Legion of Superheros.

fauxgemini

Howdy out there,

Well, I'm proud to say that I might have a Legion of Superheros type game starting up soon.

Besides the classic Flight ring (With Mindlink comm unit.) what other little details do you think I could add from time to time to take players back to that classic comic?

I have a few myself, but I'm looking for extra ideas you would think about.

If you haven't done so already, you might consider working out a few Package Deals for average members of some of the "super" races and human sub-species of the era: magnetic powers for Braalians, shapeshifting for Durlans, etc. That would give your players some ready-made options if they need help with character design, and make it easier for you to come up with interesting NPCs on short notice.

You might want to steer clear of Daxamites, though. ;)

I don't recall the trans-suits being connected to the flight rings in any way (other than, perhaps, both being invented by Lyle Norg and/or Querl Dox) in any of the Legion incarnations. The trans-suits have always been depicted as part of the costumes -- they activate automatically, providing a limited time of life support (even when technology should not work -- see the Magic Wars sequence a few Legion iterations ago).

One idea to try for a Legion game: give everyone more than one character. Then for any adventure, they can assemble a team out of any of their characters.

I'm doing this in my own game, and it makes for a real Legion feel: lots of characters, but you focus on just a few at a time.

If you keep everyone's active point caps about the same, you can have wildly different point levels, too. So long as everyone has their niche, it works out pretty well, giving every character the chance in the spotlight.

Plus, it gives you the chance for both Ultra Boy and Matter-Eater Lad types in the group. Since everyone has a high-point character, they feel free to take lower-point characters that can be more focused and more interesting.

The classic Legion Flight Rings and Transuits are standard issue, but don't forget the Telepathic Ear Plugs and- for those really cosmic style adventures- the Time Bubble. More recently, I recall at least one issue of Legion Worlds featuring a new communication device (Omni-something?).

If your just going for the feel, rather than the outright background, I've always thought that a Mother Box type gadget and Radio Telepathy (from The Authority)would be appropriate.

Have a look at the DC One Million TPB, if you can track down a copy. Batman's avatars, Headnet, Solaris (who's origin resembles a certain other mad computer), and even Starman's mercy destruct all have a "Legionish" feel.

For a long while the Legionnaires referred to each other by first name, not hero name, even in public. I don't know if they still do that.

I do remember the suits coming out of the ring, automatically activated. Like an airbag in a car except it engulfed them. I couldn't ever 'believe' how that should work so it stuck in my head.

Don't forget the other Legion, of non-chosen.... :-)

I suppose it would be too much to hope that you were running this game online would it? Say in a Yahoogroups or something? Cause if you were that would be very cool and helpful to certain folks, namely myself, who've wanted to play in a Legion of Superheroes style game using Champions rules.

Re: Legion of Superheros.

Originally posted by fauxgemini

Howdy out there,

Well, I'm proud to say that I might have a Legion of Superheros type game starting up soon.

Besides the classic Flight ring (With Mindlink comm unit.) what other little details do you think I could add from time to time to take players back to that classic comic?

How about the transuits that enabled you to survive in space?

Or the Telepathic earplugs which translate every unknown language into every known laguage?

Let's not forget the starships with hyperdrive[FTL w/Dimensional MVT] or the moble headquarters or the tarnsporters ala ST:TNG.

check out Mymydon press's Cosmic Enforcers RPG for more ideas or better yet wait til GALACTIC CHAMPIONS come out in june or july.

Re: Legion of Superheros.

Originally posted by fauxgemini

Howdy out there,

If you're going to do true LOSH, remember that most of them are teenagers. They're not as angst ridden as mutants, but they still have teen problems.

You need to have classic plotlines and save the universe stuff.

Such as with Universo trying to mind control people, the endless machinations of the Time Trapper, Darkseid and the coming of darkness etc.

You need a Legion of Supervillains some of whom are direct copies of the Heroes. A legion of super rejects who then might go onto become the LOSV.

The code against killing which gets several legionnaires to get kicked out is another one. The flesh baring costumes is another way of reminding people. Compare the old Shadow Lass costumes with the newer ones. The newer ones are much more decent.

Also non-changing costumes like Mon-El and Brianiac for example.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

No Daxamites? I'm not playing!!! :P

come on, how important is game balance, really in the cosmic scheme of things?

LoSH is great.

Scene: Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy interviewing new candiates.

Mon-El: I have all of Superboys powers, but I'm affected by lead and not Kyptonite.

Lightning Boy: Ouch!

Mon-El: Don't worry I have an antidote for it.

Cosmic Boy: Cool, your in. Next!

Bouncing Boy: I invented a serum that allow me to expanded to a ball shape and bounce.

Saturn Girl telepathically to Cosmic Boy and Lightning Lad: Maybe the kid that could eat anything was not so bad.

Long Live the Legion.

