Just Picked Up Champions Worldwide

zakueins

And, the verdict is? Not too impressed.

I was hoping to get more...meat. There's a lot of individual supers, some neat character seeds, but I'd like to have seen more. Like superhero teams for each area of the world, how religions (especially in the Middle East) consider superpowers, more "places to blow up" and "things to steal".

Not too impressed with the art, either. Need more variety of characters, too. More gadgeteers, more "updates" of familiar characters (i.e. how is Ultrasonique changed since his beating-how is he armored, etc, etc).

Still, it's useful. Not exactly great, but useful.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Just Picked Up Champions Worldwide

I'd call it a six. It's not exactly CKC, but it's not awful.

On a scale of 1-10' date=' what type of rating would you give it overall? I'm debateing buying it, and unless it rates at least a five (average), I won't pick it up (and before anyone asks, I'm also waiting to hear from a few others what they thought).[/quote']

I just recieved my copy today. I gave it the quick once over. So far I like it. I, also like how they divided up the heroes from the villians. Heroes on the player side villians in the DM Vault. Some nasty villians in there. The art except for a few instances did distract from my overall pleasure of the product. I know how much time an effort goes into doing the artwork and I want to say that I have seen artists that I thought were not the greatest and then they would improve would more work and time. I hope this to be the case. So without naming any names know that you have my support.

If I could co-opt this for my own, mostly unbiased review. I got it today as well. The Hero side art I found by and large more appealing than the villain side art. Also, if we're not going to get colored art. Nice black and white over gray scale would be more my style.

As for the characters themselves; well this one is awesome. Particularly Brigade from Australia. Capital character that one :D

The power levels are mixed and we see some pretty big league power there.

It's a book of good and evil NPC's it rounds out the CU and gives some flavor for travelling scenarios.

overall I'd give it an 8/10; perhaps seven if I wasn't in it :)

(and Darren & Steve made me a Brick! I knew they paid attention to me! Thanks guys!)

If I could co-opt this for my own, mostly unbiased review. I got it today as well. The Hero side art I found by and large more appealing than the villain side art. Also, if we're not going to get colored art. Nice black and white over gray scale would be more my style.

As for the characters themselves; well this one is awesome. Particularly Brigade from Australia. Capital character that one :D

The power levels are mixed and we see some pretty big league power there.

It's a book of good and evil NPC's it rounds out the CU and gives some flavor for travelling scenarios.

overall I'd give it an 8/10; perhaps seven if I wasn't in it :)

(and Darren & Steve made me a Brick! I knew they paid attention to me! Thanks guys!)

Heh. I was more taken with the Villian side art. But I agree with you on about everything else

Can anyone give me a rouster of who is in the book' date=' and what country thay are from?[/quote']

This is what was in the playtest. The book hasn't arrived at my FLGS yet for me to verify.

Heroes:

Autour: France

Der Bogennshutze: Germany

Chevalier: France

Corrente: Protugal

Fazfa Tel: Hungary

Zmierzch: Poland

Gyeroy Vedun: Russia

Stalnoy Volk: Russia

Vulnapyezdka: Russia

Zemletpy Asenee: Russia

Caracal: Saudi Arabia

Fist of Allah: Iran

Ha'pele: Israel

Ma'at: Egypt

Gazelle: South Africa

Ogun: Nigeria

Rashindar: India

Anvil: India

Saba Devatao: India

Bai Hou: China

Charm Girl: Japan

Disheng Long: China

Shonen No Kufu: Japan

Silverwing: Thailand

Soaring Eagle: China

Tetsuronin: Japan

Brigade: Australia

Harrier: Australia

Walkabout: Australia

Acantilado: Mexico

El Dorado: Brazil

Macuhuitl: Mexico

Orchid: Barbados

Villains:

Le Bouc: France

Dinamo: Italy

Obelisque: France

Panzer: Germany

Pilvi: Finland

Der Schwarze Tod: Germany

Venin Vert: France

Beek: Russia

Eretsun: Russia

Molnya: Russia

Slun: Russia

Technyik: Russia

A'Asifa Rumlia: Saudia Arabia

Abd Al-Mughni: Israel

Glamor: Israel

Ifrit: Saudia Arabia

Ina'Akasu: Middle-East

Khanjar: Middle-East

Turs Al-Sh'ab: Iraq

Ironhorn: South Africa

The Living Sphinx: Egypt

Joseph Otanga: Nahambane

Pridemaster: Kenya

Black Tiger: India

Katar: India

The Lord of Rats: India

Monsoon: India

Survalesh: India

Atoll: Philippines

The Eel:

