Who is the best Archaic/Anachronism/whatever in comics?

Hermit

Just a few questions on superheroes with what some would see as 'archaic' themes (since the cowboy thread took off):

Who was/is your favorite Cowboy in comics?

Myself, I'd go with Jonah Hex. Though superheroes seemed rare as his comic was often purely Western (at least the ones I read)

Who was/is your favorite Ninja in comics?

Snake-Eyes from Marvel's run on GI Joe would be my pick, but there's a certain group of turtles that deserve kudos.

Who was your favorite Knight in comics?

A long time ago, I would have gone with Black Knight, but I lost a lot of respect for Dane when he and Crystal cheated behind Quicksilver's back.

Who was your favorite Archer/Robin Hood type?

Hawkeye for me, though Green Arrow was the 'original', I always prefered Clint to Oliver.

Got any other favorites? (Samuraii, Cavemen, etc)

Re: Who is the best Archaic/Anachronism/whatever in comics?

Just a few questions on superheroes with what some would see as 'archaic' themes (since the cowboy thread took off):

Myself, I'd go with Jonah Hex. Though superheroes seemed rare as his comic was often purely Western (at least the ones I read)

Snake-Eyes from Marvel's run on GI Joe would be my pick, but there's a certain group of turtles that deserve kudos.

A long time ago, I would have gone with Black Knight, but I lost a lot of respect for Dane when he and Crystal cheated behind Quicksilver's back.

Hawkeye for me, though Green Arrow was the 'original', I always prefered Clint to Oliver.

Jonah Hex overall. But for superheroes: I loved the Two-Gun Kid's stint in the Avengers. :)

I don't like ninjas in comic books. They rapidly became too silly.

The Shining Knight rocked in All-Star-Squadron.

I'm with you on this one. Hawkeye is just a much more fun read.

Got any other favorites? (Samuraii, Cavemen, etc) Captain America was frozen for a while. ;)

Thor is my favorite mythological being of power.

Etrigan is pretty cool too.

Wild Bill, GI Joe. Pretty slim pickin's in this category. (Get it? Slim picken's? I crack me up!)

The ones from the Tick comics "Nothing to see here," "I'm a shrub," etc.

Black Knight is all I can think of at the moment, but I was never a big fan.

Gotta go Green Arrow on this one. He's an all-time favorite.

Mirth, from MAGE, is a favorite archaic wizard type.

Jonah Hex or the Original "Ghost Rider" who rode around in White, though that was all image; He had no character development.

Elektra qualify? If so, her.

Not sure I have one. Iron Man from the story where he went back in time to Arthurian times? Better yet, from Gaiman's 1602!

Hawkeye seemed like an imitation to me when I was a kid. Now I like him better.

Oooh, I love so many Samurai Cavemen....

Actually, as twisted as the idea was, in the Knight category I liked Tristan from Camelot 3000. For those unindoctrinated, the knights are reincarnated in the far future to stomp out evil once again, but Tristan is a woman this time; He/She has a serious problem with this, which is not helped by the chiding of other knights. I liked the story hook that the character might be plied with wizardly promises of being turned into a "proper" man.

I'd add a "sorceror" nod, but all my favoirtes are contemporaries, not so much anachronisms. I will however add...

Pirate

Not sure if Starslayer (of Log of the Jolly Roger fame) counts as an "anchronism" since he's certainly more technological.

American Indain

Scout, by Tim Truman.

Jonah Hex for me too

The Ninja's from the Tick with the mighty District Manager to lead them, gets a nod from me also

Green Arrow, especially in the Dark Knight where he fires his bow with his teeth.

I think we are all missing one of the biggest Anachronism of all, the dreaded villian Turner D Century!! He was a crappy "villian" who wore a an olde timey straw had, had a handle bar mustache and rode one of this bikes with the huge front wheels. I think he had a life span of one issue. Lousy idea, I mean complete crap, what were they thinking.

Also I guess Alley Oop would be my vote for Caveman even though he speaks perfect english and travels through time, he still uses a big club.

E

Ghost Rider for image, Jonah Hex for content, overall winner Gideon Brood from 'Desperados'.

