The cranky thread

Hermit

On 3/13/2023 at 6:55 AM, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I had to buy a new computer last week because mine was dying a miserable death. New one is Windows 11 which takes some getting used to. Like some of the very basic functionality which I took for granted is gone. And they force you to create a Microsoft account before you can login the first time. And they're forcing me to use said account when I don't want to. 

I'm very mad at them right now. But I'm at work on a stable Win 10 machine so not much I can do about home box right now. 

And don't get me started on my shoe buying experience this weekend. 

For home users, local accounts without a Microsoft account can be done, but it is extremely complicated to set up: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/install-windows-11-without-microsoft-account

The Microsoft account requirement can be bypassed for business users with an Active Directory domain.

Sympathies on the shoes; I wear a US 13 extra wide (though some brands don't run true, and I need a 14 or even a 15). Most shops like Foot Locker don't carry anything in-store, and "helpfully" offer to order them for me.

Sketchers is pretty good on having variety of extra wide shoes, but order from Amazon and not their website. Prices are generally lower and the Amazon dealers keep their inventory tracking updated whereas I've had 3 orders from Sketchers direct cancelled because the actual warehouse was out of stock contrary to the website.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:55 AM, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I had to buy a new computer last week because mine was dying a miserable death. New one is Windows 11 which takes some getting used to. Like some of the very basic functionality which I took for granted is gone. And they force you to create a Microsoft account before you can login the first time. And they're forcing me to use said account when I don't want to. 

I'm very mad at them right now. But I'm at work on a stable Win 10 machine so not much I can do about home box right now. 

And don't get me started on my shoe buying experience this weekend. 

You can work around the account, as was noted, but it's a PITA and you'll get nagged.  Generally, once you're back up, spend some time checking the various sites to streamline Win 11, because, yeah, there's so much junk in it.

Win 11 is also more hostile to older games than 10 was, and I *HATE* its file handling.  Not sure if it's scanning...or re-indexing...or what, but many times, switching over to a folder on my 4 GB secondary drive takes 20-30 seconds.  WHY?  It's not on the network.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

Sketchers is pretty good on having variety of extra wide shoes, but order from Amazon and not their website. Prices are generally lower and the Amazon dealers keep their inventory tracking updated whereas I've had 3 orders from Sketchers direct cancelled because the actual warehouse was out of stock contrary to the website.

A company's web site is almost always gonna be full price, and I'm not overly surprised they don't track inventory very well.  They should, if they're gonna do direct-to-consumer, but hey.  They're nice for Old Lazy Bums, tho, and yeah...I wear a 4E, and they have em.  I believe I've gotten all mine...I think 5 pairs total...from the Zon.

Grr....I hate smoke detector nag chirping.  SOOOO damn loud and irritating!  Had it silenced, as I was planning on going out *tomorrow* for several things, but it won't stay silenced quite long enough...and I really don't want it bleeping me awake at 5 in the morning.  Argh.  

Since I also had another one tap out...oh, a couple months ago...the heck with it.  Bite the bullet, replace the 4 others, so all 5 will be on a similar schedule, and at that point, replace one, replace all, moving forward.  Hate Wal Mart but they will have what I need and they're reasonably close by.

The good news is that the home covid tests were both negative. The bad news is that I've apparently caught the flu, even though I was vaccinated last fall. I basically ended up sleeping almost three days straight, lost most of my appetite, and I have an annoying cough that just won't go away. The jeans that were snug on me last week are much looser today, but it's not the method I'd recommend to lose weight.

A friend made a run to a Jewish deli for a few things, and I just finished a bagel with cream cheese that was absolute heaven. I'm getting tired again (the fatigue's the worst), so it's probably time to crash.

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

Are you going to have to do this next year?

Nope.  After the middle of this coming June, I'm done grading papers.  Apart from the rigid schedule, lecturing is not bad.  But paper-grading is second only to having to deal with idiots in the Administration in the list of Things I Hate About This Job.

Every year, I have to call up Sirius XM Radio to threaten to quit in order to get a reasonable rate for the next billing period. It's the same procedure. They thank me for being a subscriber since 2004, and then try to find a way to keep me to make their subscriber numbers look good. This year, it worked out to a 68% discount to keep me. I wish that they'd just offer me a reasonable rate up front, but I'm guessing they are hoping I'll forget to call.

On 3/14/2023 at 11:28 AM, tkdguy said:

Woke up with a Charley horse. Storm outside. Cable guys making noise fixing whatever the hell has been wrong with my reception the last few days. I just noticed they'd moved the garbage bins when they blocked my driveway when the garbage men come by. I get dressed to bring the trash over to them garbageman gives me grief over the placement of the bins. Small wonder I yell back at him and anyone else who comes my way.

Mouse has been working badly. My slamming it on the pad in anger doesn't help. Same deal with my phone. 

Update: The same day around noon, a falling tree caused a transformer to explode. It was a loud explosion. There was no power for 3 days, the lights coming back after 3 pm Thursday. Not too bad during daylight hours; I could keep myself busy. But hard to do stuff at night, even reading a book.

And part of my backyard fence has fallen over. Got to fix it.

Dexterity is on prescription cat food which is a pain in the ass. I can't just go buy a bag; he needs a prescription to authorize. So, shopping around for a better deal is not an option. It's pretty pricy, but a bag lasts four months which is not bad. But it is expensive. 

And the price just keeps going up. It is over $100 now. I mean... damn. He's lucky he's cute.  

So, I worked with the record company to get a return authorization, sent the disc back, and just received the replacement in the mail today.

It's a copy of the disc that I was shipped in error, and that I returned a week ago. Heck, it might be the same disc, for all I know.

I've emailed their customer support again.

Work has hired a cybersecurity team to give the company more thorough protection. Part of the onus on employees is we must watch some videos. 80 videos. With a quiz after each. And while the answers are pretty obvious to anyone with any knowledge of scams, you still have to watch because the wording on them is so awkward you have to see how they answer the question. Very poor stuff. And the pessimism and paranoia that is induced is just depressing. I still have 20 more to watch but I'm going to take a break to do something fun. 

Off to pay taxes. 

g help GIF

On 3/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Work has hired a cybersecurity team to give the company more thorough protection. Part of the onus on employees is we must watch some videos. 80 videos. With a quiz after each. And while the answers are pretty obvious to anyone with any knowledge of scams, you still have to watch because the wording on them is so awkward you have to see how they answer the question. Very poor stuff. And the pessimism and paranoia that is induced is just depressing. I still have 20 more to watch but I'm going to take a break to do something fun. 

Off to pay taxes. 

g help GIF

Last several years before I retired, the programs I was on required a clearance.  Some videos...not that many, as this goes back a ways.  Several quizzes, tho...and yeah, many questions were pretty obvious, but some had their gotchas.  Fortunately didn't have to do those TOO much.  These weren't for scams;  mostly, it was handling procedures, and avoiding compromising yourself/opening yourself up to manipulation or pressure, which can be more subtle.  I'll grant the paranoia that underpins this...but that never bothered me.  A certain degree of skepticism is, IMO, most healthy.