Kazan: Japan

Lam Kuei: China

Li Chun the Destroyer: China

Strangler: North Korea

Tetsuryu: Japan

Ying: China

Anathema: Australia

Lightning Man: Australia

Taipan: Australia

Eclipsar: Peru

Raya De Plata: Mexico

El Sauriano: Brazil

El Tiburon: Mexico

Thanks for the detailed info. How well is everything integrated into the existing CU back-story? Any obvious conflicts or interesting additions? Cool or not-so-cool plot seeds?

The only two characters in the CWW playtest I read were Rashindar and Tetsuronin. I don't like to read pdfs and for whatever reason I had no desire to print out the playtest and read it [that's not a reflection on the quality, but more the fact that I have been very busy with M&M of late].

Rashindar was not what I expected. I had expected to see another one of these 100+ point VPP mage-characters I so loathe. I didn't expect to get a character who can be considered one of the strongest characters in the CU when in Stature of Vamana form. :)

Tetsuronin was pretty much what I expected from an powered-armored character. He's very powerful but seems to have most of the "standard" powered-armor things. Still I found the character interesting to read and I have incorporated a similar hero based off of him in my new Miami game.

Rashindar was not what I expected. I had expected to see another one of these 100+ point VPP mage-characters I so loathe. I didn't expect to get a character who can be considered one of the strongest characters in the CU when in Stature of Vamana form. :)

And he's very well aware of that fact, too, which IMO enhances his usefulness as a NPC hero. He thinks he can handle any challenge alone rather than needing to ally with other heroes, so it's easy to justify keeping him out of the PCs territory, or using him to deal with one area of a major crisis while the PCs concentrate on another. Rashindar is also unlikey to ask for help unless and until he's in over his head and the player-characters have to save his butt. He's also rather arrogant regarding his abilities, which can lead to some interesting role-playing friction. :eg:

Finally finished reading the whole thing. I had barely looked over the playtest. Something about holding it in my hands in it's final version makes it seem more satisfying. My thoughts:

1. This is going to be very helpful. Although it does not show any teams it does tell you what teams are being used in the region it covers, who the members are and their generic make up (i.e. brick, energy projector, etc...)

2. I had already implemented some of the characters from the book in my campaign as an unofficial and very secret board of advisors to UNTIL.

3. I have two characters that have spy backgrounds and it will be interesting to be able to put together Alias style missions for them against some of the characters (Beek, Molnya, Slun, Joseph Otanga, Black Tiger) mentioned in the book. Although their organizations are not seriously detailed, I have enough information to expand it in the way I think best reflects the intentions of my game.

4. Some of the villians are okay and some of the villians are waaaaay nasty, at least for the power level of my game. The heroes are pretty cool with a lot of variety there.

5. All in all I really liked this book. The only slight complaint is that there are not enough detailed supervillian groups in the Champions universe. Sure I can put togther some mercs for a one time thing but a group helps alleviate the problem of me trying to make all the pieces fit together.

Well, tomorrow I'm going down to the wonderful city in Queensland referred to, at various points, Brisvegas, Brisneyland, or, on rare occasions, Brisbane. Sadly, Champions Worldwide won't be available there yet. So I am going to have to buy the most interesting books that are available there.

But that's OK, because I already have a bit of a plan for how Australia, no, Brisneyland and The Swamp (the place where I live/exist) relate to the Champions Universe. Sure, all of the stuff in Champions Worldwide is true, but, let's face it, most of the interesting super-people in Australia are Empyreans, Atlanteans, Lemurians, aliens or whatever. Who cares about the rest. Well, OK, it looks like there might be a couple of people to worry about, but, I'm sure "we" can sort them out. :)

I've actually reconstructed the original 3rd Edition version of my favourite character, Assault, recently. It will be interesting to see how he compares with the nasties in Champions Worldwide. They will undoubtedly be much tougher than him, but that gap would close a lot if I were to build him up to 350 points. No, really, 250+ point characters don't entirely suck.

