light saber color signification

steph

Re: light saber color signification

According to the WEG star wars, a jedi has to build his own light saber as part of his training and part of that is a crystal that controls the blade width and length. The color of the crystal controls the color fo the blade.

blue- diamond

green- emerald

yellow- topaz

purple- amethyst

red- ruby

CES

*digs into Jedi lore*

The color of the lightsaber had little to do with what type of Force User you were. (Unless you play Kotor, where the primary 3 had a reason behind them. I'll get to that.)

The thing was that the crystal used to create the beam determined the color and the crystals used were very rare.

The Jedi order had a handful of worlds where they mined the crystals they used. And those crystals were mostly blue/green type. And so that color became rather typical of the traveling Jedi.

The Sith Master of yore had a large (HUGE) deposit of red crystals on their founding world and it became symbolic of a Sith to use a Red crystal.

In KOTOR the follow colors reflected the following Jedi 'jobs'.

Green- Jedi Counciler, Blue- Jedi Warrior/Guardian, Yellow(Gold) - Jedi Watcher/Sentinel.

The rest is up to you.

Oh, and Mace Windu (Samual Jackson) had a pimped out Lightsaber with gold trim and violet beam mostly as a joke.

In the movies, bad guys use red, good guys use blue and green plus Mace Windu using purple. No difference in effect - it's all about the user's skill. That's "canon." I'm sure the EU has heaps of lightsaber lore.

(Technically it was just supposed to be blue & red, but a blue lightsaber didn't show up against the blue sky background of the Tatooine sequence in ROTJ. So Luke's new saber became green. Mace's purple came from Sam Jackson's famous request. There is no truth to rumors of black, white, yellow, rainbow or flaming sabers in Revenge of the Sith.)

Years back, when I was running a WEG Star Wars campaign, I decided that the color of the light sabre was determined by the Jedi's relation to the Force. If he was crazy or went to the Dark Side, the colors were usually red, dark-red, purple, black, etc.

In a way, the Light Sabres sort of acted like mood rings for Jedi.

I always though red was a low battery indicator. :think:

People have talked about that for years. AFAIK there is on "official" word on it.

The special features for Ep II has Sam Jackson talking to Lucas about it. Lucas said that the general rule was evil gets red, good gets green or blue. Jackson asked for a purple one and got it. Just one more reason to envy that man.

The special features for Ep II has Sam Jackson talking to Lucas about it. Lucas said that the general rule was evil gets red' date=' good gets green or blue. Jackson asked for a purple one and got it. Just one more reason to envy that man.[/quote']

So light saber color is similar to the white and black hats seen in old Westerns. With Mr. Jackson refusing to be catagorized.

The colors mean absolutely nothing according to Lucas himself.

Blue = good

red = bad

when they started filming RotJ they realized blue wouldn't show up against the blue sky background so they added green for the good side.

later, when Samuel 'I continuously play the same character in every role I do, and still they call me a great actor and shovel heaps of cash on me' Jackson said he would do the part if he could have a purple lightsaber, Lucas readily agreed since having this pop-culture icon in his otherwise unremarkable prequels would make up for all the other mistakes.

It's basic red/blue symbology with a tad of specialFX and ego stroking consideration. That's all.

Yep, thats it:

Its supposed to be Blue=Good and Red=Evil. Very much a theme going on in Anime, where goodguys have a Blue aura and evil guys have Red auras (though in some anime tittles they reverse it).

Green appeared because blue didn't show up in the Tatooine Desert scene in RotJ.

Some explain it this way:

Green: A Jedi who follows the philosophy of the "Living Force" (i.e. Qui Gon Jin)

Blue: A Jedi who follows the philosophy of the "Unifying Force" (i.e. Obi-Wan)

Red: A sith/Dark Jedi who follows the philosophy of "Dark Force" (i.e. Vader, Dooku, Maul. All had Red Lightsabres)

Now what the difference is between the philosophy of the Living Force vs the Unifying Force, I'm not sure. Maybe its explained somewhere. If anyone knows, let us in on it...

Purple?

Purple= 2cnd baddest Mofo in the universe...

Except that yoda has a green sabre and is a proponent of the unifying force. Green and Blue are just aesthetic choices they equal the white hat. Red equals the black Hat. SLJ just wanted be able to pick himself out in the wide areana shots, plus purple's a cool color to add to the mix, I've never been a fan of the yellow color.

Sorry and everyone is right about green, that was ILM's input.

Officially, as far as I know, it depends solely on what kind of crystal (usually Adegan crystals, the most commonly found crystals that work in lightsabers) the Jedi chooses to put in it. The Sith preferred to use red crystals as a matter of personal preference, as they were the color of blood and red is a very 'aggressive' color.

Best guess, Windu (in-character) has a purple saber, possibly the only one, as he decided to get a rare crystal, probably not from Adega. As far as I know, it signifies nothing other than, perhaps, Windu likes purple.

In the last d20 Star Wars game I had, I broke a few laws of physics and put three different colored crystals in my saber and got three rainbow-y, aurora-borealis-looking sabers (character was a Farghul; used a saber in each hand and one in the tail).