Order of the Stick

Rapier

Okay, that is a whammy.

I asume the gods want to pre-empt the snarl getting free. It was already said they would have to undo the world for that (again).

My guess is Hel wants that to play out instead. Making lots of Hel Clerics after getting past the door might be the way:

Every cleric get's a vote. Only one cleric per deity is allowed to enter through the door. But converting everyone of the creed into Hel clerics from inside might give Hel a ton of Votes.

No matter how this turns out (and I asume it will be a "give them anotehr chance", otherwise the comic is over) I don't think the OOTS can expect any help from the higher level clerigy. Simple reason:

The best defense for the rifts has always been that nobody knows they exist, outside of the gods. Even after all this time of adventure, only a handfull of people have learned of it.

Xykon learnt of where the rift was in Azure city by tracking a certain paladin.

I guess the Godmoots temple is protected by epic or divine level protection. But outside of it every single one of this clerics has at least a dozen Clairvoyance spells tracking them (from various villainous organisations, lower ranks in thier own curch or an enemy curch).

They could certainly kill Xykon. But in doing so they would defeat the rifts primary defense - secrecy.

This is a nice example how "all the power, none of the abiltiy to affect something" can work out.

This is a nice example how "all the power, none of the abiltiy to affect something" can work out.

I dunno, I think if word were to get out about this threat, every force on the planet (good and bad) would drop what they're doing to squash Xykon. He's not the biggest bad out there by a longshot, I gather. Then there'd be an epic battle as people try to take out "targets of opportunity" but the world would be safe.

I dunno, I think if word were to get out about this threat, every force on the planet (good and bad) would drop what they're doing to squash Xykon. He's not the biggest bad out there by a longshot, I gather. Then there'd be an epic battle as people try to take out "targets of opportunity" but the world would be safe.

And everyone and thier mooks would know "Gates that threaten the gods" exist. Wich means that the mooks - or thier relatives will - come back to use that power.

Same way Xykon and Redcloak are trying to use that power now.

Any action like this would get the word out to everybody. Wich means there will be more threats to the gates in the future. Remember that gods are thinking of decades like days.

If it takes one generation for the next threath to emerge, that is way too short.

And everyone and thier mooks would know "Gates that threaten the gods" exist. Wich means that the mooks - or thier relatives will - come back to use that power.

Same way Xykon and Redcloak are trying to use that power now.

Any action like this would get the word out to everybody. Wich means there will be more threats to the gates in the future. Remember that gods are thinking of decades like days.

If it takes one generation for the next threath to emerge, that is way too short.

Except the power is useless- unless you want to destroy the world. OOTS has been going on a long time, so maybe I'm forgetting the part where Xykon articulates his master plan and his knowledge of the Snarl, but isn't he just trying to attune to them and then destroy them so that he can seize their power?

Redcloak, I'm very certain, doesn't give a whit about the gates so much as he sees them as an end to help him create a goblin nation that can stand apart from all powers. Xykon is his means to an end, but I don't think it'll play out the way he wants to.

Except the power is useless- unless you want to destroy the world. OOTS has been going on a long time, so maybe I'm forgetting the part where Xykon articulates his master plan and his knowledge of the Snarl, but isn't he just trying to attune to them and then destroy them so that he can seize their power?

Redcloak, I'm very certain, doesn't give a whit about the gates so much as he sees them as an end to help him create a goblin nation that can stand apart from all powers. Xykon is his means to an end, but I don't think it'll play out the way he wants to.

Not attune to them, so much as controll the Snarl.

The Snarl, a weapon that can kill gods without an effort.

Xykon is just aware that all his power means nothing considering the gods could just squash him anyway. The snarl is his "monster in the dark vs gods". Remember his "what means power" speech to V?

Wich greater power then one that can keep all the gods at bay can there be?

Redcloak wants to either end the world (so this time the Goblin godess* is around to have a word in the goblins lot) or to force them to give the goblin godess a place on the big pantheons.

*The Goblins god rose to power long after the world was created. One of the cases where a Mortal became god. No so say during the creation of the world.

Welll...

Clearly we know which way Hel votes, or it would not matter. But that makes it a tie across the board. I wonder how that gets resolved.

In any case, looks like #1,000 will be an important piece of the narrative!

I am not sure how Hel would vote. But I also think it is quite possible Hel is preparing to break the system, as I indicated before. Only time will tell. Sooner or later.

Destroying the world would cause a massive influx of souls into the afterlife, since ending the world should only affect the Prime Material Plane (otherwise the gods would be a bit more against ending things).

How this benefits Hel? Maybe she thinks it will net her a large bounty of dishonorable souls?

As we wait patiently for #1,000, I'll share a brief epiphany I had discussing Paladins associating with evil and neutral characters on another web site.

Let's talk about this issue. Like lying, it seems a broad issue. Paladins have been barred from having evil associates. "We are judged by the company we keep", and he certainly should not condone evil or chaotic activity.

But is this another example of simplistic morality? What is more noble, to shun those who turn away from the path of righteousness, or to stand as a shining example of righteousness, showing the unenlightened the error of their ways, and working to redeem them? "Love the sinner, hate the sin".

Somewhat tangentially, as I consider this and similar threads, I am amazed how much a comic strip about stick figures can add to my thinking on this. Order of the Stick (pushing 1,000 posts) has some pretty amazing bits. This may be the best description I have ever seen of alignment change, and he just slipped it in under the radar. The whole Belkar story arc is a pretty solid example of an Evil character associating with Good characters, and having that example rub off, not really consciously and despite the Evil character's best efforts. Way back in its history, it has some of the best Intolerant Paladin examples as well.

Not bad for half a dozen stick figures who started out poking gentle fun at our little hobby. I aspire to imparting the depth of these stick figures to my characters.