The original version of Assault grandfathers to about 290 points, once you add the extra skills required these days, plus a bit of Knockback Resistance. His defences are seriously excessive compared to the current recommended levels, but that was part of his original conception. I don't have his original character sheet any more.

However you want to look at it, Bricks are cheap and easy builds. Even a very basic lame-o character is good fun to play.

Oh yeah. Obviously I am hanging out for the book that describes Assault's official allies/rivals and opponents. Duh. But I'm not going to see it for a couple of months. :(

This is what was in the playtest. The book hasn't arrived at my FLGS yet for me to verify.

Heroes:

Autour: France

Der Bogennshutze: Germany

Chevalier: France

Corrente: Protugal

Fazfa Tel: Hungary

Zmierzch: Poland

Gyeroy Vedun: Russia

Stalnoy Volk: Russia

Vulnapyezdka: Russia

Zemletpy Asenee: Russia

Caracal: Saudi Arabia

Fist of Allah: Iran

Ha'pele: Israel

Ma'at: Egypt

Gazelle: South Africa

Ogun: Nigeria

Rashindar: India

Anvil: India

Saba Devatao: India

Bai Hou: China

Charm Girl: Japan

Disheng Long: China

Shonen No Kufu: Japan

Silverwing: Thailand

Soaring Eagle: China

Tetsuronin: Japan

Brigade: Australia

Harrier: Australia

Walkabout: Australia

Acantilado: Mexico

El Dorado: Brazil

Macuhuitl: Mexico

Orchid: Barbados

Villains:

Le Bouc: France

Dinamo: Italy

Obelisque: France

Panzer: Germany

Pilvi: Finland

Der Schwarze Tod: Germany

Venin Vert: France

Beek: Russia

Eretsun: Russia

Molnya: Russia

Slun: Russia

Technyik: Russia

A'Asifa Rumlia: Saudia Arabia

Abd Al-Mughni: Israel

Glamor: Israel

Ifrit: Saudia Arabia

Ina'Akasu: Middle-East

Khanjar: Middle-East

Turs Al-Sh'ab: Iraq

Ironhorn: South Africa

The Living Sphinx: Egypt

Joseph Otanga: Nahambane

Pridemaster: Kenya

Black Tiger: India

Katar: India

The Lord of Rats: India

Monsoon: India

Survalesh: India

Atoll: Philippines

The Eel:

Kazan: Japan

Lam Kuei: China

Li Chun the Destroyer: China

Strangler: North Korea

Tetsuryu: Japan

Ying: China

Anathema: Australia

Lightning Man: Australia

Taipan: Australia

Eclipsar: Peru

Raya De Plata: Mexico

El Sauriano: Brazil

El Tiburon: Mexico

Great Jumping Judas! Ya think they included enough characters? :smile:

But seriously, I will be glad when this arrives at my front door. It sounds great, and I've wanted to get a look at the latest incarnation of Joseph Otanga for a long time. Does he still come off as 'Idi Amin with superpowers'?

Perceptions:

Definitely a notch below CKC in the areas of interesting characters and, especially, art. No offense to the artists used, especially considering they have far more talent than I but, for my tastes, the quality of illustrations has been decreasing since the early Champions art. I can only guess the art budget has dropped immensely due to greater financial constraints.

Favs:

Heroes

Autour

Fist of Allah (favorite hero)

Rashindar

Charm Girl

Tetsuronin (close second)

Villains

Panzer

Slun

Khanjar

Joseph Otanga

Black Tiger

The Lord of Rats

Li Chun

Strangler

Taipan (favorite villain; he's nasty!)

Eclipsar

Overall, I liked it. I was a bit surprised that it's basically a big villain book, as it was suggested it wouldn't be. Then again, I like villain books, so that wasn't a big deal. I thought the art was decent....but some of the characters had no illustrations. Not having a pic for a guy called The Black death is criminal! The writeups were generally well done and plenty of good(and powerful) heroes to go around.

Among the heroes, I liked Ma'at because she fits into my campaign perfectly. Lots of the bad guys were fun. Taipan is nasty no doubt, but the "sandwoman" clone was neat too.

Rob

but some of the characters had no illustrations. Not having a pic for a guy called The Black death is criminal!

This is the type of thing which ticks me off the most. In a comic book game art is essential to help you get the feel for the character. Even a bad picture is better then no picture at all, IMO.