Although not technically a ninja, I've always enjoyed Shi. Shaido, from 'The Longbow Hunters', would be a close second, with Elektra being third.

I still like the Black Knight, I think. I always thought they ruined his potential.

Big Hawkeye fan for the longest time, but when Kevin Smith reinvented Green Arrow in 'The Longbow Hunters' I crossed over. I crossed back when they brought GA back from the dead. Literally. :rolleyes: I also kinda like Quarrel from 'Astro City' and wouldn't mind seeing her featured in an issue or three.

Conan, for favorite 'fantasy' character.

The Saint of Killers from The Preacher. He's about the ONLY cowboy I like in comics.

Nightwing first, Batman second.

Depends on what you mean here. The only knight I can think of is really the Black Knight, and I always found him on the silly side, especially when his quite unsharpened body went stiff, and could be used to "cut through anything." If I can expand this to "anchronistic warrior," I'd go with Thor.

I'd have to go Ultimate Hawkeye. I'm not a fan of mainstream Hawkeye, simply because that's a whole lot of purple and I'm not into purple. Between the two Green Arrows, I prefer Connor, Ollie's son.

- Pants

Judge Dredd

The Ninjas from 'The Tick'

Deadlock

Crossbow (or X Bow if you prefer)

Got any other favorites? (Samuraii, Cavemen, etc)[

Usagi Yojimbo, Wulf Sternhammer, Middenface McNulty

My choices are not necesarily comics...Live with it

Cowboys:

Lone Ranger

Ninja: Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow (it really is the relationship between the two of them I love

Knight: Shining Knight (DC Comics)

Archer: Hard to say, but want to go with Arrowette from Young Justice right now (note I love them all)

The original version of El Diablo.

Naruto, and his classmates.

The Silent Knight.

I liked Green Arrow before Longbow Hunters, but I think the one I like the most now is Kagomi from Inuyasha.

Kenshin is cool as a samurai, but I also like the guy from Samurai Champloo.

CES

No-brainer:

Jonah Hex. I wasn't much of a 'comic book' kid, so the paste-board four-color antics of Ghost Rider, Bat Masterson, etc--- didn't work too well for me. Jonah was grim, but more 'human.' I liked it more. In fact, I was startled when I was told it was cancelled. (I liked it, but I didn't really follow any comics). I was sickened when someone showed me that sci-fi reprisal of it. I mean, I love sci-fi, but that was really, really bad.....

I don't know. Pick one that's dead-- permanently, and prefferably who died in a really humiliating fashion. Vote me up for him. ;)

Well wait a minute. Was it back in the late 70? Early 80s? At any rate, during one of my tours through college, I briefly had a room mate who read a comic called -- crap? Honshu? Honshu the Moon Knight? I don't know. Something like that. Seems like he was kinda 'ninjesque.' At any rate, the character was like a white-cloak clad ninja in egypt-- shade of the occult and Laura Croft, no real supers that I saw-- that was actually kind of enjoyable now and again. So I guess I don't dislike Ninjas as much as I had thought. I guess, like Captain Pants and his cowboys, I dislike under-thought stereotypical ninjas with no real sense to why they are where they are.

Iron Man.

Sure, it's a reach. But he's armored, and cool. Or at least, he was back around 1980, when one of my kid brothers was reading him regularly. I read a few, and liked the character. But I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue who or what the character has become in comics today, so I'll say my favorite knight was Iron Man, right around 1980. Other than that, I just don't cotton to the idea of Knights outside of fantasy. I don't know why, other than I've always had an anti-fantasy bent, and knights are one of the conventions of the genre, etc.....

[qoute=Hermit]Who was your favorite Archer/Robin Hood type?

Not qualified to answer. Until I saw a cartoon on TV with one last week, I didn't know there were any (yes; I've been watching that Superman cartoon thing on TV. My association with this board, brief though it may be, has taught me rather quickly that if I don't gain some passing familiarity with published comic book characters, I won't be able to follow a large chunk of the threads). Though I do have to say that the gimmick arrows left me a little flat.

