The cranky thread

Hermit

On 1/10/2024 at 2:03 PM, Cancer said:

I am so sorry to hear this. I feel as though our online family has lost one of its own. mainly, I think, because it was before her time. Please take care of yourself, Cancer. My father died this weekend at 92 after a gradual and gentle and surprisingly happy slide for the last decade.  That's a good death, and you have twenty years of a good life to live for yourself and your family. 

Up until last year I did not get adverts on Youtube, Well now I do and it can be a complete pain. Fair enough between music videos but watching something like a documentary you don't want it to stop every few minutes. So I am watching last year's Mens and Womens Royal Rumble matches and every three minutes it cuts to an advert. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Edited by death tribble

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

Up until last year I did not get adverts on Youtube, Well now I do and it can be a complete pain. Fair enough between music videos but watching something like a documentary you don't want it to stop every few minutes. So I am watching last year's Mens and Womens Royal Rumble matches and every three minutes it cuts to an advert. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Last night I cleared out my "Watch Later" list on YouTube. That took a while because I had amassed long list (250+ videos) due to procrastination. I also unsubscribed from a bunch of channels I had stopped watching.

I can still watch the videos posted here and on Discord, without the ads. Otherwise, I can watch YouTube with Microsoft Edge. The trick is not to sign in.

Edited by tkdguy

Subscribing to YT is not free. YouTube Premium costs about $14 per month. It's cheap if you watch a lot of videos, but it's an added expense I can't afford at this time.

I should just watch more of another channel (MHz Choice) that has a lot of shows from different parts of the world, mainly Europe, but they've expanded.

I've a strong aversion to ads, and finances were such that I could add the Youtube subscription. It makes watching a Youtube video on a mobile device bearable, and I find that I'm using the included Youtube Music subscription quite a bit while I'm browsing my computer in the morning.

Paramount+ has been making me angry lately. I'm on a no-ads plan, so of course, they queue up a 30-second ad before each show. There's no skip button, but it's possible to mostly get rid of them by backing out and relaunching the show. The app is extremely buggy, though, and I've had it lock up twice on my new TV, and had videos marked unavailable until I cleared the app from running, and restarted.

Performing a hard drive upgrade on my computer, managed to somehow damage the power connection and cable on a different drive. Most of the important stuff was already copied to the new drive, and the majority of it should be on backups as well, though I'll need to search for them.

I feel really stupid about it, as I've literally connected and disconnected hundreds of SATA drives as a property tech, and with my puttering around with computers.

The power cable routes in back of the motherboard, and I don't want to disassemble the whole system, so one drive bay will remain empty.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Performing a hard drive upgrade on my computer, managed to somehow damage the power connection and cable on a different drive. Most of the important stuff was already copied to the new drive, and the majority of it should be on backups as well, though I'll need to search for them.

I feel really stupid about it, as I've literally connected and disconnected hundreds of SATA drives as a property tech, and with my puttering around with computers.

The power cable routes in back of the motherboard, and I don't want to disassemble the whole system, so one drive bay will remain empty.

This is why I quit building PCs altogether.

Thanks for all the support guys. My uncle is doing better although he's still in the hospital. It was his heart that was the problem. He is expected to recover.

It was his birthday when this happened.

Edited by tkdguy

On 1/27/2024 at 1:19 PM, Ternaugh said:

I had a portable drive that was having issues, and did something pretty stupid...I honestly don't recall what, at this point, it was several years ago.  Lost the entire drive.  Lost some older, personal stuff, I know.

My critical stuff goes onto one of my Google drives now, with the major username/drive mirrored on the PC.  

I stopped building PCs when I either fried the memory somehow, or it was just plain bad.  And for the last several years, there's no real point, at least for me.  I don't do hardcore gaming, so integrated graphics is perfectly fine.  There's plenty of outfits that put together basic boxes, with options for what I want to include.  

On 1/27/2024 at 3:36 PM, tkdguy said:

Thanks for all the support guys. My uncle is doing better although he's still in the hospital. It was his heart that was the problem. He is expected to recover.

It was his birthday when this happened.

Yeahhh...that's too much like how I heard the news about my mother.  It was 2011...we were caught up in a major freeze, considering how far south we are.  SERIOUS issues...the University shut down for 2 or 3 days, we had rolling power to a degree for 3 days.  So I was home...trying to finish off a new system build/OS install, that wasn't the brightest of moves during unreliable power, but I got it up eventually.  And it was my mother's birthday.  Tried to call...several times.  Finally heard back...from my *sister*.  My mother was in her home, where my sister was providing hospice care...she is a doctor...with help, IIRC, from a hospice caretaker.  Yeah...ok...I knew she was dying;  I'd made a trip up there a few months before.

But I hadn't known it'd gone to that.  At all.  

My mother died the mext weekend...but that, honestly, was mostly an anticlimax.  NOT entirely, mind, it never is, but it was clearly inevitable, and that it would be soon.

So, I'm glad to hear your father's going to recover.  There is no good time to get bad news, but there are bad times, and we can do no more than hope they don't happen.