THE ULTIMATE METAMORPH -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: THE ULTIMATE METAMORPH -- What Do *You* Want To See?

I agree, Hugh, that would be cool to see covered.

I'd also like to second those who've talked about seeing more on the things that can be done with Density Increase, Growth, and Shrinking. In particular (not sure if this has been brought up before), since each of those powers has a whole set of factors that comes with it, it would be interesting to see a discussion of ways you can purchase or build those powers to eliminate, lessen, or increase one or more of the aspects.

For instance, being able to buy levels of Density Increase without necessarily weighing as much as the book lists, or being able to control your weight when you shrink as the Silver Age Atom does. Just different ways to muck around with those powers and explore different possibilities would be cool.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see stretching looked at carefully. When creating large characters, the stretching ability rapidly becomes one of the most expensive bits for, beyond a point, not much more utility.

The big debate we've had (ad nauseam) in the past has been over the relatively innocuous question: what does touch shapeshift actually do? If you 'actually' want to change shape then what do you need to do it and what does it look like? I'm not a fan of the shapeshift power being sense based for the 'touch SS' problems (or apparent problems), although that approach makes enormous sense for some things. It may be that clarification is all thjat is needed (or a brain transplant for me....)

What else?

Astral travel? That has been done with multiform in the past?

Also, possibly, the use of other powers to simulate shapeshifting: using mental illusions, or images, or even mind control.

I wouldn't mind some guidelines on how you can change others with transform.

Also can I say : thanks for asking. I think this kind of consultation excercise is a perfect use for these boards. :)

I'd like to see a bit on 'many-into-one' characters' date=' where several characters combine into one: how to write them up, and how to work with them in a game. It probably doesn't need to be a big section.[/quote']

I'll have to throw in a me too on this one, I'd love to see a Hero Write Up of this.

Finally, a book that will hopefully explain the Ranma Curse Debate. If a Male character is in a female form and gets pregnant, what happens when they turn male again while pregneant? ;)

I'd like to see some expanded rules on Personality Loss for how to do a more gradual loss of personality from remaining in the other form for too long.

I'd like to see some coverage of how to implement multiple forms as a curse upon a character.

Finally, a book that will hopefully explain the Ranma Curse Debate. If a Male character is in a female form and gets pregnant, what happens when they turn male again while pregneant? ;)

I'd like to see some expanded rules on Personality Loss for how to do a more gradual loss of personality from remaining in the other form for too long.

I'd like to see some coverage of how to implement multiple forms as a curse upon a character.

Haha but covering sex-changing heroes like Ranma would be nice for us anime/manga fans:)

Age transformation for us anime fan would also be nice. Example: Fancy Stage Lala and a few other Magic Girl anime. Even powers that would allow you sift into a younger form.

Excellent: rep to you :)

Ditto, as soon as I get this post up!

Gives me a neat idea though---

how about a cover --maybe a limited run or convention-only thing----

you know that stuff; that corrogated clear plastic stuff; you tilt it one way and you see one picture; tilt it another way and you see another... That stuff. The cover should be done in that stuff!

Never mind....

I'll have to rep you later, it seems. You've gotten too much respect from me lately! :D

Yeah, you'll have to rep at least 20 other people before you can rep me again. ;)

But so as to not completely derail the thread:

Let me add my vote for coverage of "non-standard" uses of powers like Shape Shift. I mean things like shape-shifting your scent to fool tracking dogs, shape-shifting your DNA to pass or fool DNA scans, shape-shifting your retinas to pass rentinal scans, that sort of thing. I'm talking about more than just a "mechanical" write-up of such powers, but a discussion of how / why / who and that kind of stuff. Applications, if you will, not just recipes.

I love "outside the box" applications of powers, and given the...ah...inherent flexibility of alteration powers, there are probably lots of such uses I haven't thought about yet.

Age transformation for us anime fan would also be nice. Example: Fancy Stage Lala and a few other Magic Girl anime. Even powers that would allow you sift into a younger form.

Age transformation is used in the comics, and aging the party sees play in other genres as well. This would be a good one to cover if the book will cover transforming others, not just oneself. If not, well there's some material for a future book, Steve!

