4/14 ED 0
9 SPD 40
8 REC 0
40 END 0
40 STUN 0
6" RUN03" SWIM110" LEAP6Characteristics Cost: 232

Cost Power END
25 Armor (10 PD/10 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (37 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) 0
31 Flight 50", Position Shift, x64 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (195 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; Side effect of speed cause damage; -2 1/2), Activation Roll 8- (-2), Linked (Armor; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) 0
27 Healing BODY 3d6, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection (55 Active Points); Linked (Armor; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -1/2), Self Only (-1/2) 5
15 Luck 7d6 (35 Active Points); Linked (Armor; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -3/4), Always On (-1/2) 0
Powers Cost: 98

Cost Perk
5 Money: Well Off
Perks Cost: 5

Cost Talent
3 Lightning Calculator
5 Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with +3 DEX to act first with All Actions
4 Speed Reading (x10)
Talents Cost: 12

Total Character Cost: 347

Val Disadvantages
20 Dependence: Junk Food (need for Speed) -30 Active Points from Affected Power (Common, 1 Hour)
25 Distinctive Features: Cobalt Blue hair with silver streaks (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
20 Hunted: FBI : tracking character and observing for evaluation of use to US government 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
35 Hunted: Viper 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)
25 Psychological Limitation: Must protect Innocence (Very Common, Total)
25 Psychological Limitation: Total Honesty (Very Common, Total)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: I Give Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out my wonderful new character submission from one of my players.

:weep:

BWA HA HA.

Why Lightning Reflexes? How many 44 Dex characters is he going up against?

Nice use of Linking. :rolleyes:

Very poor use of maximizing Limitations without coresponding effiency in his stats. Instead we get an Activation roll on his primary power? Bah. D- character, F for effort.

oh heck, let him play it. His flight works on an 8-?

10 resistant defenses. Just a few Area Affect killing attacks, (after the AE entange that takes no damage from attacks). Add an armor drain while you are at it.

Then ask him about his new character.

Here is probably how I would respond:

1) This character is Thought but with different hunteds and psych limitations.

2) My campaign is not a "lets have a higher dex than the last new character introduced" campaign.

3) Do you remember the talk Mitch and I had with you about Always On?

4) Active Point Limits for new characters is 60. You have spent 195 points.

5) Do you remember the talk Mitch and I had with you about Linked?

6) I'm glad you bought 3d6 Healing, Ressurrection, Self Only. It is too bad you didn't buy it regeneration as I plan on killing this character 30 seconds into combat.

7) I just noticed you bought all stats to 20. Go sit in the corner!

8) Blue Hair is not Not-Concealable. It is also not Extreme Reactions.

9) Your character can move 28,800" in 60 seconds. He is not easy to find for the FBI.

10) Viper is not an acceptable 14- Hunted. Furthermore, your character can move 28,800" in 60 seconds. He is not easy to find.

11) Protecting Innocents is not Very Common. I will permit Uncommon.

12) Total Honesty is not Very Common. I will permit Common.

Furthermore, your character can run and he can heal himself. He has no skills at all and no combat potential. With his current write-up a move through would kill your character as you take half-damage. I know your favorite tactic is to grab the enemy, fly a full move and drop him. That should be amusing when I put you up against Mechanon. Or how about an agent built with an explosive belt with Trigger to detect a change in air pressure.

Right. So he has no attacks or defenses' date=' he just flies REALLLLY fast. Tell the player the guy will make a great NPC delivery boy but that he needs to make a new PC. :D[/quote']

12d Move-by with a 13 OCV.

Of course, he'd only be able to move 1/4 of the time.

I would just tell the player, this character is unsuitable. Maybe write up a speedster that he could play.

Lazy squirrel stealing his wife's login for this one...

21d6 Move Thru would put half damage at 10d6 doing an average of 35. After armor would leave him STUNNED and at less than half. It would take one phase to recover, and two recoveries to recoup from the damage.

Effectively makes him a SPD 3. :D

Combat Wombat or Limitation Lass?

I'd be tempted to allow the character to be played as-is... except that Always On (on Armor??? how is that limiting?) added to Linked ("only when greater power is at full" no less) really sets my teeth on edge.

Nonetheless, combat would be amusing.

Phase 2: activation fails. do nothing.

Phase 3: activation fails. do nothing.

Phase 4: activation fails. do nothing.

Phase 6: activation fails. do nothing.

Phase 7: activation fails. do nothing.

Phase 8: activation fails. do nothing.

Phase 10: activation succeeds. try your move-through attack. watch as one of those pesky Viper agents hunting you uses his held action from hiding to hit you with a huge Dispel vs. Armor which you have foolishly not bought Inherent.

