Wow....that is a useless power for sure....

Herolover

Re: Wow....that is a useless power for sure....

True. However' date=' without mad levels of telescopic, your chances of spotting anything beyone a few light-seconds (i.e. at a distance where FTL vision would actually be useful) are going to be virtually zero.[/quote']

Shame you can't buy "No Range Modifiers" on your Sight Group. ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Curse of the Octopus: Extra Limb' date=' Useable On Others at Range, Autofire.[/quote']And they attack with the target's own STR. You so should have been at Origins for the Build N Brawl Iron Chef, in which everyone tried to abuse the system without technically breaking the rules, all for a big smackdown free-for-all.

FTL Vision would be a *great* power for anyone with any interest in astronomy. Think about it: You could see what's happening in, say, the Eagle Nebula *right now*, and compare that to the images from regular telescopes.

FTL Vision would be a *great* power for anyone with any interest in astronomy. Think about it: You could see what's happening in' date=' say, the Eagle Nebula *right now*, and compare that to the images from regular telescopes.[/quote']

FTL vision will not help you see a long way away. It will make it so you see faster that light. As in you see thing so fast that maybe you can see photons moving or you see so fast that they look like they are not moving. that is if you could see things that small. Think about it that way not Telescopic.

I'd have fun with Taste: Ranged. I'd go and taste all the lovely ladies in sight. :D Would get old, though.

Personally, in the vein of Rainbow Pee Boy, I'd say that the ability to turn your pee into a pure form of an alcoholic beverage of your choice would be fairly useless... not to mention not worth the effort to use it.

FTL vision will not help you see a long way away. It will make it so you see faster that light. As in you see thing so fast that maybe you can see photons moving or you see so fast that they look like they are not moving. that is if you could see things that small. Think about it that way not Telescopic.

Perhaps you've heard of these interesting devices called "telescopes?" They come in many sizes, and I understand that some of them can even be used by the public.

I believe one of the earliest Xanth novels mentioned an individual whose special mystic power was the ability to change the colour of his urine as he was passing it. Find a world-saving utilization of that power! :idjit:
Peeing into the... ummm... photon accelerator chamber... of a planet-smashing super-laser, in a color that's the exact compliment of the color of the beam, thereby negating it...

So there! :P

I just got back from Origins and was very proud of the player who played Barnraiser in one of my games. He used the skills agronomy and carpentry as well as a defense 2 tunnelling power to great effect. Not bad at all for an Amish brick with a pacifist's code.

I remember a kid who wanted the ability to see through girls clothes, like an old "Spy device" seen in small ads at the back of 60's era comic books. So he bought this amazingly limited N-ray vision that only penetrated 1mm below any material.

A multiple clothes, a thick leather coat or combat gear stumped him every time.

Perhaps you've heard of these interesting devices called "telescopes?" They come in many sizes' date=' and I understand that some of them can even be used by the public.[/quote']

Did you even read my post? FTL is faster than light. FTL visions is faster than light vision. Thus you see real fast not far."telescopes" help you see far not fast.

What part do you not understand? the fast or the far part? 8-P

I think we have a fundamentally different view on "FTL vision." FTL vision, meaning you can somehow see things at greater-than-light velocities, means you can see objects before the light from them reaches us. Therefore, you see things with less of a time lag than normal light-based vision. Therefore, on the astronomical scale (where this becomes significant), you can see a more recent image of nebulae, stellar nurseries, et. al. subject to the limits of your ability to resolve them. So if you can use this ability in conjuction with a regular telescope, you can observe a thousand light year away object and see what was going on, say fifty years ago instead of a thousand years ago.

I think we have a fundamentally different view on "FTL vision." FTL vision' date=' meaning you can somehow see things at greater-than-light velocities, means you can see objects before the light from them reaches us. Therefore, you see things with less of a time lag than normal light-based vision. Therefore, on the astronomical scale (where this becomes significant), you can see a more recent image of nebulae, stellar nurseries, et. al. subject to the limits of your ability to resolve them. So if you can use this ability in conjuction with a regular telescope, you can observe a thousand light year away object and see what was going on, say fifty years ago instead of a thousand years ago.[/quote']

Yes that would be about the only use for FTL vision as long as you had a telescope with which to use it.

Yes that would be about the only use for FTL vision as long as you had a telescope with which to use it.

It would also, in Champions, allow you to see where you were going when moving at FTL speeds (optional rule in Ultimate Speedster) and allow you to see FTL objects in the Speed Zone (Ultimate Speedster again). In a game setting where FTL was possible, FTL vision would be useful.

It would also' date=' in Champions, allow you to see where you were going when moving at FTL speeds (optional rule in Ultimate Speedster) and allow you to see FTL objects in the Speed Zone (Ultimate Speedster again). In a game setting where FTL was possible, FTL vision would be useful.[/quote']

What about FTL hearing and smell? ;)

And then there's Gladiola Gal, who talks to plants. Well, and hear their replies.

The thing is, your average plant is not exactly a sparking intellect, and she can't make them do anything a plant wouldn't normally be able to do.

On the other hand, she always knows when someone in the neighborhood is mowing the lawn!

FTL sight, even without optical aid, would let you see the next nearby (as in, inside this quadrant of our Galaxy) supernova "is". That's likely to have already happened, and the light "bubble" hasn't reached us yet. In a Galactic Champions campaign, it might even be appropriate that this event was triggered by bad guys and the heroes had to undo it.

Taste the Flash' date=' baby. ;)[/quote']

Taste has great possibilities for uselessness. It's Your Lunch Is Delicious Man! Range modifiers vs. Taste, +24, No Conscious Control.

"There's a man having a croissant for breakfast in Paris. And it's delicious."

I give you: "See? He's not really there."

12d6 Physical Energy Blast, Only Usable Against Desolidified Targets (-1), 30 pts.

Note, if you will, the lack of "Usable against Desolid" advantage. I suppose it's handy if they happen to have your special effect listed as the thing that affects them, but....