The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Sure. Who wants my D&D books?

Oh yeah, new crankly. Main circuit board in my furnace blew Monday. Gotta order a new one, gonna be at least Friday, probably later, before it comes in. Wind chill tonight? 20 below.

Actually, I think it started going wonky on Saturday. And, where I work it's set up so our heat is controlled from Texas, so it's not warm enough there either. So, now I'm sick. My boss sounded ticked off when I called in this morning, but since I'm having to help train someone for a job I've been passed over for SIX times, I don't really care what she thinks. On the plus side, the people who will eventually fix our furnace came by a little while ago with some space heaters so we can keep our pipes from freezing. I only hope that our lousy wiring will hold up under the extra strain.

. . . No good' date=' huh? Good luck, people.[/quote']

Thanks.

On the upside, I'm getting a little water out of the kitchen tap now, so they seem to be thawing. If we can avoid another deep freeze tonight (and miracle of miracles, they got the new board in BEFORE they predicted they would, it's just a matter of getting it over here and installed), we might pull through this okay.

Scratched the wall in the TV room downstairs, so I patched it and went and got the paint. My brother-in-law is a handyman, and he did a lot of the finishing work on the basement, including painting. One color in the main area, another in the TV room. Thought I was out of the main area paint and still had TV room paint. At least that's what the lid on the big bucket said. So I grab the paint and touch up that little area and . . . hey, when he put the paint away he used the wrong lid. So now I've got a big streak of the wrong color in the middle of the wall, and I'm out of the color it needs to be. Since no match is ever perfect, now I get to repaint the entire stupid wall. For a two-inch scratch I thought I'd patch "real quick".

Yo, @$$#@+, they are called "Best practices" for a reason.

Trying to do a mass deploy of Office using YOUR OWN LOGIN as the template is sub-moronic. It's even more annoying that you now refuse to own the problem and I have to spend my days cleaning up your laziness.

So how come when I'm driving behind you, you're doing 70. When I pull around to pass you, you immediately speed up to 75, once I get past you you speed up to 80 so you can pass me, and once you're safely past me you slow back down to 70??? :mad:

f'n Colorado drivers. :rolleyes:

Not limited to Colorado. I've seen that behavior all over the country. I do most of my highway driving using cruise control, so if someone is going even slightly slower than me I'll pass them so that I don't have to change my cruise settings. If the speed difference is only a few mph frequently what will happen is that as I change lanes to pass them they'll speed up. So then I'll get back behind them, at which point they slow down. :mad:

The place that I've driven that that happened the least was in Oklahoma.

Not limited to Colorado. I've seen that behavior all over the country. I do most of my highway driving using cruise control, so if someone is going even slightly slower than me I'll pass them so that I don't have to change my cruise settings. If the speed difference is only a few mph frequently what will happen is that as I change lanes to pass them they'll speed up. So then I'll get back behind them, at which point they slow down. :mad:

Yes, I use cruise control too. It probably happens elsewhere (I haven't driven extensively enough in other states to have noticed it), but when I describe the phenomenon to folks from other parts of the country, they always scratch their heads and say it's weird. :think:

I've seen contrary driving like that in Tennessee as well, not often mind you. I think the most common TN driving affliction is the either the rolling stop or the idea that a turn signal is really not needed because everyone within a half mile of you is expected to be psychic.

Yes' date=' I use cruise control too. It probably happens elsewhere (I haven't driven extensively enough in other states to have noticed it), but when I describe the phenomenon to folks from other parts of the country, they always scratch their heads and say it's weird. :think:[/quote']

Well, Bay Area drivers seem to have taken it up to the level of an art form. But then again highway traffic flows oddly around here anyway. Generally the slowest lane is the left-most. Because there seem to be quite a few people that feel the need to get in the leftmost lane and drive at or just under the speed limit.

Yo' date=' @$$#@+, they are called "Best practices" for a reason. [/quote']

Yeah, I hear ya. Here's my "best practices" story...

So I took all these trips to California to learn about the software they use and how to use it. I get home and a spend better than a month determining best practices (based in input from the vendor, the people who work in the office, and our company's policies) and writing SOPs.

When I get finished, I send the SOPs out to them. Not five minutes later, I get a call from them. "We don't do these things here," they said.

"Yeah, I know," I replied. "But you're going to need to start."

"No, that's not how we do things here," they tell me.

I go back and forth with them for a couple of weeks and finally throw up my hands. It's not worth my time. I did my job -- I lead them to the water, but I can't force them to drink.

Apparently, the company attorney is now having the exact same trouble with them. "I need you to send me these documents," she says. "Oh, we don't do that," they tell her. "I know, but I need you to start doing that." "No, that's not the way we do things here."

YAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::idjit::drink:

Wow, three crankies in one day! That's a new record for me. :(

They do that all the time around here. Josh notices it a lot more than I do; I don't mind speeding up to pass people, and I'm so used to it from driving in Massachusetts, I know you need to give it some speed or plan to be in the passing lane a while.

Josh learned to drive in downeast Maine, where there aren't many highways, and most roads are too curvy for safe passing. The biggest problem he had to deal with was seeing a car sitting at an intersection a mile ahead, who'd wait to turn onto the road until he'd turn RIGHT in front of you. Then he'd drive 10 MPH under the speed limit.

It drives him batty. I just don't pass people unless I'm prepared to speed up by 10 MPH or more. If it's just a couple MPH they're going slower than me (or there's a speed trap nearby), I'll just slow down, usually.

Well' date=' Bay Area drivers seem to have taken it up to the level of an art form. But then again highway traffic flows oddly around here anyway. Generally the slowest lane is the left-most. Because there seem to be quite a few people that feel the need to get in the leftmost lane and drive at or just under the speed limit.[/quote']

Here the middle lanes are the slowest, because people fear the walls. I kid you not.

A few snowfakes [that was intended to be "snowflakes", but it seems too relevant here] appeared over Seattle, so King County Metro went into their usual catatonic tizzy and any buses on routes that aren't strictly on the flats vanished into the void. And while I can get one of those flats-running routes into downtown, there is (oh no oh no i can't make it oh no) a HILL on which the university sits which prevents all bus service from running, even if there isn't a dribble of snow on it. And I know THAT because I had to hike up the damned thing to get to work.

It's not like this snow thing doesn't happen every winter. Everyone who works at Metro above the level of driver needs to have his kneecaps broken and then made to crawl on their ample bellies through a particular 1.3-mile tunnel lined with broken glass and rock salt.