Phase 11: impact wherever it is your now-no-longer-available Flight catapults you to.

Phase 12: hope somebody cleans up the smear, since that Regeneration is also no-longer-available.

Post-12 Recovery: everybody sits around and has a good laff at your expense.

12d Move-by with a 13 OCV.

Of course, he'd only be able to move 1/4 of the time.

I would just tell the player, this character is unsuitable. Maybe write up a speedster that he could play.

Okay, let me re-phrase, no RELIABLE attack.

Blue = the new munchkin

8) Blue Hair is not Not-Concealable. It is also not Extreme Reactions.

I do not know...I think it would be fun to let him keep this as written.

"Funny, the dye didn't take."

"No matter what you do, your hair just pops out from under your hat."

"Nope, the hood on your cloak does not cover it either for some reason."

"Can I identify him, officer? Sure! Yes, as a matter of fact he was mostly a blue except for his blue hair with silver streaks in it."

And even more fun when everyone he meets is like...

"Blue hair with silver streaks?! I f-ing hate blue hair with silver streaks! Die! Die! Die!"

Looks similar to something I did when I entered a Champions game for the first time. They were nice enough to let me in the game (I think I was 13 back then), even though the character was totally unbalanced, poorly constructed, and under normal circumstances most GM's would say "no", but I was young.

I actually managed to make the character last the day, but not only did he not contribute to the combat situation, he got himself blicked by doing something stupid.

That being said, if this isn't a thirteen-year-old or thereabouts, repeat after Nancy Reagan: Just say no.

Thank you Super Squirrel. I lack quick access to Hero Designer, as I have been waiting for it for months now. Anyway ...

This is not necessarily so bad. The disadvantages suggest a hero, not a villain. That's always the most important thing for me. The main hunters are bad guys. The psychological limitations are dull and incoherent but trend good. The powers and characteristics add up to a super-fast speedster, so there is the seed of a superhero power concept there.

Of course, if you're looking for someone who can play this game, forget it. Obviously this player has no clue, and doesn't even know enough to avoid being half-smart.

But I would not be unhappy to see a character submission like that (except for the ridiculous squeezing of the system for points). I like people who like superheroes. Abject ignorance of Hero system is fine by me.

Only, if you decide abject ignorance is acceptable, now comes the litmus test. You obviously need to re-write the character completely, since the player is not up to it. When you've got the character's purchases worked out - which shouldn't take long - you'll need to talk to the player about disadvantages, especially psychological limitations, what they are worth, and what others might be appropriate. At that point, the player either works with you or not. That's the test.

If the player works with you, you have a player who wants to play a superhero and who wants to work with the gamemaster, but has no clue on how to generate a character in Champions, and almost certainly no clue on how to play the game sensibly.

If the player doesn't work with you, you shuffle the psychology, history and hunteds around a bit, and file the new villain among your "soldier villains".

If the player should know better, let him play the character.

Then enforce the illegalities in-play.

It's an illegal construct - pfft, doesn't work. Want to try something else with your action? Run 6" away? OK. None of the larger linked powers work until he buys the Armor up above them (195 AP flight? That'll take a while...) and can provide a good explanation on why luck, superspeed, and healing are so connected to armor. And don't allow the Armor or Luck to work until he buys off "Always On" or can provide enough reasoning on what the downsides are to benefit from the limit.

I'm betting he'll come up with a more reasonable character fairly quick.

Here's his "attack" power:

Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; Side effect of speed cause damage. I don't think he's even planning on attacking anyone, just running past them (not move by).

He's going to really need that 40 Dex. Yeah, right.

Actually, he has quite a powerful attack. It is the 'side effect' of his flight power.

195 active point power, with a 'side effect' that doesnt affect the character himself, but only the 'nearby environment' bought as a -2 1/2 limitation!

I'm not sure how he got -2 1/2, but I am pretty sure he started with 'Extreme Side Effect' (60 active, or the Ap of the power, whichever is higher) for -1. Always occurs would double it. Only the environment would lose it 1/4...

Anyway, I am almost sure he was relying on flying by (but not actually doing a move by) on his foes and doing a whopping 39d6 "side effect" to them.

Here's his "attack" power:

Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect only affects the environment near the character; Side effect of speed cause damage. I don't think he's even planning on attacking anyone, just running past them (not move by).

He's going to really need that 40 Dex. Yeah, right.

Bah! You beat me by 3 minutes while I was typing and double checking the rules!

Anyway, I am almost sure he was relying on flying by (but not actually doing a move by) on his foes and doing a whopping 39d6 "side effect" to them.

That's my thought. And he won't even have to make an "attack" roll for the side effect to work. Sheesh.