YOU KNOW THE d20 WELL HAS RUN DRY WHEN...

BishopofB&W

From Knights of the Dinner Table #101, page 80.

YOU KNOW THE d20 WELL HAS RUN DRY WHEN...

1. You keep hearing rumors that AEG and Eden Studios are fighting over the rights to do Desperate House Wives d20.

2. WotC lays off an employee and for the first time that individual DOESN'T turn around and start up a d20 publishing company of his own and compete. The d20 community is shaken to its core as to the implications.

3. d20: Blackpowder Era comes out and siphons sales from D20: Modern Era products. 3.5 d20 Modern is upgraded to d20 Modern 3.5: Postmodern.

4. News finally leaks that d20 wonder boy, Monte Cooke is just that — an 11 year old boy who lives with his parents and has a curfew. The secret is revealed when his parents GROUND him and take away his iMac after his mother finds a copy of the d20 Big Damn Book of Erotica in his room. She ignores his pleas of it being ''art†and ''research material".

5. In the wake of a veritable flood of d20 product, the movie license, DodgeBall: A Tale of Underdogs wins Best Game of 2005.

7. When ads start appearing that proclaim "The dlO System: It's the new d20". Investors in the d30 System immediately file suit.

8. When you begin hearing gamers yearn for the "Good ol' d20 4.6 days".

9. You decide to stop making your monthly payments on the Self Storage Unit you rented to hold all your d20 product.

10. It occurs to you as you are standing in line waiting to purchase Volume 24 of the D20 Big Damn Book of Elves that you never got around to reading volumes 19 thru 23.

11. d20 Designers finally realize that Hit-Points have no practical use in the game and eliminate them altogether. From now on Players are allowed to keep fighting until they feel carpal tunnel syndrome kick in or need to call time out for a snack run. Monsters however have to fall down when hit and not move for 6 rounds while they are properly looted.

12. Despite high hopes and a lot of hype, d20: The McKinley Years is released and suffers from poor sales. The book is later re-released under the title, "Anarchists and Battleships" but quickly pulled from shelves.

13. Thomas Marley, a lowly shipping boy at a third tier gaming company announces, "Every subject that could be possibly applied to the d20 system has already been taken." Two weeks later he has to retract the statement when just to prove him wrong, KenzerCo releases, "THRASHER: The d20 RPG of Combine Wars in Rural Indiana."

14. In order to attract a more diverse reading audience, d20 Quarterly announces they'll be running a Women of Gaming Swimsuit Issue later this year.

15. d20 joke lists like this begin to get old.

Re: YOU KNOW THE d20 WELL HAS RUN DRY WHEN...

2. WotC lays off an employee and for the first time that individual DOESN'T turn around and start up a d20 publishing company of his own and compete. The d20 community is shaken to its core as to the implications.
These days, they might well join up with existing d20 companies instead of founding their own. The companies they'd join likely have been started by other former WotC employees, mind. ;)

12. Despite high hopes and a lot of hype, d20: The McKinley Years is released and suffers from poor sales.

Hell, I'd buy it.

This is from KotDT? I'm no huge fan or anything, but I'd have thought it would've been better written. *shrug*

Who else here thinks this would actually be a big seller? ;)
Heh. Do a Google search for "Book of Erotic Fantasy." ;) (Not completely work-safe, I suppose, BTW.) And yes, I believe at least one of the people responsible is a former WotC employee.

Note: I haven't read it, so I can't comment on content, but it sure seems to spark off a lot of near-flame wars when it's discussed on the interent.

Heh. Do a Google search for "Book of Erotic Fantasy." ;) (Not completely work-safe, I suppose, BTW.) And yes, I believe at least one of the people responsible is a former WotC employee.

Note: I haven't read it, so I can't comment on content, but it sure seems to spark off a lot of near-flame wars when it's discussed on the interent.

WOW!!! I did a Google Search, and here's the results...

View The Results of MisterBaldy's Google Search!

The Book of Erotic Fantasy really is a d20 Sourcebook!!! :jawdrop:

Darkness...here's some REP!!!

Re: D20 r0xx0rs!!!1!

Smelly Hero Fanboy.

When do these T-Shirts show up in the Online Store?

I'm seeing the Green Man in some other shade, with the cartoon wavy stench lines emanating from him.

And of course on the back it must have the text of the power

Smelly Hero Fanboy, which I will not write at the moment because I'm sleep-deprived, as usual.

WOW!!! I did a Google Search, and here's the results...

View The Results of MisterBaldy's Google Search!

The Book of Erotic Fantasy really is a d20 Sourcebook!!! :jawdrop:

Darkness...here's some REP!!!

Yep. This caused alot of hand-wringing in the D20 world and casued WotC to revise the D20 licence to make it harded for more things like this to come out. Which also caused much controversy.

Of course deep down I think we are all pineing for some hot Dwarf on Halfling action, so the idea will never completely go away.

Yep. This caused alot of hand-wringing in the D20 world and casued WotC to revise the D20 licence to make it harded for more things like this to come out. Which also caused much controversy.

Of course deep down I think we are all pineing for some hot Dwarf on Halfling action, so the idea will never completely go away.

Ah yes. Hot elf-elf action, too.

Add in a Leisure Suit Larry plotline, a CCG with copious illustrations, and you'll have a hot seller for sure. Hmm, maybe D20: Sex in the City would be a good idea after all...

Well, I looked at it once, and I seem to recall they listed/described some truly nasty kinks, and illoed them as well. That might have caused a bit of a stink.

That, or it's worry over 'what will the Kyle's Moms' think?'

Pardon me while I douse my brain in Clorox bleach to get that image out of my mind. :shock::shock::shock:

16 (or 6). D20 GURPS is released.

17 (or 16). D20 Rifts is released.

Speaking of the BoEF & the controversial changes WotC made to the D20 System Trademark License -- the changed version of the license prohibits the release of products which do not meet "community standards of decency," as determined by WotC itself. More specifically, third party publishers are prohibited from publishing materials with art or text which depict "excessively graphic violence or gore", or "gratuitous nudity, the depiction of genitalia, bare female nipples, and sexual or bathroom activity". This change came after Valar Project had announced its Book of Erotic Fantasy.

However, it is not just Valar Project which was affected. Other publishers had published products which include prohibited material, and all products are required to comply with the latest version of the license. People have been directing accusations of hypocrisy at WotC, citing examples of content in the Book of Vile Darkness and other books ("Do as we say, not as we do").

Speaking of the BoEF & the controversial changes WotC made to the D20 System Trademark License -- the changed version of the license prohibits the release of products which do not meet "community standards of decency," as determined by WotC itself. More specifically, third party publishers are prohibited from publishing materials with art or text which depict "excessively graphic violence or gore", or "gratuitous nudity, the depiction of genitalia, bare female nipples, and sexual or bathroom activity".

"bare female nipples"? There goes the 1st edition MONSTER MANUAL, and DETIES AND DEMIGODS. Oh, an some other AD&D modules who's exact names escape me.

"bare female nipples"? There goes the 1st edition MONSTER MANUAL' date=' and DETIES AND DEMIGODS. Oh, an some other AD&D modules who's exact names escape me.[/quote']And much more recently, the 3.5 Monster Manual (dryad) and IIRC something in d20 Past. Probably the siren.

For the curious, both books have art galleries containing all their pictures on the WotC site.

Not that WotC themselves are bound by this, AFAIK.