imposed on the Player's characters. If the villains are restricted, there will be no challange for the PCs.

But it is sad that your GM pumped up her NPC's defenses so high that your PCs could never effect them. That is a little extreme.

Even sadder that you and your friend felt like you had to create PCs and gang up on her in game. Better that you both had sat down with her and explained your frustrations about her nigh-invincible NPCs.

Mags

Probably the longest shot I have managed to sink was getting Glen Thain (one of the oldest of old school GMs around) to let me play my catgirl duellist in a Fantasy Hero game. Glenn doesn't like furries and he doesn't like crossdressers and the character's entirely unbalanced, but he let me get away with it...repeatedly.

Why is she unbalanced? She can pump her DCV past 20, for starters. On the other hand, she can't fight her way out of a wet paper bag, as she has a 8 STR and has no damage classes and a style limitation that prohibits putting levels into damage classes. Potentially lethal to anyone who has no armor. Not so much against anyone with chainmail or better.

She also has levels vs hit location penalties, specifically to aim at armored bits. (she has a CVK)

Well, I'm not sure if it would work in my game, but it's a nice writeup.

I also think the only reason I got away with it was because the character didn't have a DBZ personality ("The solution to every problem is MORE POWER!"). I had a Code Against Killing' date=' for the luvva Mike. :)[/quote']

Heh. That's exactly how I got away with Starguard.

I mean.. 80 point Cosmic Power Pool *with* 0 END and Line of Sight, Total Life Support at Inherent, full Cosmic Awareness (as in UNTIL Superpowers Database) with Inherent, 30/30 resistant defenses, 10 of which are hardened, and 25" of 0 END Flight... and the special effect of the VPP is "The Power Of The Celestial Source"...

... if I wasn't playing a 20-point CVK Novice Heroine(*), and RP'ing it to the hilt, I really really doubt the DM would have sanctioned it.

(And if you're wondering how the hell I afforded all of that, the answer is "750 point campaign".)

As is, despite the Deus Ex Machina effect I've had to repeatedly restrain myself from throwing in, and the instant Grand Canyon I created (MegaScale Tunnelling) to instantly imprison the rampaging armies of Vashtos, uber-necromancer and general extra-dimensional warlord bad guy, so far, Starguard has remained in the game.

I think what really cemented her was her habit of trying to make sure that the villains never took BODY, only STUN -- even if that required healing them in mid-battle, or throwing Usable By Others At Range resistant PD (Only Stops BODY, not STUN) on them while a teammate was busy winding up their Explosion... :)

(*) Even if that was the first disadvantage I bought off, I'm still RP'ing it even after I got rid of it. I just didn't want to have make the EGO rolls any longer... I'll pick and choose when I prat-fall, thank you. :)

Wow, a published character, and a fantasy one at that...

"I'll take Characters Winterhawk Would Never Let Into His Campaign for a $1000, Alex." :P

I wasn't the player in question, but the character was Hungry. EC of 60 AP powers including 3/4 Physical and Energy Damage reduction, 12d6 of physical and energy absorption to whatever she chose, plus a 12d6 aid to anything.

The GM carefully overlooked the line at the bottom of the sheet that said it'd take a 500d6 attack to KO the character, and that he'd *profit* from any attack of less than 200d6 or so.

Villains shouldn't be subject to the same campaign limitations imposed on the Player's characters. If the villains are restricted, there will be no challange for the PCs.

But it is sad that your GM pumped up her NPC's defenses so high that your PCs could never effect them. That is a little extreme.

Even sadder that you and your friend felt like you had to create PCs and gang up on her in game. Better that you both had sat down with her and explained your frustrations about her nigh-invincible NPCs.

This was a long-running issue with this GM; we'd talked to her one-on-one, we'd discussed as a group without naming names, we'd held an intervention. Eventually, we decided that the best way to handle it was with good humor, and the wonder twin powers were the result.

For our part, it became sort of fun, seeing if we could defeat the villains we could never hurt. The knockback from that 24d6 attack punted the first villain off the floating city our campaign was set in, and he couldn't fly. So at least we amused ourselves.

Come to think, this was the GM who allowed my character Enhancer (well before we'd realized her M.O. in GMing) -- who had a multipower of Characteristics UBO At Range (this was before Aid). He looked innocuous, but could enhance his teammates up to 90 STR or 80 PRE levels. Most attacks in the campaign were at the 8 DC level.

I was kind of embarrased at first when I realized how abusive the character could be. Then we faced Grond AND a bunch of other villains at the same time, and that started fighting cheese with cheese.

Characters I thought would be bounced & GM's allowed, hm?

My toon character for one. Even I didn't know if I wanted him when I first created him but graciously, the GMs allowed him a trial basis (we have more than one GM in our campaign). Surprisingly, after several years of playing him on & off, he's one of the most enjoyable and fun characters around.

