The cranky thread

Hermit

1 hour ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Filling out dad's life insurance claim. That right there is fun enough. But they only accept fax or snail mail. Fax? Are you serious? It's 2023! This paperwork is insane. 

Oh, and a hurricane is coming to wipe (a good portion of) Florida off the map. Good times. 

You're about the only reason I'm not rooting for the hurricane ;)  Stay safe man.

The funeral for my brother-in-law's mom was today, but I didn't go. I woke up about 3:30 this morning needing to rush to the bathroom, and have been doing the same pretty much all day. I'm also feeling really weak, like walking to the bathroom leaves me winded weak, and I've had a killer headache off and on all day. I've slept a good chunk of the day, but I feel like I could go to bed right now and not get up until morning. Unless I have to run to the bathroom, of course.

Not my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just mailed back the last set of discs from the Netflix DVD service, I'm expecting two discs to be sent to me sometime next week, and I might receive up to 10 discs sent on September 29th, the last day that they are shipping them. None of the discs need to be returned, and I'm guessing that the bonus discs is a way of getting rid of a huge chunk of their library. Their reason for the "Final Season" was because it's becoming harder to source and maintain their discs, and the number of subscribers has dropped substantially in recent years. Unfortunately, the promise of streaming services having a large back catalog is largely fallen by the wayside, and the Netflix DVD service was one way to view some of the older movies from before the 1990s. 

Netflix DVD.jpg

Got back to Reading station to find the 19:29 train was cancelled and several others gong back and forth to the West Country had been cancelled. Hairy time waiting to find out if the 20:28 service would run. Thankfully it did. But it stopped everywhere. About 3 hours to get to Reading. Well over three on way back. And it rained. No taxis as per usual at the station.

Well, I gotta think about dropping $1.4k into a ten-year-old car, or giving up on it and getting a different vehicle.  Or drop back to just one vehicle entirely (a viable alternative, though there's a lot of medical appointments in the family that require car).  I've never been one to pay attention to the new car market.  Grumble.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Well, I gotta think about dropping $1.4k into a ten-year-old car, or giving up on it and getting a different vehicle.  Or drop back to just one vehicle entirely (a viable alternative, though there's a lot of medical appointments in the family that require car).  I've never been one to pay attention to the new car market.  Grumble.

You should save the grumbling for when you actually look at the state of the new car market.  And the used car market is worse.

On 10/1/2023 at 1:18 PM, Cancer said:

Have you considered an electric vehicle? They have made powerful improvements in the last few years and reduced the cost considerably. Today there's basically no cost difference between traditional gas powered and electric, electric last longer with MUCH fewer bills making costs less.  Even older models can travel farther than most people claim and require less charge time,  allowing more time on the road,  newer models will carry that to a higher level  - meaning nearly all day on the road between charging  (which only takes minutes).

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, tombrown803 said:

But your kids don't know how it was set! They had nothing to do with it. It was done by Not Me

Under cross examination, the almost 10 year old admitted that it was probably him. He was trying to set an alarm to remind him to watch a certain video, but forgot to set it to p.m.