The cranky thread

Hermit

The HOA decided that my pony wall was in disrepair after the grounds crew smashed a lattice for the bougainvillea that was in back of it, and ripped out the box hedge that was in front of it for at least the last 20 years. They sent me a notice of violation, and I've now removed the fragments of lattice left around the branches, and I've repainted the pony wall a neutral color.

I've also bought a small garden gnome that's now in front of the wall. It might be joined by others if they keep up the complaints. 

On 9/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, Cancer said:

We lost a member of the gaming group this week, and not my wife, who is still contending with cancer.  Instead, it was another guy, three years younger than me, who succumbed to a case of non-Hodgkins lymphoma that was recognized less than a month ago.  (If you have unexplained pain in your shoulders, get yourself checked; it seems to be due to crosstalk between nerves that go on into the vital organs.)  I knew he was ill and had been diagnosed, but apparently he underwent total organ failure on Wednesday or Thursday.  Last night's gaming session was a remembrance.  For reference, the core of this gaming group started in the late 1970s, and I joined up with it in 1989 or so.

The memorial service was yesterday.

We had a memorial (no one used the word wake, but it was a wake, without the body, of course) for Dad yesterday. About 40 people came over,  of which I knew maybe three. It was pretty intense. I kept thinking of this,  though. 

We just had it at the house and we didn't have an official funeral  so this was it. I go back home Tuesday. 

When my stepdad passed I missed the big family goodbye because my company got hit with a Ransomware attack and it was all hands on deck for IT. So a few months later I went to another celebration that was more for his teacher friends back in Corvallis, it was pretty great - I knew most of them if only by name and reputation. I also heard some of the craziest tales of dad before he and my mom started dating. Wasn't worth losing him, but it was a 10/10 celebration of life. 

Thank you all for your support. I will conclude this life story with a not-so-cranky epilogue. 

One of my father's greatest frustrations was losing the ability to paint. I'm sure that's why he took to CAD so readily, being one of the first in the department to adopt its use for theater. When he could paint, though, he did a number of things besides his theater renderings (many of which are framed in the Windsor house). 

Stepmother asked if I would like to take anything home and these are the two I chose. These two pieces are from his earlier days though I'm not sure of the exact years.

Spoiler

Dad_-_Viking_painting.jpg?width=492&heig

Dad_-_Dragonrider.jpg?width=478&height=5

LGP slipped in the shower and hit her head. She has a gash about an inch long. We're in the emergency room now. They cleaned her up a little bit and put some numbing gel on the cut. They should be back in a few minutes to see if the swelling has gone down enough to put in staples. She's pretty lethargic, and the fact that she's nonverbal makes it even more  challenging.

And of course I feel like a crappy father and a worthless human being because it happened on my watch. I tried to catch her and I couldn't. I know it was just an accident, but I keep thinking back to what I could have done differently. I hate that she's suffering and I can't do anything about it.

Long overdue update: LGP is home and sleeping comfortably. She had a mild concussion, but in the fall she cut a vein in her scalp. So the bleeding was profuse (and scary), but superficial. It took three sutures and 11 staples to close the wound, which was actually closer to 3 inches long than 1 inch.

We need to keep her hair dry for 2 or 3 days, after which we can rinse it with warm water. The staples and sutures will stay in for 7 to 10 days. They gave us some antibacterial cream to apply morning and night, and she can have Tylenol and Motrin for the pain. It doesn't look like any lasting damage was done, which is a huge relief. Based on the amount of blood, I was terrified for a bit that she might not make it.

Now I'm off to bed to try to get some rest so that I can function like some kind of professional tomorrow at school.