Of course' date=' there are also interesting but more limited kinds of shapechanging, such as the "mentalist" form of shape change that fools people and animals, but not cameras. Best used for NPC villains, but interesting nonetheless.[/quote']

I love using this one myself. (I wish the players would think to check the video.... It's only been what? Two years, game time?.....;) )

I would be most interested in seeing 'other options' or other ideas on how to handle this power.

Transforming into inanimate objects ("I turn into an ottoman so I can listen in on their evil plans.")

Metamorphing others ("I transform the group into a flock of birds so that we can fly to the Turakian Capitol.")

Ajudicating Perception rolls for...

• Duplicates. Can you pick out the original from the others?
  • Someone hiding amid similar things. I know Dr. Meta went into the workshop; Can I figure out which of the tools he has changed into?
  • Telling the imposter from the real one. I know it's typically a perception roll v. disguise skill, or use of a special sense (Because you can't necessarily sound like who you've decided to mimic) but it's still a good topic to cover.[/i]

Things that would be nice in Ultimate Metamorph that – Most already have been Mentioned but I will but my 2 cents in anyway.

1. Many to one transform such as the Forever People becoming the Infinity Man
  2. Examples of when to use multiform or shapeshift for a character design.
  3. How to design metamorpic demi-bricks like Metamorpho (DC) and the Sand Man (Marvel) (I want sledge hammer hands.)
  4. How to create a character that can Mimic any form and texture but does not change color (ie Plastic Man, Mr Fantastic and the Metal Men) (I am a fully functional red and flesh tone chair...)
  5. Don’t know if this would fit but, a Nemesis Kid like character design example who powers adapt to there enemy’s strengths and weaknesses.
  6. Hands to more appropriate tools (ie a finger becomes screwdriver and a hand becomes forceps)
  7. Variations on Shrinking such as controlling your weight separate from size, or decreasing stats linked with shrinking.
  8. Design examples where Powers linked to a size change increase in ablilty the more size levels you change (shrinking where a linked superleap or clinging increase the smaller you get or in growth where a linked additional strength or defenses increase the bigger you get (in addition to growths strength and defenses additions) )

This is all I can think of. Thank you for allowing input to your creative process.

Age transformation is used in the comics' date=' and aging the party sees play in other genres as well. This would be a good one to cover if the book will cover transforming others, not just oneself. If not, well there's some material for a future book, Steve![/quote']

I think age transformation would be ideally covered in a book on time travel and time shifting and the like, the Ultimate Time, or something. Just a thought.

I think age transformation would be ideally covered in a book on time travel and time shifting and the like' date=' the Ultimate Time, or something. Just a thought.[/quote']

hmmm...The Ultimate Age? Might confuse the Fantasy Gamers, tho...:doi:

Manly Wade Wellman's The Hanging Stones had werewolves that changed form by solidifying ectoplasm onto their regular body. A power writeup for something like this could be cool, and could strike fear into characters in an X-Files type game. :eg:

I have to second (or third, or whatever) Dave Mattingly's Power Point articles. They were top-notch. Get him on board.

All of the above. Especially:

Shrinking UAA, that is actually an attack, not "Here you go, my arch-nemesis, have a DCV bonus without any loss of abilities!"

Discussion of not just altering your own form, but altering others, with such powers as Transform, Adjustment Powers, and various Body-Affecting Powers with UBO or UAA.

I find a lot of newbies to HERO want to be the "Any Animal Man." How do you do this in a reasonable amount of points? It takes more than just Shape Shift (which needs some discussion on its own), because they want to have the abilities of the animals as well as the shape: a dog's scenting, a bird's flight, etc. I only have two ways of doing this: Shapeshift + VVP of animal powers, or Multiform into various "generic" animal forms + Shapeshift for the specific types. Is there a better way?

How to do the commonly seen metamorphs in the source material: Plastic Man, Rogue, Beast Boy, and the others mentioned in this thread.

How about a discussion of characters with unusual bodies that don't change? Such as guys who are always huge, dense, shrunk, have extra limbs, permanently invisible, etc. Or that have these forms as their usual form, but may have some technique to make themselves temporarily more "normal," or at least passable in society.

A "morphing" cover would be clever, but probably not worth the added expense.