The cranky thread

Hermit

On 6/22/2023 at 6:08 PM, tkdguy said:

My whole week was getting rejection letters from different jobs. Then the job websites send me emails saying Company X is interested in me. Company X just rejected my job application!

"Looking for jobs is like body-surfing in an ocean of broken glass, to be washed up on a beach of margarita salt."

-- me, in 1986, 1988, 1995, 2000, 2004

I have a LinkedIn account for work. Almost never use it personally. I often wondered how they make money. 

Now I know. 

I was asked to post a job on there by the powers that be. You can either post for free or promote the post for $32/daily. I can't even go in and edit the post unless I pay to promote it, and we put the wrong email in the description! And you only get 1 free post. Wow. I wonder how many people pay that extortionate price. 

I am learning to hate social media. At least watching the decline of Twitter is fairly amusing. 

I never did Facebook.  Aside from this board, the only other social thing I did on the internet (it was a PBEM, not really a web game) was the now-defunct series of electronic football leagues, which went belly-up when bureaucrats took away the server machine a couple of months before the pandemic hit.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Hungry.

Can't eat.

Dentist visit, mouth is still numb. 

Probably for hours. 

Several years ago I had some substantial dental work done and was told not to eat solid food for 2 days. I subsisted on Slimfast. It's not ideal, but it'll get you some nutrients.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear tech support, 

I know you hate your job and you deal with a lot of morons. I know there's a reason you have to ask "is it plugged in" sometimes. I get that. But when you ask me really stupid questions I've already answered, it doesn't help either of us. If I send a screenshot and you ask me if it's something else I get the feeling you don't know your software. Maybe this is beyond you. 

Dear tech support, 

I figured it out, no thanks to you. Go get some coffee, you've earned it after ignoring me all day today. 

If anyone's curious, it was some sort of coding thing I think, but I'm not a coder so I can't say for sure. I just took a wild guess at the solution, and it worked. I wonder how much I broke on the way...

We have a death in the family coming soon. My sister-in-law's husband brought his mother home for hospice care last week. Everyone, including the doctors, was surprised that she ever made it out of the ICU. But she's done. She says she just doesn't have the wherewithal to fight it anymore. Could be tomorrow, could be two or three weeks. Nobody really knows for sure, only that it will happen.

This happened just a few minutes ago. I heard a noise in the back yard and went out to investigate. Raccoons were in the back yard, so I shooed them away. I closed the back door only to find one of the babies had gotten in the garage. I tried shooing him out the back door, but that took forever. It kept running around the garage, scaring the cats that were there. Eventually I was able to drive it out the back door.