Just Picked Up Champions Worldwide

zakueins

Re: Just Picked Up Champions Worldwide

This is the type of thing which ticks me off the most. In a comic book game art is essential to help you get the feel for the character. Even a bad picture is better then no picture at all' date=' IMO.[/quote']

...and here I thought I was the only one who believed this. :thumbup:

It might be the reason why M&M is starting to appeal to me more and more.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and here I thought I was the only one who believed this. :thumbup:

It might be the reason why M&M is starting to appeal to me more and more.

I've been fed-up with bad art for quite some time [not to mention missing art like no picture of Arcane [one of the major bad guys] in Galactic Champions.

There's a nice Storn picture of Overshadow [leader of the criminal organization SHADOW in M&M's Freedom City Universe] here under the write up for Omega [which's cool too :)]:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=11769

The write up for Centurian [Freedom City's deceased Superman] is here:

http://mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/

So I notice from the list that while it's Champs Worldwide That it doesn't include heroes/villains from Canada and England. Is there a plan in the future for a 5th of Champions of the North and Kingdom of Champions? Any one know?

If they are looking for good artists' date=' who work for a reasonable price, I can give them the contact info for several of them.[/quote']

Actually I think it needs to be the other way around. ;) Check out the submissions page for the Art Director and Artist Submission guideines and send them to your friends.

http://www.herogames.com/herosubmissions.htm

Just got the book and haven't had the time toi do much more than glance through it, but it looks cool (and I'm pleased to see some of the more unusual Power arrangements certain characters have).

The Polish Goth Patriot is fun. Givs me ideas for her being another kid from the Zodiac Working (why must all the demonspawn come from the US, after all?).

Gazelle -- glad to see someone remembered that Kelvarite is floating around out there somewhere!

The Fist Of Allah -- an Iranian "loveable lunk"? It's new, anyway, and it's good to see two Muslim characters who go beyond the 'totally secular' or 'zombie fanatic' personalities I remember from elsewhere (outside HERo Games).

Rashindar -- Yeow! That guy's no one to fool with. No wonder Doc Destroyer hasn't conquered India yet.

Joseph Otanga -- I'd have made him stronger and nastier, but that's me. He makes a good second tier master villain.

I also like the "Places to have a Super-battle" sidebars.

More when I get the chance.

The Polish Goth Patriot is fun. Givs me ideas for her being another kid from the Zodiac Working (why must all the demonspawn come from the US, after all?).

Yes. I forgot all about that. I got a new character entering the game and you just gave me an idea for a hook for a series of adventures for him. (He is not a part of the Zodiac Working.)Thanks.

Picked it up a few days ago. I like it. Tons of characters, not too much padding.

The art wasn't bad, but sometimes the style (mostly a cartoony/manga hybrid) seemed inappropriate to the character it was describing.

For me, the art quality has never been a dealbreaker, but I wouldn't mind seeing a return to a Mark Williams-esque style.

Here's a sample of Mark's art:

I picked it up yesterday and I am pretty impressed so far.

I am also glad to hear more coverage on the Warlord, one of my favorite Master Villains.

First: I have one thing to say about Taipan::eek:

Second, now there's Obelisque and the plot seed of him fighting Grond and possibly Ripper too.

Now, is it just me, or is Grond made out to be more powerful than he actually is when you stack him up to to either of the other two?

That's why I gave him all of the modifiers from the Ultimate Brick, and the entire Four Arms Template, and the Large size template. That evens things out a bit more.

Third, why the hell can't they actually publish Dr. Yin Wu?

I can't get a HERO+ Adventure!

Lastly, this book made me think that there should be a new book that is all about the Master Villains of the CU. How about, Master Villainy Amok?

Well, my copy arrived today, along with Teen Champions. I've only glanced through the book, looking mainly at the art (which most of it isn't as bad as I was expecting, though a couple I look at and think "I could have drawn that poorly"). The cover art seemed uninspired and lacking. I would have thought with the subject of world-spanning that a globe, world map or famous images from around the world (pyramids, Red Square, that Australian opera building, etc.) would have been on it.

Having stated that, tomorrow I will read through and see how much I like the book. The amount of characters in it does look appealing. One question though, who is "the Black Death"? I don't see his name/nickname/moniker in the index or table of contents.

