Lo, Our Savior is Born!

Dr Archeville

Nicolas Cage & his wife Alice had a son recently, and announced this morning that he is named Kal-El Coppola Cage. Kal-El is the Kryptonian birth name of Superman, and Cage is a big comic book geek; Nicolas Cage is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola.

At least Kal-El sounds like a vaguely Middle Eastern/Hebrew name; "El" is in fact a Semitic word for "god" or "God" (Ariel = Lion of God; Daniel = God is my Judge; Elijah = My God is YHWH; Elisha = God is Help; Elizabeth = My God is an Oath; Emmanuel = God is with Us; Gabriel = Strong Man of God; Ishmael = God will Hear; Joel = YHWH is God; Michael = Who is like God?; Raphael = God has Healed; Uriel = God is my Light; Uzziel = My Power is God; this is why, some people say, Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster [the two Jewish men who created Superman] chose El as Superman's family name). Jason Lee's son -- Pilot Inspektor Lee -- doesn't really have that luxury.

Re: Lo, Our Savior is Born!

At least Kal-El sounds like a vaguely Middle Eastern/Hebrew name; "El" is in fact a Semitic word for "god" or "God" (Ariel = Lion of God; Daniel = God is my Judge; Elijah = My God is YHWH; Elisha = God is Help; Elizabeth = My God is an Oath; Emmanuel = God is with Us; Gabriel = Strong Man of God; Ishmael = God will Hear; Joel = YHWH is God; Michael = Who is like God?; Raphael = God has Healed; Uriel = God is my Light; Uzziel = My Power is God; this is why' date=' some people say, Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster [the two Jewish men who created Superman'] chose El as Superman's family name).

Actually if you look back to Action #1 (or the reprints), the name was Kal-L, son of Jor-L.

KHALIL is the name for Friend in arabic

KALLE is the name for Man in Swedish (another form of Karl or Charles)

So if Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster were mixing cultural names, they may have combined these with the Hebrew to make Friend of God or Man of God

Actually if you look back to Action #1 (or the reprints)' date=' the name was Kal-L, son of Jor-L.[/quote']

Actually, neither the family names nor the L family put in an appearance until the Superman newspaper strips started about a year after Action #1.

I tried and tried to pass a super name by my wife's considerable comic book blockade... Eventually I outsmarted her and gave my son the middle name of Alexander... after LEX Luthor!

Maybe he'll end up the archenemy of Cage's son? I've already started grooming my son in the art of global domination and megalomaniacal machinations!!!

:eg:

Sure you do. You named your kid after a human newspaper reporter' date=' not after an alien with super-powers ;)[/quote']

Actually, and to be technically correct, I named him after a six foot eight supergenius who looks like he's carved out of bronze. It's not my fault Siegel and Shuster stole from the same source.

(And his middle name is Gareth. The boy is doomed, if he ever tries to live up to his names.)

Shoulda named him Zod.

Are you kidding? Clark was, in fact, the only male name we managed to agree on and that was a close call.

Of course, the only female name we agreed on was Lilith, which I still think would've been kind of keen.

Nicolas Cage & his wife Alice had a son recently' date=' and announced this morning that he is named [b']Kal-El Coppola Cage[/b]. Kal-El is the Kryptonian birth name of Superman, and Cage is a big comic book geek; Nicolas Cage is the nephew of Francis Ford Coppola.

Darn! I was hoping to use that for my own son (due in February). I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind. OK, I know the bruising would subside. Well, I'm positive the fractures would heal. Alright, alright I'm certain she wouldn't reload. Well, almost certain.

I guess this is better than Dweezil and Moon Unit.

A friend-of-a-friend has a little boy named Kal-El. Her daughter is named something similarly awful.

This same person is also on probation for helping her husband find a minor to have sex with. The husband is in jail.

Is there a connection? Who knows . . .

That's not very uplifting. :D

If I ever have a kid' date=' I'm going to name it "Drizzt T. Klattu Burada Nikto E". The "T" will stand for Tiberius, but only uber-geeks will know this.[/quote']

Shouldn't that be...Drizzt T. Klattu Burada Ni..COUGH, COUGH, COUGH....? :)

My wife and I are expecting in December. Early on, I used to tease her that if it was a boy, I wanted his name to be "Haatwyngs," and if it was a girl, "Bazooka." I thought those were very creative, personally. Not sure why she didn't like them.

I think Nick should have gone all the way and just named his son "Superman" instead of just Kal-El. It would have been funnier and dorkier all at the same time. I saw a horse compete in the Rollex 4-star event whose name was, literally, "Spider-Man," which was very funny, considering it was a horse. Unfortunately, he had to drop out.

And on the "L" thing, in the Stalinist Superman Elseworlds (forgot the title), it turns out that this particular Superman was sent back in time by his parents from the far future of Earth, not Krypton, and that the "-El" was due to a changing name convention through the centuries... starting from the "L" in Luthor. In other words, it turned out that Superman was really Lex Luthor's great-great-great-great-etc. grandson. Hoo! I loved that little twist.

But since Lex Luthor was originally Superman's alter-ego, maybe the "-El" influenced his being given "Lex" as his first name.

- Cap

My wife's cousin's son (her second cousin) is named Raistlin. :)

Technically, the boy is not your wife's second cousin, he is your wife's first cousin, once removed.

http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

[sorry, I got hammered on this in an Estates class once and it's stuck with me ever since.:( ]

Actually if you look back to Action #1 (or the reprints)' date=' the name was Kal-L, son of Jor-L.[/quote']

Sorry McCoy...but according to the Official DC Universe, Superman's Kryptonian name is Kal-El...and not Kal-L.

Here's the proof...http://www.dccomics.com/secret_files/dc_character.php?sc_dc_itemCode=superman

Sorry McCoy...but according to the Official DC Universe' date=' Superman's Kryptonian name is [b']Kal-El[/b]...and not Kal-L.

Here's the proof...http://www.dccomics.com/secret_files/dc_character.php?sc_dc_itemCode=superman

Are you being disingenuous, or do you really not understand his point that Superman's original name was Kal-L? Or are you one of those "Pre-Crisis doesn't count" guys?