Order of the Stick

Rapier

Re: Order of the Stick

I have to say, if it were a campaign in one of my groups, Belkar's player would be told to write up a new character or not come back by now. Killing the random passer-by was wrong, but at least didn't mess up the other characters. This offense was calculated to ruin what the rest of the party was trying to accomplish -- when your PC starts doing stuff calculated to annoy the other players, there's a serious issue.

Belkar is funny in a dark humor way' date=' but he's also become the proverbial mad dog that needs to be put down.. I wonder who's going to get the job of doing that?[/quote']

I dunno, part of me thinks he just got an early copy of 4th edition and has been playing by the RAW. ;)

I don't know. I see the end of that strip as the ultimate DM slap down for a problem player. You think you're gonna screw up the quest? Yeah well that Oracle wasn't as dumb as you think. Surprise! Your mark is activated. Have a nice day.

Wouldn't that thing result in his death if it got activated? I don't remember specifically.

I don't know. I see the end of that strip as the ultimate DM slap down for a problem player. You think you're gonna screw up the quest? Yeah well that Oracle wasn't as dumb as you think. Surprise! Your mark is activated. Have a nice day.

Wouldn't that thing result in his death if it got activated? I don't remember specifically.

Not death directly, more Belkar gets weaker and weaker until he can't hurt anyone.

I have to say' date=' if it were a campaign in one of my groups, Belkar's player would be told to write up a new character or not come back by now. Killing the random passer-by was wrong, but at least didn't mess up the other characters. This offense was calculated to ruin what the rest of the party was trying to accomplish -- when your PC starts doing stuff calculated to annoy the other [i']players[/i], there's a serious issue.

Depends on the group. It's an interesting complication, and the fictional group of players in OotS has put up with plenty, so they seem to not mind such complications thrown in their path for the sake of the story.

At least, not enough to quit the game.

"Stupid railroad plot".

I've never played D&D 3.5, but from what I could find on the internet, it does one of the following:

-6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).

-4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.

Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.

Of course it also includes the ability to invent your own effect, but it shouldn't be more powerful than those listed above. :)

I've never played D&D 3.5, but from what I could find on the internet, it does one of the following:

-6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).

-4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.

Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.

Of course it also includes the ability to invent your own effect, but it shouldn't be more powerful than those listed above. :)

And apparently that effect is manifesting itself in spontaneous...yick. Excellent!

I liked the plot twist. Everyone's character stays intact, and the storyline doesn't fragment further.

From a GM's point of view

the problem player doesn't get kicked out, but does get a reprimand, and the other players don't have to stretch to explain why their character's continue to keep company with his.

I WONDERED if that would come into play. Good on Haley while it lasted though.

But will Roy still remember once he leaves the Oracle's zone? Or if he ever finally gets resurrected?

I'm hoping so. It puts Roy, if he returns, into an interesting and true leadership call.

I liked the plot twist. Everyone's character stays intact, and the storyline doesn't fragment further.

From a GM's point of view

the problem player doesn't get kicked out, but does get a reprimand, and the other players don't have to stretch to explain why their character's continue to keep company with his.

Yeah, except it was only the player getting the reprimand. The character hasn't been given any reason to change his ways.