Building the Animated Justice League

Pattern Ghost

I've only seen a few episodes, but the only surprise I've seen out of Hawkgirl is that she throws the mace and can use it for illumination. The mace also seems like it might provide some missile deflecting power (missile deflection, force wall, or DCV levels). In flight, she probably has an enhanced DCV. I've been mildly surprised by how much bashing damage she can take, but she hasn't shrugged off any blatant killing attacks.

I'd be inclined to give her decent PRE and some serious minded psych lims, of course.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Tabula Rasa she should very good combat manueverability in air (so combat skills or extra dex while in flight). I believe that she has to wear a space suit while in a vacuum, but I think that she can fly (she was on the moon in the episode Green Lantern was captured). I haven't seen her do any crime fighting skills, but since Batman is the skill based character his skills tend to dominate. Low Ego as she seemed to be one of the ones most effected by Dr. Destiny.

i wouldn't say "low" ego myself, the others sleeping were pretty firmly trapped as well until MM helped out.

I do think one of her Psychological limitations might be "Agressive" Ironic as it sounds, she seems to prefer Fight over "flight" ;)

Perhaps she has an HA Multipower, there have been times seems to hit for extra Knockback, others when she almost autofires with rapid strikes.

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

So, how long ago did you guys see 'Only a dream' ? Part I just aired last night for me, with Tabula Rasa the last two weeks.

Justice League also comes on at 10:00pm eastern Saturday night & 1:00am Eastern Sunday morning for an hour, so you can see the whole story. 'Only a Dream' premiered on the 11th.

Also, Justice League just started showing at 5:30 Eastern on Cartoon Network Mon-Thur. 'Only a Dream' pt. 1 will show today and pt 2 will show tomorrow.

Originally posted by Hermit

i wouldn't say "low" ego myself, the others sleeping were pretty firmly trapped as well until MM helped out.

I do think one of her Psychological limitations might be "Agressive" Ironic as it sounds, she seems to prefer Fight over "flight" ;)

Another Psych Lim she should have is 'Claustrophobia'. She nearly had a heart attack when Luminus formed that Box around her. It also explains why she was in such dire straits during her dream sequence (don't forget, she escaped Dr. Destiny's first dream-trap, though Destiny was able to keep her in a dream state until he could find a trap that worked).

Hawkgirl's Ego and the Doctor Destiny Arc: Honestly, I know it's just a convention of the developing story, but I'd argue with her having a higher ego then Flash or Supes. She holds out the "longest" relative to the what the others went through. She's the last rescued, and the others had more or less given up until helped by either MM or MM and whoever he had already rescued. The sole exception is of course GL who just starts to open a can right away after he realizes it's mostly a battle of wills.

I also agree on the mace granting some form of defense thing, she uses it to block power blasts, bullets, a lot of stuff actually. And I know her defenses might not be stellar, but she did get rammed by a ME-109 (Well the wing anyway) and seemed at most mildly stunned. She was getting up to smack the pilot while he was going for his pistol. Sidenote: Man, that pilot must have ice water for blood. I don't think many folk would sneer and reach for a pistol after ramming the winged chick with your PLANE didn't work...

She does tend to dodge more than block though, the blocking comes in when she is on terminal approach and ready to unleash a Mace-whoppin' to someone. If she isn't charging, I usually remember her just moving out of the way. Skills...Hmmm. The recent GL episode with Despero would seem to imply two things. Military/Police training (Which we mostly knew already) and some teaching experience, like a drill sergeant. A decently high PRE also seems to be a must.

She does tend to dodge more than block though, the blocking comes in when she is on terminal approach and ready to unleash a Mace-whoppin' to someone.

She seems to have some very basic ability to do missle deflection with the mace in a coupl episodes. She's also strong willed (high ego.) Really aside from that though she's pretty sucky. In the first half of the dr. dream guy episode she got rescued TWICE, and GL or someone is regularly catching her in midair because an enemy looked at her funny and knocked her out. I think she's been unconcious in almost every episode in which she's fought villians because just about every hit knocks her out and her record for dodging things is probably runnning 50%. She really seems like she's usually human level (top human mind you) in just about everything, all though occasionally she seems superhuman. The only exceptional thing is the mace which has probably been the biggest damage the team has as I don't think even Superman has been shown to pack as much of a punch as it yet.

