The cranky thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally okay, apart from not being able to find a permanent job right now. However, my relatives are in bad shape. My aunt is prediabetic. One cousin has COVID, while another got T-boned on the same day she learned one of her friends passed away. My sister's friend also lost his mother. My mom just had a tooth extracted, and what's going on with the family is adding to her stress.

A few weeks ago, my new Xbox Series X broke (no video, but there was still sound), and I took it in to the service arm of a certain big-box retail chain, who checked it in, sent it to their service center, and accidentally killed the tracking tag when they went to send it into Microsoft, which generated a message thanking me for picking up my repair. Their local service number routes to a national call center, and, after talking to 4 agents on two calls, the advice was to go into the store. I've now been into the store twice, and am planning a third time Wednesday after work. Supposedly, either they will re-link a service number to my unit, or will get permission to replace the unit with a new one. I was supposed to be notified after two or three business days as to how it is to be resolved. 

A recent purchase of a 4K UHD movie had an insert that gave a digital copy, and another code on the back for the studio's rewards program. The digital copy's code worked, but the code for the rewards program didn't. An email to customer support got a reply after several days of "You don't seem to have an account", and "we'd like screen shots of the actual error". So I sent a screen shot of the actual error, which shows that I'm logged into my rewards account, and happens to show my point balance (with points from the codes from several other movies). I'm now waiting my 3 business days for a response. 

A recent purchase of some CDs directly from a record label arrived yesterday, but one of the discs was wrong. An email to their customer support, and now I'm waiting my 3 business days for a response on how to exchange for the correct disc.

(Why is all support now three business days?)

The really big tree in my front yard has apparently tapped into my sewer line. I'll be contacting my home warranty to get a plumber. I am guessing it won't be fully covered.

The Xbox has been found and sent back unrepaired, but I have the choice of either sending it to Microsoft myself, or a full refund (probably because of a terrible encounter with a different manager last night that I escalated to the store manager this morning). I'm taking the refund, and ordering another unit.

6 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The really big tree in my front yard has apparently tapped into my sewer line. I'll be contacting my home warranty to get a plumber. I am guessing it won't be fully covered.

Likely not.  

Across the street from me, the front yard had a big beautiful tree.  Until last year, IIRC...when it was removed.  Clogging the sewer lines, or buckling the concrete...not sure which.  Twas too bad.  

Of course, this weekend we ALL get to be cranky....

1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

I got my 2nd Shingles vaccine yesterday. Today, I feel awful. I ache all over, as if I had the flu. I expect this to continue for a few days.

I knew this was going to happen, but I can still be cranky about it.

Sympathies.  The shingles vaccine knocked me on my ass for a day and a half, both times.

I had to buy a new computer last week because mine was dying a miserable death. New one is Windows 11 which takes some getting used to. Like some of the very basic functionality which I took for granted is gone. And they force you to create a Microsoft account before you can login the first time. And they're forcing me to use said account when I don't want to. 

I'm very mad at them right now. But I'm at work on a stable Win 10 machine so not much I can do about home box right now. 

And don't get me started on my shoe buying experience this weekend. 

Woke up with a Charley horse. Storm outside. Cable guys making noise fixing whatever the hell has been wrong with my reception the last few days. I just noticed they'd moved the garbage bins when they blocked my driveway when the garbage men come by. I get dressed to bring the trash over to them garbageman gives me grief over the placement of the bins. Small wonder I yell back at him and anyone else who comes my way.

Mouse has been working badly. My slamming it on the pad in anger doesn't help. Same deal with my phone.