I also liked seeing something done with the Warlord. It helps explain why we've heard so little about him in prior Champs material -- he's doing his dirty deeds in other countries, fomenting wars or just heating them up.

And did anyone else catch the reference to "renegade Italian geneticist Aldo Sanchietti" and his "experiments to splice human and animal DNA to create man-beast hybrids", all done at the direction of Fiacho of Eurostar? Is Pantera in the CU future?

The updates on several characters were good too. Janissary came to a bad end (ah, laddie, we hardly knew ye!), and Taiga was wiped out. That part I like: being a superhero does not grant a your-foolishness-won't-hurt-you card in the CU.

When I opened the book the first picture I saw was Shonen No Kufu and Gokin. The book sat about an hour on my desk unlooked at after that. :)

I will say that color makes a huge difference though. The picture of Harrier on the cover [and grey-scaled on page 1] is much better than the b&w line art version used with the character write up, IMO.

The only picture by DK [Dominika Klosowicz?] which I liked was Ma'at. The picture of Rashindar is not too bad either but someone should have made sure the artist understood the character has 6 arms. :)

Cain's art didn't do it for me anywhere, but, as I mentioned above, the colored Harrier picture looks good. I think the colorer deserves a lot of the credit for that though.

Reilly Brown's art was all over the place. Some of it seems quite good [Venin Vert and Slun] and some of it seems greatly under-done.

Robert Hawkins had some nice pictures in the book. Overall I would consider his to be the best of the new art in the book [i liked Ironhorn and the Living Sphinx] but he had some weak pictures too.

Sadly, I keep falling asleep while reading the book, though I think external forces may apply here (although when I wake myself up and read from Teen Champions I'm able to stay awake). I've also only read the first two entries. :o I was a bit worried at first with Autour since the word also means "around" and au tour means "to the round," and then I found a grammatical error. (I asked my wife on the translation since she took 4 years of French back in hs, 12 years ago.) Using onling translating, we discovered Autour meant Goshawk as well. Autour's appearance states he wears a silver battlesuit with blue bands, but his picture looks like a dark (blue?) battlesuit with white (silver?) bands and stripes. This isn't the first time I've noticed the description not matching the picture (though I wonder if it would be too out of genre for supers to have more than one style of costume?).

The German archer Der Bogenshutze wasn't too bad, however I noticed he has 17 slots in his Bow and Arrow multipower. Then he has +7 levels with his MP for 21 points. This is a trend I've seen that confounds me a bit since the 3 pt level is supposed to apply to three related maneuvers or martial art style. I guess MPs are considered in the same vein as martial arts, but I feel 17 slots is quite munchkiny for "trick arrows" as well as 64 charges (that is 5 dozen+ arrows he's supposedly carrying). YMMV.

Hopefully the rest will be entertaining. I am looking forward to Middle East and Asian areas.

Then he has +7 levels with his MP for 21 points. This is a trend I've seen that confounds me a bit since the 3 pt level is supposed to apply to three related maneuvers or martial art style.

The combat level description is "+1 with three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks." An arrows multipower would be considered a tight group.

I have not seen it yet. The damned thing is probably still swimming the Pacific.!I MIGHT have to redo my "All The Worlds Heros" when I can finally get a copy. On the other hand I might just assimilate the characters I like, change a few to other countries and go from there ! ( For example I recently moved "Cantrip" from "Teen Champions" to Switzerland to become that nations first superheroine !)

The combat level description is "+1 with three maneuvers or a tight group of attacks." An arrows multipower would be considered a tight group.

Right, but I don't see an oil slick, swinging, and sonic attack being in the same tight group, other than saying "but, GM, they both come in arrow form." :P Like I said, I find it munchkiny, but YMMV.

OK, it is pet peve time.

El Dorado: Brazil?

El Sauriano: Brazil?

What the #^@&?

Brazil is the 5th largest country in the world in both area and population. It is the world's 9th largest economy. Would it kill you guys to do ten seconds of research to find out that the language spoken there is Portuguese, not Spanish.

And what is up with El Dorado anyway? El Dorado is a Columbian/Spanish myth, not Brazilian/Portuguese. If you want a place of lost treasure why not go with Salamanca do Jarau, the hidden cave of treasure. If you just want a name from myth/fokelore there are a number of options.

Grumble, grumble, grumble...