Corven_Ren

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Worldmaker

Re: The Incredibles

Saw it for the third time last night.

This film absolutely and with no qualifiers is the best superhero movie ever made, with no equals.

I actually forgot that the Incredibles was coming out this weekend. I usually do NOT like premiere showings.. don't like the crowds, waiting in lines. My girlfriend and I prefer a matinee (she has Wednesdays off and I'm, well, a freelancer).

But we were having dinner with another couple and we decided to go. We ended up arriving at the theater 45 mins ahead of the next show. Good thing, there was already a line, the previous show had sold out. So it all worked out well.

Like Trebuchet, I immediately fell in love with the Bondian soundtrack. I love the characters and the set designs. It was funny. It was touching. It was great. Loved the whole thing from frame 1 to the credits (credits were great, btw, wonderful iconic shapes). The jungle fight scenes must have taken thousands of man hours... I wuz blown away. Elastic-girl/mom/woman checking out her butt in the mirror... priceless.

Absolutely perfect, note perfect, voice acting. Whodathunk Coach and mama figure from the Piano could be/ would be supa-heroes!?!??

My friends and my girlfriend, none of them are steeped in comic lore, all loved it too. So it is not just a love letter to comics (and the Fantastic Four, c'mon, isn't that Mole Man at the end?!?!), but totally understandable by the mainstream as well. That doesn't happen all that often. I can't tell you how many times I've been watching the Hulk, Spiderman, Xmen and crack up at some inside joke and my girlfriend is like; "what is so funny". Then having to explain all the wrestlers in Daredevil movie are artists who have worked on Daredevil comic.... it ain't funny anymore.

And does anyone recognize the modern art painting in the living room of the Parrs/Incredibles?... cute little word play there too. Or was that painting totally made up.

Guest xHazard

Finest superhero movie I have ever seen, bar none. And I really liked the teamwork they showed when using their powers. Put's most of my old Champions groups to shame.

And how would you go about writing up Violet and Dash's little "hamster ball" maneuver. :)

Guest Worldmaker

And how would you go about writing up Violet and Dash's little "hamster ball" maneuver. :)

I'd give the power to Violet, and write it up as Running useable by others, linked to a Force Wall with the Mobile advantage on it, and finish it off with the limitaiton "Only if Dash Is Inside The Force Wall".

I'd give Violet mobile Force Walls. The running inside the hamster ball is really just a special effect of Dash's superrunning while "carrying" his sister. At most it would be a good use of Power Tricks. If they started using it offensively to bowl down mooks then I'd make them buy it to represent getting skillful enough to hit intended targets.

Sometimes I think there is too much emphasis on buying Powers here.

I'd give Violet mobile Force Walls. The running inside the hamster ball is really just a special effect of Dash's superrunning while "carrying" his sister.

I agree. I was thinking on the way home that it was convenient that Violet and Dash had that experience point from the first session to buy their 8- Power Skills while on the island.

Sometimes I think there is too much emphasis on buying Powers here.

Agreed again. I myself would like to see more use of Power Skill and "special effects" and less use of 20+ slot Multipowers to explain certain characters.

I agree. I was thinking on the way home that it was convenient that Violet and Dash had that experience point from the first session to buy their 8- Power Skills while on the island.

Agreed again. I myself would like to see more use of Power Skill and "special effects" and less use of 20+ slot Multipowers to explain certain characters.

And thus begins another 20 page on the right way to build characters in Champions. :D

Absolutely awesome superhero movie. It's not just for fans of the genre. (And who didn't like Boundin', the short at the beginning?) A wonderful film for adults as well as kids.

My only beef was with casting. Jason Lee did a good job as "Sindrome" but I don't care what anyone says. That guy looked like John Lithgow in Buckaroo Banzai. I kept expecting him to call Mr. Incredible a monkeyboy!

I saw the movie this morning. I've found early Sunday matinees to be a great time to see kid targeted movies. My wife and I had the theater nearly to ourselves, and the only others there were also adults. Mark down two more 33-year-olds who loved this movie!

Great show! My wife & kids enjoyed it every bit as much as I did. Too bad today's comic books don't pack that kinda of energy. All of us walked away wanting to see more adventures. These rare gems of a movie are a great way to introduce younger people to the wonderful world of role playing games, where the adventures never end as long as you have your imagination.

Enjoy! :)

My girlfriend and I saw it, loved it. We are 36 (me) and an undisclosed-but-past-the-age-of-majority-not-gonna-fall-into-that-trap (her), went to a 5:30 on the opening day (matinee price!) and the crowds were not too bad. My girlfriend snatched up the kid in front of her for being obnoxious only once, and the running dialogue from the two young ladies behind me only caused me to give 2.5 withering looks before they moved. Overall normal viewing for Detroit.

I especially like the bit that drove the Incredibles and other heroes out of the Superhero business: lawsuits. I have wrestled with that particular thorny issue in my games before and it is one of the reasons that one of my players has adopted a superheroic persona (Minuteman) despite the fact that everyone effectively knows who he is (The actor who played Minuteman in the movie, he even uses the costume from the film). Superhero code names and such developed directly as a result of the possibility for lawsuits, and the government in my game continues to wrestle with the thorny problem, everything from a "good samaritan" bill has been floated to a ban on parahumans. The players will eventually become involved :D

Guest bblackmoor

[sindrome] looked like John Lithgow in Buckaroo Banzai. I kept expecting him to call Mr. Incredible a monkeyboy!

I liked the Heat Miser hairdo.

Saw it tonight. Great movie. I'll stop short of calling it the best superhero movie ever, but it's in rare company in my opinion.

RE: Hamster Ball. Special effect for a move by/move thru. Dash is carrying Violet, who is defending them with a forcewall centered on her and using either Strength bought Indirect or Telekinesis (remember that forcewalls do not have action/reaction) to take the place of "STR" in the equation.

Just saw it.

Absolutely amazing. Better than most of the live action movies I've ever seen. Top tier superhero movie.

I'd go on about the details of why I love The Incredibles, but I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. Normally, spoilers don't bother me, but trust me, it'll be even better if you don't know what happens going in.

So, who else took one look at the archvillain, and guessed what would happen to him in the end?

Just saw it.

Absolutely amazing. Better than most of the live action movies I've ever seen. Top tier superhero movie.

I'd go on about the details of why I love The Incredibles, but I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. Normally, spoilers don't bother me, but trust me, it'll be even better if you don't know what happens going in.

So, who else took one look at the archvillain, and guessed what would happen to him in the end?

Admittedly, didn't think of it. This movie is so gripping I was very "in the moment" and mostly didn't think about what was happening next.

(snip)

Absolutely perfect, note perfect, voice acting. Whodathunk Coach and mama figure from the Piano could be/ would be supa-heroes!?!??

My wife, being in radio, was impressed that a radio talent, the woman from NPR, got cast. It's good to see voice talent actually get voice roles.

My friends and my girlfriend, none of them are steeped in comic lore, all loved it too. So it is not just a love letter to comics (and the Fantastic Four, c'mon, isn't that Mole Man at the end?!?!), but totally understandable by the mainstream as well. (snip)

Absolutely, my wife isn't a big comic book fan and doesn't know much of that stuff, either, but she also thought it was the very best of the superhero films and enjoyed it entirely in its own right.

This movie really brings back the magic of reading superhero comics for the first time, too, it really is "movie magic".