The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Absolutely!

I literally begged my wife to get a second opinion when she was told that her rectum and vagina had to be removed. But, she wouldn't hear of it. In reality, it could have made all the difference. :(

She's already been to tons of doctors. But, yeah, the expert in Atlanta should be able do a confirmation, and give us more information on what to do.

Emory's a good hospital. That's where they treated my wife's cancer.

And, yeah, always get a second opinion. Always.

D

Do you have any insurance? I can't remember.

As far as I know' date=' only surgery will remove it. Someone on the boards said somebody he knows smacked it with a hammer, but I'm not that desparate yet. My mother says she had to live with her bone spur for 15 years. The thing is, she doesn't work out 3-4 times a week.[/quote']

I get to wash all the dishes, particularly the Oversized, greasy roasting pans and such that won't fit in the dishwasher. She is REALLY good about everything else though.

My wife's not that way' date=' but I must be the one to change the kitty litter and clean anything unusually grouse (such as cat/dog vomit).[/quote']

Good luck. My aunt and dad both have part of it, but she doesn't afaik have the hand shakes.

HIs balance isn't real good, but I am not certain how much of that was due to his unsteady knee, that was just replaced.

He is supposed to have a follow up with his Neurologist, but he still hasn't made the appointment, and it has been iirc 3+ months.

His dad had Alzheimers. DIed of COngestive heart failure.

His mom died of cancer.

Same basic thing. They originally thought she had Parkinsons. She'll just be walking along, and her body will start to go the wrong way. Thump. She's having eye-hand coordination troubles too. She's 68 and has to walk with a walker.

I dunno how you go about getting started getting a diagnosis of SCA, or how they ruled out Parkinsons. That's why we're going to visit the doctor. I remember a surprising amount of my biochemistry classes, and I'm getting a little lost.

Did your grandfather or grandmother have similar symptoms?

They've been looking for this for three years, at four different hospitals. Her Dr in Tampa is sending her to Emory in Atlanta because they have some sort of expert to confirm the diagnosis.

If it is SCA, then it's a dominate genetic mutation, some variations (there's 12 or so) seem to be slightly sex linked (which means males more likely to get it), but most aren't. Which means that if you get the gene from your father, you've got it, but since your mother doesn't, if you got the gene from her, you won't. Vice versa in my wife's case.

Of cource, it's closely related to Friederich's Ataxia, which is recessive, which can skip generations.

The kicker is, that from the last papers I read, there's only tests for 5 of the 12 types. So, even if they do the DNA test, they might not be able to get a confirmation. And, of cource, if they can't get a confirmation, there's not any point for my wife or any of her sisters to get the test. Because at best they will be unconfirmed.

However, if mom has one of the 5 types that can be tested for (and those are the most common types), then her daughters can be tested, and if they come up negative, they'll be fine.

So, we may have to shell out for mom's genetic tests, if she can't swing it. Her Dr didn't recommend spending the money, since it's not going to matter for her treatment. It's more for the children than for mom.

Fortunately, we've been saving money in the Fix up the house fund, so we can plunder that if necessary.

Either way, it's a 50/50 shot that my wife's going to develop the same symptoms. One of the fascinating things is that the mutation progresses, in that each successive generation develops the disease earlier, and harsher.

The closest I've been able to dig up for a "treatment" for this variant, is to take a ton of anti-oxidants, and hope that that slows down the cerebellar decay. For some of the damage related ataxia, there are things you can do.

Of cource, there are a ton of related diseases and things, which supposedly is the reason why it's taken three years to get a diagnosis.

Apparently, they hit Ataxia early on, and have just been running through all the variations.

Thanks to all the well wishers.

D

Somehow, my mom's computer decided to wipe out her internet and e-mail settings. She works on a lot of geneology. Over a year's collected e-mail (several thousand posts) lost.

But for some reason, it saved her address book.

Somehow, my mom's computer decided to wipe out her internet and e-mail settings. She works on a lot of geneology. Over a year's collected e-mail (several thousand posts) lost.

