THE ULTIMATE METAMORPH -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

While waiting for the Everyman and Masterminds And Madmen manuscripts to show up, I'm getting an advance start on developing The Ultimate Metamorph, so I figured I'd start a WDYWTS thread.

Like our other Ultimate books, UMM looks at a particular subject -- in this case, the Body-Affecting Powers and related concepts and characters -- in-depth and for all genres. It's going to cover such topics as:

--types, archetypes, and backgrounds of metamorphs, ranging from the classic "man into animal" type of shapechangers to characters who change their personalities/minds, change their spiritual aspects, change into energy, and so on

--expanded versions of all the Body-Affecting Powers, including where appropriate alternate versions (like "Alter Mass" and "Alter Size")

--Skills, Powers, and the like as they might specially relate to metamorph characters

--metamorphic powers, abilities, and "tricks"

--descriptions of metamorphic creatures and such from around the world (though not in huge amounts of detail, or with character sheets for most of them -- this isn't a monsters book)

--campaigning and combat with metamorphs

--metamorphs genre by genre

--depending on word count, possibly some example characters

--etc.

So, with that in mind, what would you like to see in this book?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THE ULTIMATE METAMORPH -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I know you will do this anyway, but: good discussion on the Shape Shift power, as it is definitely one of the more complex powers.

Also, discussions on how to roleplay and GM metamorphs -- in particular, how to handle the metamorph doing "undercover" work away from the rest of the party without everyone else getting bored.

EDIT: Oh, and you should publish separate versions, one with the cover art from each other Hero book. :)

I'd like to see each power/trick talked about in two sections, IN combat: this is what most people are interested in, and Non combat....and some side bars with cool powers for shapeshifters that aren't powers being covered, for example one of my favs for dopleganger characters is some zero range telepathy and Cramming: Memorys of person scanned so I have "everyman" knowlage for the dude who's form I just stole...

I know you will do this anyway, but: good discussion on the Shape Shift power, as it is definitely one of the more complex powers.

Also, discussions on how to roleplay and GM metamorphs -- in particular, how to handle the metamorph doing "undercover" work away from the rest of the party without everyone else getting bored.

EDIT: Oh, and you should publish separate versions, one with the cover art from each other Hero book. :)

Maybe a series of dust covers that you could swap them out...

Tips for players who want to play a body-altering multiformer, duplicator, or summoner without unbalancing the game and in such a way that GMs will be willing to work with it. Tips for GMs who get such characters submitted and want to make sure they don't turn into an exercise in powergaming. Tips for how to make sure XPs are awarded and expended in a balanced fashion, especially including interactions between multiform and other power frameworks. (It could be argued that a multiform is a MP for the whole character; one might ponder whether it is fair to allow each form to then take power frameworks inside what is essentially an over-framework. And that still leaves the question of altered duplicates and summons.) In short, a treatise on how to balance multiform/duplication/summon for inclusion in a game with other characters lacking similar abilities.

A section on use of multiform/duplication/summon from the point of view of game flow and pacing. How to have them be effective in combat without bogging everything down with constantly changing characteristic scores, SPD charts, and numbers of combatants. How to handle them out of combat to give a sense of the real benefit having multiple characters within one would give, without being overpowering. For instance, I'd like to see a treatment of 'cannon-fodder duplicates'.

I'd love to see some discussions about using multipower to its fullest, as well as some sample characters akin to Beast Boy & Transformers (especially the later). How about some packages based upon alternate forms? Like steel skin, gaseous form, sand, etc?

--expanded versions of all the Body-Affecting Powers, including where appropriate alternate versions (like "Alter Mass" and "Alter Size")

I vaguely remember a 'Power Point' article by Dave Mattingly that discussed just this sort of thing. I wish I'd kept it then, but I'm looking forward to seeing this fleshed out.

So far you (or previous posters) have covered everything I'd want to see.

I'm sure you'll do this (you've selected an awful lot already for the content - how big will this book be?), but basically a discussion around when it's appropriate to go for VPP, Multiform, and/or MP (the "and" indicated for those instances where it might make sense to do Multiform in a Framework or have separate Frameworks or such).

PS - and possibly some scientific data, how could metamorphs actually exist, for those who care about hard SF.

Sections focusing on size and density control powers, and in particular, the various nasty tricks you can do with them.

Perhaps as an aside, how about for each power construct, throw in a "improvised" version thats much weaker, and intended for Power Skill rolls??

We need a detailed section on the "Mystique" style metamorph. Exactly what set of powers and skills would it take to do a convincing impersonation of another person, down to personality and body language, and some hard and fast rules on what happens if a player character tries to pull this. Incidentally, some thought about how a telepath with either full or a specialized version of Telepathy can be used to boost this ability.

There are a bunch of security systems that are used to identify people. What levels of shapeshifting can fool what layers of systems?