With 3 flying bricks on the team who also have a variety of other powers, she comes in a very distant 4rth being relativly weak, slow and with almost no powers. Even as a detective she couldn't hold a candle to MM and BM so... she really just seems to be eye candy.

Originally posted by J4y

She really seems like she's usually human level (top human mind you) in just about everything, all though occasionally she seems superhuman. The only exceptional thing is the mace which has probably been the biggest damage the team has as I don't think even Superman has been shown to pack as much of a punch as it yet.

True, in the War World episode she knocked an energy blast back into the cannon, I also seem to remember her dealing out lots of damage in the first GL centered episode.

With 3 flying bricks on the team who also have a variety of other powers, she comes in a very distant 4rth being relativly weak, slow and with almost no powers. Even as a detective she couldn't hold a candle to MM and BM so... she really just seems to be eye candy.

Maybe she should be modeled more as a flying martial artist. Balancing her out with the rest of the team is difficult for the reason mentioned, everyone else is very multifaceted, she flies, has a mace and a few skills.

Yeah, giving her a lot of martial arts would probably be a good idea - it'd simulate her combat training well. She should have a decent ego, higher than flash's at least (maybe around 15?) and a bit of mental defense - she seemed to last as long or longer against Despero's psychic assault than Katma Tui. To simulate her toughness, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add in a lot (~15 pts) of basic PD & ED, and then give her the Combat Luck version of Damage Resistance.

I realise it does not nessesarily hold true, but I am creating her with greater flight speed, but with out the VarAdvantege I am giving some of the others who I consider faster than her (Most flyers have been 10" with VarAdvantage, she is going to be at 25") This makes her much faster in a fight, but outside of a fight she is nowhere near as fast.

I like the idea of giving her good, slightly superhuman STR, say 30 or so, and a bunch of martial arts. She throws the GL's around for a while without the use of the Honkin' big mace after all.

And I might be mis-remembering, but it seems to me that when she does get hit while flying, it's usually one out of several attacks directed at her, not she just gets clipped by a lone shot. At least as a generalization.

The place where she usually does not do as well in combat is when she's grounded. Her fight against Amazo springs to mind.

Hawkgirl's wings

I don't see the cartoon as often as I'd like, but read the comic book. In that, it would seem that Hawkgirl's wings are part of her, making her different from either version that has been in comic books before. Has there been anything in the cartoons to imply that the wings are not always there?

The comic at one point had the wings scrunched up into a backpack, but she has never been seen without them. And later in the same adventure, the JLA went on an "everyone in civies" camping trip and she was still winged, though otherwise in civies.

Also, I believe the cartoon had Flash asking at one point "Is there a Hawkboy (man?)?" She didn't answer.

Re: Hawkgirl's wings

Originally posted by Captain Liberty

I don't see the cartoon as often as I'd like, but read the comic book. In that, it would seem that Hawkgirl's wings are part of her, making her different from either version that has been in comic books before. Has there been anything in the cartoons to imply that the wings are not always there?

The comic at one point had the wings scrunched up into a backpack, but she has never been seen without them. And later in the same adventure, the JLA went on an "everyone in civies" camping trip and she was still winged, though otherwise in civies.

Also, I believe the cartoon had Flash asking at one point "Is there a Hawkboy (man?)?" She didn't answer.

In "Hearts and Minds" Despero paws at Hawkgirl's wings and says something effect, "The wings are quite exoctic, I'll use her as a personal attendant." So it seems that her wings are part of her. Also reading through the official WB site for JL they indicate that one of Hawkgirl's powers is the ability to communicate with birds (though it hasn't been used in any of the episodes unless she got the penguins to attack Orm in "The Enemy Below." In "A Better World" it looks like Hawkgirl's mace can direct electricity somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

I think after seeing "The Terror Beyond" tonight we might need to make some adjustments to Hawkgirl.

Sweet monkey Jesus she was unstoppable...

Plus, in addition to cop skills we can apparently add a small amount of mystic Thangarian hoodoo.

Also, the GL trial had one other thing I just noticed today. Hawkgirl gets blasted by a Manhunter, goes through a window (no big deal) and then a WALL and hops back up GROWLING! That is one very tough Thangarian.

I had a gaming geek moment after the third or so time that Hawkgirl showed up Superman -- "How much Luck did she buy?"

She knocked a hole in Fate's tower, she blasted through Inza's shield, and she deflected Fate's mystic bolt. All with that dang mace.

But she definately needs lots of d6 of Luck.