Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Guest Skaramine

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Oh' date=' I wasn't confusing him at all with Pepe, but after looking him up he was a mouse. I think French Canadian as well.[/quote']

A Quebequoi mouse.

Egad!

Thou art guilty of sinning to the 12th degree for invoking the Ben to close threads !

I didn't invoke anyone. Others likely did.

Thy day is coming sinner and thy punishment is nigh !

And its name is Mightybec and he arriveth with a tub of vaseline....

Can't be much worse than the overreactions I've received to date. Some people seriously need some perspective.

But thanks for having a sense of humor about it. :)

What a great idea. :D

Got one box sent off today. Made a mistake on how much could fit though. The flatter boxes won't take two stacks unless I cram them and even if I was sending crap comics, that would be wrong.

So 60 in one stack in the other style of box.

I wonder how much voice actors charge... not like "I'm normally a movie star and I'm doing this to help my image with kids" voice acting, but "I work for ADV or FUNimation" voice acting.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

According to this article, the annual salary is $27k.

Dang. They make $550 per session? You'd think for that, some of 'em could make some effort at it . . .

Sorry.

There is a subtle satisfaction in having a man to whom you were once a beginning student and from whom you learned the greater majority of your esoteric food knowledge introduce you two years later to one of his new students as "My colleague' date=' Chef Jack Butler".[/quote']Darn right!

Congratulations.

It's always nice to see self-sacrifice, discipline and hard work pay off.

Three cheers for Worldmaker! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Darn right!

Congratulations.

It's always nice to see self-sacrifice, discipline and hard work pay off.

Three cheers for Worldmaker! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Huzzah! Huzzah! Hoo Ray!

:) And I mean that seriously, that sort of thing is something to be proud of

I wonder what's a good publishing house for a beginner to try out first?

Depends on what you've written.

Get your hands on a copy of Writer's Market. It has info about all the publishers in the US, including submission guidelines, an overview of what they're interested in publishing, how many manuscripts they accept . . .

Small presses are generally more hopeful than big names, since you're not buried under a pile of slush. But small presses also have tighter competition, since they publish fewer books.

And for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT go to PublishAmerica.

Baen seems to be pretty good for newcomers. See John Ringo, for instance.

Now if he could get his focus back...

Depends on what you've written.

Get your hands on a copy of Writer's Market. It has info about all the publishers in the US, including submission guidelines, an overview of what they're interested in publishing, how many manuscripts they accept . . .

Small presses are generally more hopeful than big names, since you're not buried under a pile of slush. But small presses also have tighter competition, since they publish fewer books.

And for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT go to PublishAmerica.

According to this article, the annual salary is $27k.

Dang. They make $550 per session? You'd think for that, some of 'em could make some effort at it . . .

Sorry.

Amazingly enough, I've actually heard back from some of the voice actors when I explained what I wanted to do (create a wholly original trailer with the DBZ voice actors). And while the news is admittedly depressing (through no fault of theirs), it's nice that they wish me luck.

One response went like this:

"Well, it certainly sounds like an exciting project. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you've got a definite uphill battle. Legal entanglements aplenty. Funimation owns the rights to the U.S. distribution/merchandising of DBZ, and ultimately Toei in Japan would have to agree in the first place to novel spinoffs, especially for a foreign market. Since the cast is all contract labor, we are unable to lend those character voices to any unauthorized, unofficial, unlicensed product. So without Funimation backing it, I'm afraid your novel is pretty much stuck in the fanfic realm. I apologize for dampening your spirits on what seems like a very passionate and heartfelt project. I would advise an email to Funimation to possibly inquire about the licensing rights for novelizations. Ya never know! Best of luck!"

Personally, I appreciate that someone "on the inside" took the time to explain to me what I'd need to do. Although it's kind of ironic - the reason I want to do the trailer in the first place is to convince FUNimation/Toei that I'm serious and I want this done, but to do the trailer, I need the permission I'm trying to get in the first place... Oh well.

Still, I'm going to keep trying.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

*grr*

Almost an hour spent searching the Internet, and I can't find what I'm looking for. Damn it...

Anyone on here know where I can find a good-sized 2-3 or 3-d graphic representation of the Greek letter Omega (uppercase, not lowercase)? I need it for an art reference. Color doesn't matter.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Something like this? I Couldn't find what you were asking for online either. So I whipped this up real quick. I can make adjustments as needed, Let me know :)

Nifty!

Hmm... don't suppose you could have it look something like this... (what they're standing on)?

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Angled back like that? I'll give it a shot. :)

Edit: I'm afraid the 3d is eluding me. This is the best I can do right now. Mayhaps one of the gurus on here can do better when they get here, or can give me pointers on it. Maybe on of the guys using the 3d rendering things (in the Champions forum) can get this.

Hey' date=' Log, glad to hear school is over for now. What's the final score?[/quote']

I'm not really sure. It doesn't feel over. I don't have that big feeling of relief that I usually have. Weird. I'm sure it's just a side effect of all online classes. Still, that's nine more grad hours out of the way. Next semester: Internship. Probably unpaid. :idjit:

On a positive note, I finally built a homepage for one class, and I think I'm going to keep it going. I'll be tinkering with that all summer. I'll let you all know when it's ready for viewing :D