IHA Help

incrdbil

Genocide of the past is now thwe IHA--or at least the front publicity organization. The agents and robots, of course, wouldn't use that name, if any name. But every group eventually gets a name--so what would be the name for the front group that carries out the violent anti-mutant activities in secret for the parent iHA organization?

Genocide would seem to be traditional, but for a publicity point, too negative. Here;s a few off the top of my head: suggestions welcome, even begged for.

Human Liberation Front

Humans First!

Genetic Purity League (doubtful--too Aryan sounding)

Defenders of Humanity ( aspin name, trying to adopt a 'vigilante organization image?)

Re: IHA Help

I would go with Genocide for much the same reason as Southern Cross- the group will be named by the public based on their actions and no matter how many lofty names they call themselves, once they show up and start attacking superhumans, the press will start calling them Genocide as a descriptor of those actions. Perhaps they call themselves by some other name but still get stuck with that moniker?

You have to remember the mindset of the people behind the IHA -- they're not going to use something that sounds like something a drugged-up hippie would use, but they also don't see themselves as evil.

So they might call themselves Society for the Prevention of Genocide, and end up being *called* Genocide by their opponents...

Why not tie it into some of the imagery they already have - ie the "Minuteman" robots?

Two ways - patriotic/Revolution or time-based/

*The Militia / Human Militia - hearkens back to colonial militias, in current culture has extremist connections, implies normal folks coming together to fight. "Minutemen" robots hearken back to the old colonial rebels.

*Midnight - as in "X minutes to midnight", the countdown to apocalypse. They believe the critical time to take action is now. By defeating mutants, the robots give humanity more time, hence "Minutemen".

I would go with Genocide for much the same reason as Southern Cross- the group will be named by the public based on their actions and no matter how many lofty names they call themselves' date=' once they show up and start attacking superhumans, the press will start calling them Genocide as a descriptor of those actions. Perhaps they call themselves by some other name but still get stuck with that moniker?[/quote']

I don't know if the press would start using such a strong name as "Genocide" fpr any organization unless that was used by the group itself. If a group claims credit for an attack, they usually give themselves a name, which the press then picks up and uses. Sometimes those names are shortened or changed a bit, but usually the names (especially nowadays in the age of the 15 second soundbite) are short and easy to use.

So they might call themselves Society for the Prevention of Genocide' date=' and end up being *called* Genocide by their opponents...[/quote']

Which I believe is the more likely way how the name "Genocide" might come to be used by the press. However, I could see some people referring to the group as "Genocide" if they don't agree with the groups goals, or "The SPG" if they do, or if the news wished to not use the word genocide in their newscast.

I kind of like the idea of using "victim" names, at least for the more local branches. Something like the "Teddy Miller Brigade of Humanity's Hope". And the nice thing about this is that Teddy Miller could be an innocent kid who was caught in the blast of some fire-based villain's attack, or he could be a lowlife who was stopped by a mutant hero. Either one is a victim of a dirty-gene rampage, according to the human supremacists...

Pure Earth Society* - Alluding to keeping the Earth's environment clean, but actually the DNA. Best 'secret society' name I've ever used.

*Unfortunately, I didn't make this name up (I don't think). I've used it before in both Champions 4E and in Top Secret S.I. It might be that it's been used by one of these two before, or that I've used it for both gaming systems so long ago that I forgot that I made it up (but it's probably the former).

HUMANE - Helping Unite Mankind And Nurturing Equality, but the secret is Helping Unite Mankind Against New Evils.

or

HUMANITY - Same as above but drop the E and add International Trust Yearly, with the secret being Nations Infested with Tumorous Yahoos. (The Gulliver's Travels version.)

maybe

HELP - Humans Ending Life's Problems - Like PES again, set up as a charity type or "world sympathizer," but really considers "Life's Problems" to be rooted in mutants.

Use what you can.

You could give a name that reveals little about their specific goals' date=' but sounds noble... like Aegis.[/quote']

In a shared world Champions campaign, the GMs settled upon Aegis as the name of the anti-mutant combat force.

Aegis definition from American Heritage Dictionary (listed on Dictionary.com)

1. Protection

2. Sponsorship, Patronage

3. Guidance, Direction, or Control

4. Mythology - Athena's shield

Pure Earth Society* - Alluding to keeping the Earth's environment clean' date=' but actually the DNA. Best 'secret society' name I've ever used.*Unfortunately, I didn't make this name up (I don't think). I've used it before in both Champions 4E and in Top Secret S.I. It might be that it's been used by one of these two before, or that I've used it for both gaming systems so long ago that I forgot that I made it up (but it's [i']probably[/i] the former).
The Pure Earth Society was an offshoot of Genocide in the Mutant File supplement published for 4E. They posed as an environmental organization, then slowly started blending mutant-hate in there - treating paranormals as threats to the environment.Might just be coincidence that you came up with the same name, though.

The Pure Earth Society was an offshoot of Genocide in the Mutant File supplement published for 4E. They posed as an environmental organization' date=' then slowly started blending mutant-hate in there - treating paranormals as threats to the environment.[/quote']

Nah, that's probably it. I checked the book after you mentioned it and its copyright date is 1989, 16 years ago. I'm sure I used the name from there. It's still a great name, in my opinion. (To me, much better than the IHA.)

I'm quickly ramping up the IHA in my campaign--they are soon going to steal/acquire ranged mutant scanning technology, then make the jump up to properly armed super-agents.

Besides the terribly cliche giant mutant hunting robots, I'm going to stealanother X-Men bit--brainwashed mutants used as disposable assassains to kill other mutants.

Still sortign out the name for the militant group, so many good choices I have now.