The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

The pain in my left arm (from the bone spur) is so bad sometimes, I can barely lift my arm at the end of the day. It just hangs limply by my side. And I jammed my thumb in the same hand 3 weeks ago during Krav Maga class. The problem is that I'm left handed, so I have to use it to write or do stuff. I've had my hand bandaged up for a while. Now I use a brace, especially when I work out. Hey, the bone spur won't go away without surgery; I just have to live with it until I can afford to have it removed. But it still keeps me up at night.

I've been threatened by two disaffected Japanese women in the last week, and my job almost exclusively consists of me doing power point projects (or babysitting them) for people who will get credit for it.

Also, having a girlfriend has reared its ugly head as I'm pseudo-forced into shelling out $8 to watch the third installment of the Harry Potter series.

In a related story, I can't believe how dedicated Maxis is being by withdrawing any hints toward the release of the Sims 2. Wasn't obsoleting $120 worth of my games enough?

And these earbud headphones are annoying as hell.

I still haven't worked up cojones to submit my art or creative writing for consideration. I'd really like to break into an industry that I'm too afraid of. And then I ended a sentence with a preposition and started one with a conjuctive article.

The only class I'm taking this summer starts at 9 AM on Saturdays. It gets out at 5 PM. Just Saturdays.

I'm starting to think I'll never ascend to Emperorhood.

Have heart, you have a cool avatar and obviously at the very least an ability to communicate with the written word that surpasses the norm by a good mark. That has to help on the road to lord-god-king status!

Hoping things look up soon...one serious tip, the only way to get used to dealing with submitting and rejections and getting past it is just, well, as cliche as it sounds, doing it. But you can start small - I am quite serious when I say start here on the NGD. People are pretty good here about feedback, much of it is rather overly-positive but, hey, that doesn't hurt, and, besides, many will give genuinely useful feedback. Just go for it, we don't bite. Well, I'm the only one that bites...and you don't want to get near Mightybec...well let's just say Rachel and Kara and lemming are nice anyway...

Seriously, submit your writing here. Get used to people seeing it. Whether here or elsewhere, I encourage you to just get it out there - it is also the only way you'll improve, by getting feedback.

All that being said - it's not easy. I do know that. Good luck whatever you do.

The pain in my left arm (from the bone spur) is so bad sometimes' date=' I can barely lift my arm at the end of the day. It just hangs limply by my side. And I jammed my thumb in the same hand 3 weeks ago during Krav Maga class. The problem is that I'm left handed, so I have to use it to write or do stuff. I've had my hand bandaged up for a while. Now I use a brace, especially when I work out. Hey, the bone spur won't go away without surgery; I just have to live with it until I can afford to have it removed. But it still keeps me up at night.[/quote']

Sorry to hear that. I know it's been on for a bit. Do you have an end in sight, time-wise, if I may ask?

Sorry to hear that. I know it's been on for a bit. Do you have an end in sight' date=' time-wise, if I may ask?[/quote']

As far as I know, only surgery will remove it. Someone on the boards said somebody he knows smacked it with a hammer, but I'm not that desparate yet. My mother says she had to live with her bone spur for 15 years. The thing is, she doesn't work out 3-4 times a week.

For some reason I’m the one who checks the messages. It is' date=' inexplicably, MY JOB. I don’t think she’s ever checked them since we got married.[/quote']

My wife is the same way. I truly don't understand it. Must be a chick thing.

Funny story, btw, if more than a little disturbing.

-AA

My wife is the same way. I truly don't understand it. Must be a chick thing.

Funny story, btw, if more than a little disturbing.

-AA

My wife's not that way, but I must be the one to change the kitty litter and clean anything unusually grouse (such as cat/dog vomit).

That reminds me, I'm hoping at the next game we could do some issues management s and discuss PC conception accountability. Regarding the latter, it's not as if I'm responsible as GM - you are all entirely empowered. I'm hoping that with that, you and the other PCs can achieve a level of synergy that will make the game more fun for everyone. I'd like to help, but I'll be busy creating a project plan and an accompaying PPT for the next few games...

:eg: :eg: :eg: :eg: :eg: :eg:

mental note: bring baseball bat to next game. :bmk:

I'm glad that my wife or my daughter aren't reading over my shoulder. I'd be in huge amounts of trouble. Oh' date=' and I feel much better now.[/quote']

My wife was reading over my shoulder, as she is wont to do, and became giddy with amusement when she saw it.

Gah. Car insurance.

"You cancelled our insurance?"

"You didn't pay in time"

"We had made sure the Nissan was off the insurance and had called to get an updated bill over a month ago. Shouldn't we also get a refund on the time the insurance was not in effect for the Nissan?"

"We can't process the refund until you pay the bill."

"The car wasn't to be covered. Why should we pay a bill just to have you refund all of it plus what you already owe us?"

And round and round we go. :mad:

I just asked my mom about Dad's condition. The neurologist hasn't found any "Cause" in either his or my aunt's condition. Degenerative bilateral neuropathy. I just hope that I avoid it as my uncle seems to have. :(

Dad's balance is shot, his hands shake, they don't THINK he has Parkinsons. Shake has gotten so bad he can hardly shoot any more. Given that he used to compete on the national and international level, that really sucks.

Same basic thing. They originally thought she had Parkinsons. She'll just be walking along, and her body will start to go the wrong way. Thump. She's having eye-hand coordination troubles too. She's 68 and has to walk with a walker.

I dunno how you go about getting started getting a diagnosis of SCA, or how they ruled out Parkinsons. That's why we're going to visit the doctor. I remember a surprising amount of my biochemistry classes, and I'm getting a little lost.

Did your grandfather or grandmother have similar symptoms?

They've been looking for this for three years, at four different hospitals. Her Dr in Tampa is sending her to Emory in Atlanta because they have some sort of expert to confirm the diagnosis.

If it is SCA, then it's a dominate genetic mutation, some variations (there's 12 or so) seem to be slightly sex linked (which means males more likely to get it), but most aren't. Which means that if you get the gene from your father, you've got it, but since your mother doesn't, if you got the gene from her, you won't. Vice versa in my wife's case.

Of cource, it's closely related to Friederich's Ataxia, which is recessive, which can skip generations.

The kicker is, that from the last papers I read, there's only tests for 5 of the 12 types. So, even if they do the DNA test, they might not be able to get a confirmation. And, of cource, if they can't get a confirmation, there's not any point for my wife or any of her sisters to get the test. Because at best they will be unconfirmed.

However, if mom has one of the 5 types that can be tested for (and those are the most common types), then her daughters can be tested, and if they come up negative, they'll be fine.

So, we may have to shell out for mom's genetic tests, if she can't swing it. Her Dr didn't recommend spending the money, since it's not going to matter for her treatment. It's more for the children than for mom.

Fortunately, we've been saving money in the Fix up the house fund, so we can plunder that if necessary.

Either way, it's a 50/50 shot that my wife's going to develop the same symptoms. One of the fascinating things is that the mutation progresses, in that each successive generation develops the disease earlier, and harsher.

The closest I've been able to dig up for a "treatment" for this variant, is to take a ton of anti-oxidants, and hope that that slows down the cerebellar decay. For some of the damage related ataxia, there are things you can do.

Of cource, there are a ton of related diseases and things, which supposedly is the reason why it's taken three years to get a diagnosis.

Apparently, they hit Ataxia early on, and have just been running through all the variations.

Thanks to all the well wishers.

D