The cranky thread

Hermit

I aggressively treat beginning colds with pseudo ephedrine and vitamin c. It's no miracle cure but it makes a huge difference whether my nose can at least drain or whether it becomes a solid clot of mucus, virus, and bacteria.

I have no cold at the moment, but the holidays are upon us, and with them, the fighting. She got mad enough this time that the kids were terrified--like shivering and bawling terrified. To date I've stayed in this thinking it was best for the kids, but now? I wish I was Captain Kirk, who didn't believe in the no win scenario.

IIRC you've talked about periods of her not getting out of bed, apparently out of control spending, and now some real rage events. I hate keyboard analysis as much as anyone, but I must ask - is she bipolar? Like old fashioned occasional psychotic break bipolar?

Aside from that: man that sounds really hard. I'm sorry you are having that experience, and I wish I could help.

I have a checking account at a major, "too big to fail" bank that was a joint account with my late housemate. Last month, and again this month, a "zombie" transfer moved money from this account into the housemate's savings account--an account that's locked down due to his death last year, and one that the "helpful" bankers in my local office refused to give me access (or the account number) after his death. They instead tried to sell me a refinance on my mortgage (got to love quotas). So, I called the 800 number, and talked to many folks, who were all trying to be helpful, until they figured out that the savings account was only in his name. That's when I threatened to close the account. The last agent decided to conference me in with the local branch, and I now have an appointment tomorrow to try to recover the savings account. I'm going into the meeting with exactly what I went in with last time: his death certificate and his will naming me both executor and sole beneficiary. There's a form for Nevada for claiming the account, which they say they will provide and notarize. We'll see.

Fun things I learned about Bank of Too Big to Fail:

1. So, it turns out that it's not really possible to turn off a recurring transfer with Bank of TBTF, unless you log in through the web as the original initiator of said transfer. Being the other person on a joint account won't do it either, as your online banking won't even list that there is a recurring transfer. Closing the original joint account will kill the transfer, which is what I've done.

2. The transfer request came in in April, or perhaps, May, and might have come from his computer. Of course, that computer was on briefly so that I could do his taxes, but since then it's been powered off, and the network cable disconnected from the router. I do have the late housemate's ashes on his computer desk, but I'd be more expecting of his ghost to play Thief or Skyrim than to perform arcane necromantic cyber-rituals involving a banking portal.

3. What's done can't be undone. Without the dead housemate's permission, the transfers can't be reversed (multiple people tried). The only recourse is to attempt to close the savings account, and have the proceeds given to me in the form of a check.

4. The local branch has had what appears to be a complete change of "personal bankers" and managers since my less-than wonderful experiences last year. This crop seems to be helpful, and willing to do actual "personal banking" stuff. I've filled out a request to close the savings account--a form that was available to the "wonderful" folks last year, but which they didn't ever offer.

5. OMG, even their own staff have to go through the horrible IVR system.

Thanks. My uncle was in a coma for over a week before passing earlier this evening. At least he isn't suffering anymore.

Still, second death this year (another uncle passed away a couple of months ago) and the second death in three years during the holidays (first was my dad two years ago).