Mike

The Legion's been through so many changes in the last few years that its hard to sum up.

Find the miniseries collections: Legion Lost, Legion Worlds, and some of the new Legion series issues. That'll cover the most recent stories and galaxy.

Don't forget strange beasts like the Jovian Montressor or the Vornian Mole or the Lightning Beasts that gave the Lightning siblings their powers. More than one issue revolved around recruiting drives (and attempted infiltrations by spies and assorted bad guys). The Science Police! Star-crossed Romances! The Espionage Squad! Brainiac 5's inventions getting out of hand! The Legion of Supervillains!

Besides the flight rings, transuits (not part of the ring but an expandable capsule, to reconcile the differing views on transuits) and telepathic earplugs, the Legion occasionally used Distorters to provide them with hologaphic disguises, I think they were belt-worn discs.

Blasts from the past: the Tornado Twins (descendants of Barry Allen), Superboy and Supergirl, and Monel.

Whatever happened to: the Oans and Green Lantern Corps, Thanagar, other alien worlds established in 20th century, descendant of famous heroes and villains, immortals, etc. Legion writers got alot of mileage out of exploring this question.

A very rich mine, here.

Big vs Little.

Well,

This game is around the 300 point level. The majority of the PC are members of an organization that watches paranoms on a galatic wide scale. But rather than hurting/controling them it's more like a job opertunity.

I plan on having missions where Terroist groups are established. Rival agencies get in the mix. (Hero vs. Hero fights.) The team training new recuits. (Screening them for potential.) Celebrity drives, murder mysteries.

My organization is a little more grown up with norms running the majority of the support and admin positions. Hell, the team has a comm-officer who acts as a relay between the team and central command. He's a useful contact with the organization and the equivilant of a NPC sidekick. (A few hacking skills, lots of KS and SS skills.)

And in the organization there is a rivalry between the teams as to who got what villian, solved what problem. And the norms in the station they work at. (Mostly maintance crews.) have a betting pool as to who does what. Etc.

Sound good so far?

Originally posted by Mutant for Hire

"My god, he's eating that man's head!"

"It's all right, I'm a senator!"

Hee hee! That's one of my favorite issues ever. "It's Tenzil For The Defense! " "This tastes like week-old crank-case oil. Is it too much to ask for some *fresh* crank-case oil?" And the archaeologists digging up the Batcave? "This giant playing card only proves my theory that Twentieth Century humans must have been enormous!"

Sigh. That series reboot had such potential, frittered away in confusion and editorial infighting. What a waste. dw

Originally posted by Doctor Agenda

Don't forget strange beasts like the Jovian Montressor or the Vornian Mole or the Lightning Beasts that gave the Lightning siblings their powers. More than one issue revolved around recruiting drives (and attempted infiltrations by spies and assorted bad guys). The Science Police! Star-crossed Romances! The Espionage Squad! Brainiac 5's inventions getting out of hand! The Legion of Supervillains!

Or the "ultra-energy star dragon" that ate Ultra Boy to give him his powers. Good stuff. Don't forget the Legion trophy room.

Whatever happened to: the Oans and Green Lantern Corps, Thanagar, other alien worlds established in 20th century, descendant of famous heroes and villains, immortals, etc. Legion writers got alot of mileage out of exploring this question.

Rond Vidar was revealed to be the last Green Lantern, several continuities ago. IIRC, Celeste Rockfish became infused with his ring's energy once it was destroyed.

I can't remember seeing Thanagar turn up, but the current Legion series is getting lots of mileage out of DC continuity -- Ra's Al Ghul, Warworld, etc. And don't forget: Darkseid and Apokolips.

In fact, now JSA is going the reverse way: Mordru has just turned up facing the present-day JSA, when Mordru has traditionally been a Legion (and Gemworld) enemy.

Ah, the LSH. Fond memories indeed.

To add a LSH feel to the universe, you should consider planet specialization -- for example, a prison planet (Takron-Galtos), and administration planet (Weber's World), and so on.

FTL is a must...there's much planet hopping going on.

Don't forget an orbitting medical facility!

Radiation accidents are common -- both for origins and for character rewrites (eg Lightning Lass to Light Lass and back again).

Roster turnover was fairly high thoughout the history of the LSH with many deaths and retirements. Some were even permanent!

The LSH universe was one where high science coexisted with high magic, so *anything* is possible!

Mix up the style/scope of the storylines -- not every event should threaten the world or universe (I think we call that "The Authority") -- throw in some mysteries, political intrigue, etc.

Borrow from classic (campy?) storylines. Have at least one member be a villian infiltrating the group; the entire team should be captured at least once and stuck in a "Super Gulag" of some kind; the team's computer servant should go crazy at least once and the team should be outlawed semi-regularly!

And finally, have situations where the most unlikely powers are the most useful (think Chemical King and Bouncing Boy).