We also need a detailed section on the "Warlock" like metamorph, one who can actually transform their internal structure (admittedly, it's little more than sticking on VPP, but handling the pool shifts, etc.).

A deconstruction of metamorphic abilities:

• mimics, from Mystique to Beast Boy.
  • true shapeshifters, from the elastic heroes to the T-2000.
  • bricks (in the near-literal sense: superheroes who can transform into solid rock/metal/ice/etc.)
  • fluid heroes: jelly, sand, water, and air; often overlaps with the first point.
  • Heroes that can grow, shrink, go intangible, or turn invisible.

An examination of the body/mind/spirit trichotomy: beings who can mentally "shapeshift" to fool mind readers, for example. The ability to possess someone else's body might be thought of as a form of "shapeshifting", although that's stretching the point a bit.

I'd personally like to see the Masq from Alien Enemies return, if legal. :o

At least two werebeasts, one werewolf (all three forms: human, wolf, hybrid) along with something else. Jaquar? Manimal? :whistle:

Would a variance to the "Only in Hero ID" be appropriate here? Such as a Captain Marvel or even Hulk concept (though I'm not a fan of the latter, just providing an example).

Maybe a new or optional limitation that states "clothes don't alter." ;)

A detailed discussion of the Shape Shift power, options, uses in a campaign (infiltration, Secret ID maintainment, etc.) and its differences with Multiform and OIHID. Discussion on the interaction between secret ID, Shape Shift, Multiform, OIHID, Duplication, and other metamorph powers. Is secret ID still a meaningful concept (and disadvantage) with these powers, how can they be used to prop and maintain separate identities, etc. What set of powers and skills would it take to do a convincing impersonation of another person, down to personality and body language. Clear rules about what levels of shapeshifting can fool what layers of security systems. Mentally shapeshifting. Covering T1000-like nanotech-based or Mr. Fantastic elastic-body full shapeshifters, how to use VPP or other powers to cover their abilities in hero terms. Elemental metamorph: heroes that can turn into metal, rock, ice, sand, water, air, fire, electricity, etc.

I have no specific suggestion in mind, but sure as hell I'd fondly appreciate any guideline on how to make Multiform more manageable. So far, it's the only Hero power I purposefully go out of my way to avoid using at all. Any similar character concept I either do with OIHID, Focus, or Shape Shift.

I'd also appreciate discussion on Duplication, its combat and campaign uses: eg. Duplication as a form of character resurrection.

Plus I subscribe Zed-F's excellent suggestions

.Tips for players who want to play a body-altering multiformer, duplicator, or summoner without unbalancing the game and in such a way that GMs will be willing to work with it. Tips for GMs who get such characters submitted and want to make sure they don't turn into an exercise in powergaming. Tips for how to make sure XPs are awarded and expended in a balanced fashion, especially including interactions between multiform and other power frameworks. (It could be argued that a multiform is a MP for the whole character; one might ponder whether it is fair to allow each form to then take power frameworks inside what is essentially an over-framework. And that still leaves the question of altered duplicates and summons.) In short, a treatise on how to balance multiform/duplication/summon for inclusion in a game with other characters lacking similar abilities.

A section on use of multiform/duplication/summon from the point of view of game flow and pacing. How to have them be effective in combat without bogging everything down with constantly changing characteristic scores, SPD charts, and numbers of combatants. How to handle them out of combat to give a sense of the real benefit having multiple characters within one would give, without being overpowering. For instance, I'd like to see a treatment of 'cannon-fodder duplicates'.

Just like full shapeshifting, "I turn my body into psychic energy/nano/goo and possess someone else's frame" is a power that does not yield easily to rendition in Hero terms, and Ultimate Metamorph (or Mentalist) might be the right place to cover it.

Some discussion on OIHID.

Discussion on the sex and love life of mimics and elastic superhumans. "What am I going to be tonight, honey, and how long ?" Ok, I'm joking but not by much. Body-altering powers are ones that are going to affect the character radically in outlook and personal life (the simple act of changing one' face and/or gender, much less species, at will is something fairly cheap pointswise, but with deep psychological repercussions). Some discussions of the impact of metamorph powers in personal life would be appreciated. Just after Mental Powers, these are the ones that a character would be most easily and prompt tempted to abuse.

I'd like to see a bit on 'many-into-one' characters' date=' where several characters combine into one: how to write them up, and how to work with them in a game. It probably doesn't need to be a big section.[/quote']

All good thoughts, but I especially want to second this one. The Infinity Man from Forever People (yes, I'm old :) ) springs to mind, but there have been several examples of gestalt characters in several genres - Power Rangers :sick: , The Black Rider (Team America), the Psi-Hawk (PsiForce) and Moorcock's Three/Four Who Are One, for example.