Am I Evil or What

Super Squirrel

My team got their first base last night. The wife of a reporter asked them to do so and offered them property if they could find anything regarding her missing husband. The adventure went without a hitch. In fact, they got more information than I expected.

So they earned the property. In Millenium City, adjacent to the Park, there is a small lot of land covered with woods. One day, while Rebecca and her husband had been exploring the property, they discovered an entrance. It lead to a 10 level, massive underground complex.

The players have their theories about the base. But their theories do not come close to the truth. For the base was built by Dr. Destroyer. Someday in the future, he will plan on using that base and won't the players be surprised when Dr. Destroyer comes in through their front door.

Re: Am I Evil or What

I initially misread, and thought your first sentence said the hero team got *to* first base last night - at which point I thought "Hm, sounds like an unusual campaign." :)

In any case, it sounds like a good set-up. Did Destroyer leave any tech or other clues behind that would provide clues as to who built the base, or any of his plans?

Unless the only thing he left behind was bare concrete and empty rooms(*), it'd be kind of hard for him *not* to -- Destroyer's tech base is appreciably above anybody else's, and he custom-makes all his stuff. *Especially* the life-support and security tech.

(*) Which is kind of hard, because if /nothing/ else, the life support systems still have to be in there or else they're now the proud owner of ten stories of concrete that have a slight oxygen deficiency problem...

... Diet Evil, at best.

I'd find it hard to believe Dr.D doesn't have security or at least an alert that someone's in there. Of course... he does. And it's so keen to have the heroes under such constant observation, isn't it?

And then there will be that time when Dr.D uses the base. Not that he intends to occupy it... but when he wants to accomplish something important and just locks all the heroes in there so they can't oppose him. Or just gasses them or nukes them or something without even having to show up.

It can be an interesting adventure (or set of adventures) while the heroes try desperately to escape their own HQ and overcome all these security features they didn't even know about.

But not yet... nooo, not yet. They need time to get used to having a base. They need time to consider the base an essential part of their team. Months from now, perhaps years... then you screw 'em over.

It might actually be more evil to make the players think Dr. Destroyer is going to take back his base than it would be to have him actually do it. Then they can just have this ever-increasing sense of impending doom. :eg:

In the meantime, you can regale them with stories of how sophisticated (and lethal) the security setup is; then make them decide if they want to dial it down a bit for safety. Let them gradually figure out whose base it is as they explore.

They are already talking about looking for bugs to be safe. What happened is it was a Dr. D base. He, for whatever reason, took all of his old equipment and moved it to a new location. Everything moved. However, I'm contemplating having an 11th level that still has equipment.

It wouldn't come up for a while, but it would certainly be an interesting episode.

Or just wait until the alien invasion shows up and the base rises up out of the earth, transforms into a giant mecha, and begins laying waste to both the city and invaders....

Which leads to the question, who the heck would build a giant mecha made of concrete ?

Ok, lame but amusing none the less...

I beleive to acheive true evil you should play up the whole destroyer angle then finally them with Foxbat...he built the base...who else would just leave it lying around...:)

I like that... I like that a whole lot.

The base looks, feels and smells just like Dr. Destroyer. Equipment that has physical traces leading back to Dr. Destroyer is discovered in a secret room.

Now how to turn it into a Foxbat plan.

The base looks, feels and smells just like Dr. Destroyer. Equipment that has physical traces leading back to Dr. Destroyer is discovered in a secret room.

How about this: Foxbat actually hired someone with competence (i.e. the contractors who built the place. It was an accident, he didn't plan it that way!)? Who knew?

Then later, while he was working in the lab, Foxbat mixed up a particularly noxious bunch of chemicals that stunk the place up (but he thought it was more dangerous than that so he cleared out permanently). Eventually the fumes cleared or became benign.

Voila! Empty, abandoned place! :D

Mags

Guest WhammeWhamme

You know' date=' if these players are still in that game, they must *enjoy* role-playing masochism...[/quote']

Well, it's not hard. The feeling of 'we could get splatted any second' is funny. :)

Simple, Foxbat has read one too many Marvel comics with Arcade in it. Foxbat decides he should lure his chief rival into a trap! Who is his chief rival? Why, Dr. Destroyer of course! They are both masterminds after all...

(Remember, Foxbat is no respecter of point levels or anything else for that matter... to him, this should make perfect sense that he and the doc are 'Peers'.)

But how to lure Dr. Destroyer in? Well, you capture roaches in Roach motels, therefore, to capture Dr. Destroyer, he attempted to make a Dr. Destroyer base. Everyone knows the Doc is kinda old now ("Like, wow, over 40! at least!") and old people are forgetful. So, Foxbat figures Dr. Destroyer will stumble on it, go "Gee, I must have forgotten about this base" and move right in. NOW Foxbat has him, for hidden in the base is the ultra secret "Level 13!" (sure, it's actually the 11th, but "Level 13" sounds so much cooler).

Level 13 is laced with traps and devices galore to detain the target... FOREVER! So Foxbat can go on with his "Master Plan" with one less rival.

Imagine Foxbat's frustration when Level 13 captures a group of superheroes instead...

"You're awfully short for a really powerful villainous meglomaniac, aren't you?"

;)

You know' date=' if these players are still in that game, they must *enjoy* role-playing masochism...[/quote']

My players love role-playing and most of them do a good job. One player needs to be de-munchkined and another needs to stop playing secretive characters, otherwise I have one of the best groups out there.

Well' date=' it's not hard. The feeling of 'we could get splatted any second' is funny. :)[/quote']

We've managed to base an entire campaign off of total paranoia.

It helps that a few of us are a few steps shy of full blown conspiracy theorists ... or maybe we're just crazy.

The GM hasn't had to think of a plot twist in years because we (the players) are so off the hook paranoid from several incidents he did make like three years ago we make our own.

He sits back and just listens to the characters rant about all the things that COULD go wrong and who MIGHT be behind this or that .. and well, he picks one.

Our group is one giant self fullfilling prophecy. And we're so gonna get pulped someday.