Got any other favorites? (Samuraii' date=' Cavemen, etc)[/b']

I enjoyed the occultish bend of the first Ghost Rider (motorcycle version, not the cowboy) and Swamp Thing characters. I'm not really an occult fan, but the few I saw handled the subject in more adult fashion than the average supers book tends to do. Those were kind of fun.

EDIT---

Almost forgot--

there was one some years back, about a guy who got turned into a big blue-skinned devil or somesuch thing? I enjoyed the rather light and humous aspect of that one.

there was one some years back' date=' about a guy who got turned into a big blue-skinned devil or somesuch thing? I enjoyed the rather light and humous aspect of that one.[/quote']

Ammusingly, you're probably talking about Blue Devil, from DC.

Big Hawkeye fan for the longest time, but when Kevin Smith reinvented Green Arrow in 'The Longbow Hunters' I crossed over. I crossed back when they brought GA back from the dead. Literally. :rolleyes: I also kinda like Quarrel from 'Astro City' and wouldn't mind seeing her featured in an issue or three.

Mike Grell was the one who reinvented GA in Longbow Hunters, not Kevin Smith.

Favorite Cowboy? Jonah Hex or the original Vigilante :)

Favorite Ninja? Rapheal :D

Favorite Knight? Black Knight or Kevin Matchstick ;)

Favorite Archer? I'm a Hawkeye fan ... but I gotta admit that Ollie's my fav ;)

Favorite Samurai? Katana all the way :)

Favorite Caveman? Gnaark from the Titans ;)

Favorite Retro Sci-Fi? Adam Strange

Favorite Pirate? Corsair

Favorite Archaic Wizard? Mirth indeed! Rep for you!

Favorite Godly Being? For Marvel it's Hercules ... DC it's Troia.

Favorite Secret Agent? King Faraday (Yay to JLU for bringing him back!)

[Who was/is your favorite Cowboy in comics?

Shane Gooseman! Hey, Galaxy Rangers had a one-shot comic made a long time ago.

If I was to name a cowboy primarily noted for his comics appearances, I'd say Jonah Hex. Interestingly enough, I only twigged to the character in the Hex stories (Where Jonah was stuck in the post-apocolypse DCU future) and was pleased as punch when Jonah made references to it in the JLU episode 'The Once and Future Thing: Weird Western Tales'

I'm not a big fan of ninjas (probably why I can't stand Naruto). I can't think of any that's actually piqued my interest.

I was about to say Misty, then I remembered Sandra Knight. Damn, she looked good in her Phantom Lady outfit.

Oh, you meant Mideval Knights! I'll go with Sir Justin, the shining Knight.

Ollie, of course.

Ammusingly' date=' you're probably talking about Blue Devil, from DC.[/quote']

Wow! You'd a thunk that title would have come more readily to mind, wouldn't ya? :o

But yes, that sounds right. Was there a cover with him in a covertible late-seventies caddy with a woman? If so, then yes, that was it. I can't explain it; perhaps it's because in general I'm _not_ a comic book fan, but that one I enjoyed. It was almost a parody of 'straight' comics, but not a whack-you-with-the-joke type spoof. Very pleasant reading, all things considered.

Jonah Hex was pretty damned cool.

Snake Eyes was my favorite character on the old series, haven't seen the new one.

Moon Knight. ;)

Green arrow and Hawkeye kind of bounce back and forth. In terms of Look, Green Arrow. Clint beats him otherwise. :) The issue where he damaged his hearing...

Wasn't there a caveman in Metamorpho, 25 years ago or so?

Sticking strictly to anachronisms, as opposed to characters in their proper milieus...

Cowboy - Jonah Hex, especially given his recent appearance on JLU. Vigilante or any other Lone Ranger clone come close second.

Ninja - Steven Grant's Whisper. Okay, not really a ninja, but she fooled plenty of people into thinking she was one.

Knight - have a fondness for Sir Justin (and the new Sir Ystn with the tennis shoes), but have to give it to Dane Whitman - when done right.

Archer - close call between Mike Grell version of Oliver Queen and the Ultimate version of Hawkeye.

Other favorites - I like cavemen, samurai, and all that, but for favorite anachronistic character of all time, it has to be Hammaglystwythkbrngxxaxolotl the Weather Wizard of Badger fame....