CHAMPIONS Chosen #1 Fan Favorite Superhero RPG!

Steve Long

Tell us something we don't know

I agree with the rest . Even if I don't get to play as much as I used too . I still get to tinker with the best system around and when I want to show it off to other gamers who haven't played in years ( 10 or more , but this will change ) they understand , they get it , and appreciate it .

It really is The Ultimate Superhero Role Playing Game . ( now stop patting yourself on the back and basking in our praises and get back to editing < cracks the licorish whip > . )

Thanks E .

Yes, Champions is definately the winner here, IMHO, though I will concede that the competition isn't as weak as some would like to flaunt. I also thoroughly enjoyed the SAGA version of Marvel Superheroes, felt Mayfair DC Heroes' heart was in the right place in game mechanics terms, absolutely love the d20 version of Silver Age Sentinels, fondly remember Jeff Dee's works in Villains & Vigilantes, and have heard quite a few good words about Mutants & Masterminds.

What scares me is that there's been enough superhero RPGs on the market to warrant a Top 10 list! ;)

It's good to see that Champions is the game of choice. Our group has been playing in one form or another for 20 years. We've dabbled in other game systems and genres but always return to Champions and the Hero system.

Great to see that there is respect for a highly adaptable system.

Originally posted by Crimson-Hawk

What scares me is that there's been enough superhero RPGs on the market to warrant a Top 10 list! ;)

It IS kind of cool :D

I personally think maybe the run of okay to great super hero movies we've had the last few years has helped rekindle interest in it. If not, it at least didn't hurt :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now maybe you'll consider a hardcover Champions book, with a full-color cover illustration of the original Guardians team--Flare, Rose, Icestar, Marksman, Gargoyle--charging into battle alongside the 5th Ed Champions, all lovingly rendered by Alex Ross.

Mmmmmm. . .Alex Ross. . .(droool)

Great idea, wcw, but there are two problems with it. One: some (if not most) of the original Champions are owned by someone other than DOJ/Hero. And Two: Alex Ross, while an incredible artist, is a whiny tool ("I'll never draw the JLA again because Kyle Rayner ISN'T GL... and he sucks"). Ross has far too much power in comics today. C'mon, he's just a painter, not the Messiah of the industry. If the Hardcover could be done, I'd rather see the cover honors go to old Hero friend and contributor George Perez.

d20? Meh. V&V? Meh. For twenty years I've known I like Elvis not the Beatles, Coke not Pepsi, chunky not creamy, Ford not Chevy, and Hero above all others. With Hero, I've saved the world, stopped a demon invasion of New York, travelled with Dwarven sonimancers on steam-powered airships. I've been to Hell and back with dice I stole from the Yatzee box. No page XXs, no Goth wannabes, no restricting mythology.

Thanks.

Now go write 70's Cop Hero! I've hooked up my Wah Wah pedal already!