Angel (not a real angel). She started humble (10d6, 5 Spd, 20 Con, 15 PD/ED with 1/2 Damage Reduction) and increased in power until 14d6, 5 Spd, 43 Con, 33 PD/ED (dumped the D.R.). On yeah, she has her 'Full Power' form, cranking things up to like 20d6 and stronger stats. To my credit, I did warn them about where I was intending to go with the character in terms of power when I created her. However, I'm pretty good at RP'ing so I guess they trust me to use sound judgement - out of 200+ experience, only used it 3 times.

Other than that, no problem. I a solid thinker.

Twins whose powers were additive.

So, we made twins with the max DC energy blast (~12d6), that had Usable By Other (but only for the other twin).

We were surprised when she allowed us to play the characters as written. Sure enough, we soon faced a villain who made Grond look like a pantywaist. After three Turns of no combination of coordinated attacks affecting him, we unleashed the 24d6 blast, hoping to have some affect.

... well, thank God for knockback, anyway. But it was awfully fun rolling all those dice. And we eventually did face one or two villains who 24d6 could actually do STUN to.

You needed 24d6 to *sometimes* do STUN?!?!

Heh. That's exactly how I got away with Starguard.

I mean.. 80 point Cosmic Power Pool *with* 0 END and Line of Sight, Total Life Support at Inherent, full Cosmic Awareness (as in UNTIL Superpowers Database) with Inherent, 30/30 resistant defenses, 10 of which are hardened, and 25" of 0 END Flight... and the special effect of the VPP is "The Power Of The Celestial Source"...

... if I wasn't playing a 20-point CVK Novice Heroine(*), and RP'ing it to the hilt, I really really doubt the DM would have sanctioned it.

(And if you're wondering how the hell I afforded all of that, the answer is "750 point campaign".)

As is, despite the Deus Ex Machina effect I've had to repeatedly restrain myself from throwing in, and the instant Grand Canyon I created (MegaScale Tunnelling) to instantly imprison the rampaging armies of Vashtos, uber-necromancer and general extra-dimensional warlord bad guy, so far, Starguard has remained in the game.

I think what really cemented her was her habit of trying to make sure that the villains never took BODY, only STUN -- even if that required healing them in mid-battle, or throwing Usable By Others At Range resistant PD (Only Stops BODY, not STUN) on them while a teammate was busy winding up their Explosion... :)

(*) Even if that was the first disadvantage I bought off, I'm still RP'ing it even after I got rid of it. I just didn't want to have make the EGO rolls any longer... I'll pick and choose when I prat-fall, thank you. :)

Starguard ain't the only one. Most of our characters would give most GMs a coronary. I mean. . .

Horus-Re has the damage reduction/damage absorbtion combo that lets him eat nukes and ask for seconds.

Warmaster Fielan and Princess Cyrande both have cosmic power pools as big or bigger than yours, albeit with more limitations.

Now, Warp and I might get past until the DM actually looked at what we could really do. . .

Now' date=' Warp and I might get past until the [u']DM[/u] actually looked at what we could really do. . .

hee hee. I briefly had visions of there finally being a D&D PC who could stand up to Elminster...

DM: Elminster shows up and starts scolding you.

Other PCs: *groooan*

Hero PC: I switch my Cosmic Power Pool to 20d6 INT Drain! Does Elminster have Power Defense, huh Mr. DM?

I'm Stupefied...

I can't say that any of my hero characters have been such that I thought a GM wouldn't allow it. I did have a Star Wars character I wasn't sure of... A race I created, basically humanoid unicorns, who are almost invariably force-sensitive. Not only did the GM allow a martial artist from that race, the character showed up in other games, too.

I was surprised that Zornwil let The Troll/Eliot Sihn into his game.

The character was a very dark character developed for a previous dark game who proved a bit too dark for the GM. His original design was for a vigilante-type who was far more brutal than the thugs he faced. He was supposed to instill fear into their hearts, partly through his powers, and partly through his stunted understanding of morality.

His sfx was "super regeneration." He could detach body parts and use them for various things. He could rip out his eye, will it to develop spindly spider legs, and send it off to spy (or stow an extra eye under a couch in case he got flashed.). He could pull his ear off and stick it in someone's pocket. He could pull off his hand and throw it. He could yank off his left arm and beat criminals into unconsciousness. All of his body parts had some degree of sentience, and he had a mind link with them when they were separated. Doing all of this hurt the same as it would normally hurt if a normal person got his eye gouged out. This tended to make him more than a little crazed, and, in my interpretation, tended to blur his ideas about how criminals should be treated.

Zornwil didn't bat an eye.

The character has entirely reformed now. Or has he..?