But for some reason, it saved her address book.

eek!!

the messages might not be gone. you might want to contact the vendor for whatever email application she uses. (I can already hear the groan if it is Outlook/Microsoft) It sounds like this is a situation that might call for such measures though.

good luck with whatever you decide. :(

eek!!

the messages might not be gone. you might want to contact the vendor for whatever email application she uses. (I can already hear the groan if it is Outlook/Microsoft) It sounds like this is a situation that might call for such measures though.

good luck with whatever you decide. :(

Netscape 7.1

Where ever they hide your e-mail is pretty well hidden.

Netscape 7.1

I am not that familiar with that one and I don't have that one set up at home.

However, I do have a test machine at my desk at work with it installed. I can take a look tommorow and see what i can find out for you. :think:

Gah. Car insurance.

"You cancelled our insurance?"

"You didn't pay in time"

"We had made sure the Nissan was off the insurance and had called to get an updated bill over a month ago. Shouldn't we also get a refund on the time the insurance was not in effect for the Nissan?"

"We can't process the refund until you pay the bill."

"The car wasn't to be covered. Why should we pay a bill just to have you refund all of it plus what you already owe us?"

And round and round we go. :mad:

Sorry to hear that, good luck (again).

Dinner should not be the ordeal that it was last night.

"What do you want to do for dinner?"

"Well, we haven't got anything I want to eat in the house, so let's go out somewhere."

"Okay. Oh I know, we have a coupon for TGI Friday's. Plus we can get healthy food there."

"Sounds good. Let's go there."

"Or we could go to Cheesecake Factory, since it's an off night it won't be crowded."

"Do we have a coupon for Cheesecake Factory?"

"No, but it's healthy."

"With a name like 'Cheesecake Factory'?"

"Don't make fun."

"Well, it is funny."

"So you want to go to TGI Friday's, then?"

"I really don't care one way or the other, but we do have a coupon for TGI Friday's. But if you would rather go to Cheescake Factory, we can go there."

"Okay, let's go to Friday's."

(five minutes elapse)

"Can you call Cheesecake Factory and find out what time they close?"

"I thought we were going to Friday's."

"Well, I want to go to Cheesecake Factory."

*sigh* "Okay, I'll call." (thinking, why the hell am I the one who has to call?) "They close at 11, and the wait is half an hour."

"Okay, let's go there."

"Okay, we're going to Cheesecake Factory. Let's get ready."

"Will you hurry up? I'm starving!"

(Old Man gets dressed inside of two minutes and is waiting by the front door, keys in hand. Time elapses.)

"I have nothing to wear!"

"Nothing to wear? You've got a three foot stack of clean laundry right there."

"But I'm too faaaaat! Nothing fits me!"

"What's wrong with that skirt you're wearing?"

"Look at how tight it is!"

"Um... okay. Well, isn't there something else in the stack, or in the closet, or in the dresser, that you can wear?"

"Can't we just stay in and eat something?"

"But there's nothing here I wanted to eat."

"We can have noodles."

"There's no protein in noodles."

"We can have salad."

"There's no protein in salad."

"Well, can you just go out and pick something up?"

"Sure. Okay. What should I pick up?"

"Well, what do you feel like?"

"I just want chicken, or meat, or something."

"I know. We have a coupon for KFC."

"Okay. I will go pick up dinner from KFC. What do you want me to get you?"

"Tender Roast sandwich and fries. And corn. And coleslaw. And mashed potatoes?"

"Isn't that a lot of food?" ("Fat" girl?)

"But I need my veggies."

"Potatoes are not a vegetable, they're a starch. Besides you don't like the gravy anyway."

"All right, I won't get the mashed potatoes. Just the corn and the coleslaw."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

"Why don't I just come with you?"

"..."

(A long drive ensues, made longer by a water main break that has forced the closure of one KFC, as well as plenty of unwanted driving commands from the passenger seat.)

"Change lanes. Change lanes. Why aren't you changing lanes?"

"Mostly because there's an SUV in the way, sweetheart."

