The cranky thread

Hermit

Yeah' date=' the snow-season behavior of Seattlites never made any sense to me. I expect people in Albuquerque or Atlanta to freak out in the snow. But in Seattle it snows [i']all the time,[/i] or at least every other year. Buy some friggin' snow tires, people.

Denverites do the same thing. And it snows at least a little in Denver pretty much every year. They generally do okay after the first snow of the year, but that first snowfall (even if it doesn't even really stick) just freaks them out.

Re: The cranky thread

Anyway, my road-related cranky for today is that I drove allll the way to work only to find that our friends at the City & County closed the road in front of my building. Surprise!! So that cost me 45 minutes as I went hunting for parking, and then tried to find out just how long they're going to keep the road closed. Funny how with these big road crews no one seems to know anything or be in charge.

Denverites do the same thing. And it snows at least a little in Denver pretty much every year. They generally do okay after the first snow of the year' date=' but that first snowfall (even if it doesn't even really stick) just freaks them out.[/quote']

Happens in Maine, too. Utterly surreal.

At least the traffic volume isn't comparable.

My driving-related cranky is a frequent one ... to get to the Wal-Mart in town, you come off the main highway, then come to a THREE-way stop. Traffic coming in off the highway does not have a stop sign, and is not supposed to stop, so cars don't get backed up onto the highway.

So, either people stop when they come in from the direction with no stop sign, or people in the other three roads don't care that the fourth doesn't have a stopsign and go out in front of them and nearly cause accidents.

Um' date=' view > toolbar >navigation toolbar?[/quote']

Actually, I found that, tried it repeatedly, and that didn't work. But the system had had a security update rammed down its throat so other anomalous things were going on. I had to give up and reboot.

And believe it or not, it's not a microsoft product this time around. Incredibly, there exists production software that is more buggy and opaque than even Bill's.

Heh. Yeah, I knew that. Chances are, you'll be giving the vendor some wonderful new cases their QA couldn't be bothered to think of, and you get to pay them for the privilege.

Heh. Yeah, I knew that. Chances are, you'll be giving the vendor some wonderful new cases their QA couldn't be bothered to think of, and you get to pay them for the privilege.

Well in defense of QA, there is no such thing as non-buggy code. Too many permutations to get everything.

Now if it's a past bug that got fix, then there's no excuse IMO. (Former QA)

Those filthy' date=' piratical b******s churned out another infinitesimally different edition of the 101 textbook again. Rape those poor students for every last piastre.[/quote']If it isn't significantly different, can't you keep using the old edition as the specified text?

Chances are' date=' you'll be giving the vendor some wonderful new cases their QA couldn't be bothered to think of, and you get to pay them for the privilege.[/quote']That isn't how QA works. QA does think of many, many possible cases, some of them very obscure, but then (a) is only given a small portion of the required time to test all these cases before the product ships, because the developers have overun their deadline for delivery to QA but QA's deadline remains fixed, so not all scenarios get tested, and/or (B) they do find issues, but they are ignored because "our customers will never do that".

Ur?

. . . What?

There's a big push from the execs this year about "Accountability" and right now as it stands I am good enough at my job but we'll see. They're planning on tripling the length of the audits and instead of going back 3 months, to go back 6 months.

While I'm not really worried yet, my satisfaction has been less than optimal for a bout six months. I may leave before firing becomes an issue...but I might not make it :)

Okay, so see if I am way off base here.

[rant ]

About 2 years ago some of our execs were talking about a leveling off of the Sub-Prime Mortgage market. We diversified, but we're still one of the biggest lenders in the country. So the Market "Levels" (or bottoms out, you're call) and our stock sinks like a stone.

But you know what? I'm not worried. Every company that bought or sold mortgages got hit.

And if you read the company memos everything is fine. We'll be fine.

We laid of almost 3000 people; Closed a bunch of loan centers.

2007 was a year of challenges, 2008 will be worse before it gets better. We'll meet the challenge as a team.

Albeit a slightly smaller team.

Now we have a company blog and occasionally subversives get in there. Normally anything that qualifies as negative news about our company never sees "print" in any company webpages/memos/etc.

So some people take it upon themselves to post the bad stuff to the blog.

I did notice that if any of our execs get fired they get a three year severance package. (by contrast, I've worked there 12 years and get 30 weeks).

I shrugged, it happens.

This is what gets me. The highest three execs will be getting bonuses in excess of $900,000.00 for last year. Now, I suppose since we didn't suck the entire year they're entitled to it. But all those people we laid off. The ones whose absence will slow down our recovery, the ones making a fraction of the pay of the "deciders" are the ones who find themselves victims of "Accountability".

When they called Bush the CEO president, I knew we were in trouble.

[/rant ]