"It's faster if you go that way."

"You should tell me these things before we're halfway through the intersection."

"Just turn left, and turn left again."

"Across the busiest six-lane road in the city? No, that's okay, we'll go around."

"I'm a much better driver than you."

(finally KFC is reached. Old Man enters and orders the food. A young Russian named Vasily rushes about in the back, assembling the sandwiches, while Lois, the nice lady behind the register, forces me to try a new Roasted Chicken Strip while I wait. It's not bad. Eventually I collect the food and head back to the car. Soon we're on our way home. But not home free...)

"You eat too much fried food."

"What?"

"You eat too much fried food. It's not healthy."

"One chicken sandwich a week isn't gonna kill me."

"How many times have you gone to KFC this week?"

"Uh... zero?"

"Okay. But you still got the fries."

"You wanted the fries. I got them for you. Besides the coupon was for the combo so we were stuck with the fries anyway."

"You still need to eat less fried food."

"..."

I will so get killed if Jenny ever reads this but....I cannot resist!

WHEN DID YOU GO TO DINNER WITH MY WIFE, OLD MAN?!?

Nope, just bummed. lol And I'm over it. :)

So I played Rachel in Triple Play 2002 on our PS2. Since I regularly beat her at Madden 2002, I figured I'd do okay.

She threw a perfect game and was hittin' balls out of the park left and right. :rofl:

That's too funny not to see again.

Netscape 7.1

Tim,

I found the following on a 2k machine:

C:\Documents and Settings\"YOUR WINDOWS LOGIN"\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\attcfo\ems226s9.slt\Mail\Local Folders

I don't know if any of the folders in italics are profile specific but I did find the inbox folder this way. If you can find it, you should be able to save it to a different location and then try uninstalling/reinstalling the program, creating a new profile and copy the saved info to the same location.

Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear that' date=' good luck (again).[/quote']

Well, we should have this sorted soon enough. I'm feeling better today so I can call them up again after work. I'm pretty sure we're talking about a paltry amount of money, but if this also has an effect on the rest of the accident claim, I'm going to be more than a little miffed.

Guest bblackmoor

Cranky? I've been cranky lately. Here are few things irritating me:

Control freaks

I'm irked at someone who wastes weeks of my time getting a character set up for a game only for them to spring an absurd house rule on me after the game has been going for a week -- reasonable GMs DO NOT nit-pick the players' grammar. Period. The least such a GM could do is warn the players up front about inane house rules so that sane players won't waste any time getting their hopes up. Bad GMs are poison, and they should all have their dice taken away.

Maniacs

I'm irked at maniacs going 85 mph on the 55 mph freeway, snarling as they swerve around the people going a mere 65, as if we are the jerks. May they all find horrible, fiery deaths far away from any innocent bystanders.

Morons

I'm irked at idiots who persist in sending me HTML formatted email even after they are told why it's rude and they've been asked to stop. These are the same idiots who spread computer viruses over and over and over and over and over. If you don't know how to use a computer properly, you shouldn't own one.

Fascists

I'm irked at people who think their preferences should be a rule for everyone else to follow. Whether it's who you marry, whether you smoke, what you smoke, what tense you use when you role-play your character, or anything else -- you do what you want, and leave the rest of the consenting, non-violent adults to do what they want. Stop trying to impose your personal choices on the people around you.

Some days, I think a civilization-destroying meteor strike is exactly what this planet needs. Maybe the coleopterans will have better sense.

Good luck. My aunt and dad both have part of it, but she doesn't afaik have the hand shakes.

HIs balance isn't real good, but I am not certain how much of that was due to his unsteady knee, that was just replaced.

He is supposed to have a follow up with his Neurologist, but he still hasn't made the appointment, and it has been iirc 3+ months.

His dad had Alzheimers. DIed of COngestive heart failure.

His mom died of cancer.

Hmmp. My wife's parents died pretty young, and so we don't know which, if either of them had it. She's an only child, from a small family.

Good luck yourself.

D