Wow....that is a useless power for sure....

Herolover

What is the most useless power/ability that you have heard, read, seen, or know of?

An example is the character from the movie "Sky High" that can melt.

The character that can call rain.

The character that can transform small matter into food.

What others are out there?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wow....that is a useless power for sure....

What is the most useless power/ability that you have heard, read, seen, or know of?

The character that can call rain.

The character that can transform small matter into food.

For crime fighting, I suppose, yes, those would be useless.

But truly useless - no. Two words: northern Africa.

First off I need to go on record by saying that any power can come into play to save the day. The power to clean things up seems kind of useless until you run across a blood ritual that has the pentagram forming on the floor from the blood of their victims. And then the player says "Clean?"

This actually happened.

So I tend to think that there are no useless powers. It is just that some powers are more useful than others. (although the refrigerator might just change my mind. Unless you are trapped in the refrigerator. Punky Brewster anyone?). I tend to have to sell this notion to new players in my games when they talk about skills or talents. I hear a lot of comments about how something is useless until they run across the time that they need it and then I get to hear "Well, how was I supposed to know that would come in handy?"

Now having said that, the ability to turn your thumbs green does not seem like much beyond a drunken party trick.

Ever heard of the PC (don't know if it was also for the Amiga) Game "Superhero League of Hoboken"

The Supers in this game had some useless powers, but you end up needing them to save the world.

There was the power to eat extremly spicy things, clean every mess... and others...

Ok, this game would be a good background for a comedy-champions game but I still love this game... if you find it somewhere and get it to work you will know what I talk about, otherwise this world and the Supers, the Enemies and all are hard to describe... weird and wacky would be the best words :D

Ever heard of the PC (don't know if it was also for the Amiga) Game "Superhero League of Hoboken"

The Supers in this game had some useless powers, but you end up needing them to save the world.

There was the power to eat extremly spicy things, clean every mess... and others...

Ok, this game would be a good background for a comedy-champions game but I still love this game... if you find it somewhere and get it to work you will know what I talk about, otherwise this world and the Supers, the Enemies and all are hard to describe... weird and wacky would be the best words :D

power to clean everything eh?

sounds like an obsessive/compulsive speedster.

"I can't fight Dr. Dimwit here, this place is a mess!"

The villian in Kevin Smith's "Evil that Men Do", had the ability to teleport small quantities of liquid.

invisible spoiler below:

He used the power to teleport heroin into celebrities that didn't want track marks, and killed his mother be teleporting listerene into her heart.

oryan

Heh this reminds me of a contest I and some of my friends used to have ...Build a playable character with the lousiest power possable...I got one of my favorite characters that way...The Nightowl! His sole power is LS-no need to sleep.....he is a bat-clone who always has time to patrol and train...:)

power to clean everything eh?

sounds like an obsessive/compulsive speedster.

"I can't fight Dr. Dimwit here, this place is a mess!"

Mhm... searched a bit around and found the supers from the game

Let's see...

The Power to clean nearly any mess, it was Robomop who did this,

the "The Iron Tummy" could eat spicy stuff...

the leader was "The Crimson tape" with the power to create organizational charts

then there was "Mademoiselle Pepperoni", she has x-ray vision that only works on pizza boxes

"Tropical Oil Man" and his power to increase his enemies’ cholesterol (a real nasty attack)

"Captain Excitement", his power was... well this guy was so boring he was able to put animals to sleep (and only animals)

"Treader Man" who was real good at treading water (there was a lot of water around...)

"Oxide Man" was able to induce rust (at least good against robots)

"Princess Glovebox", her power was to refold road maps

"King Midas" who was able to turn, by his touch, everything into a muffler

"Mighty Magnitude" could in/decrease the size of everything by the factor 10 and was able to cause root rot

"Toastbuster" and his power to vanquish baked goods

"Zaniac" and his power to confuse (actually a good attack)

"Caped Cod" who is also good at treading water

Umm.. Didn't they use those powers to...Ummm....Beat the bad guys. Plus I would not want to mess with The Bowler.

Okay, how about the ones that *didn't* make the team? Like the Waffler (love the song, and the Truth Syrup), or PMS Avenger, or Ballerinaman?

That was a fun game. Especially the villains you got to fight. "Steroid Man tries to scratch his head and misses."

Anyone know if it's available for download/purchase?

Okay' date=' how about the ones that *didn't* make the team? Like the Waffler (love the song, and the Truth Syrup), or PMS Avenger, or Ballerinaman?[/quote']

I would hate to get hit by a hot waffle maker. Pms Avenger? Sure she could only adventure some of the time but when she did the bad guys (and the good guys for that matter) would surely fear her wrath. Ballerinaman...Um... Ballerinaman...Okay I got nothin. :D

Ballerinaman...Um... Ballerinaman...Okay I got nothin. :D

Freaky PRE attack, and male ballet dancers are generally in great shape, with excellent coordination and balance, and good leg strength. He could be fairly handy in a fight.

That was a fun game. Especially the villains you got to fight. "Steroid Man tries to scratch his head and misses."

Anyone know if it's available for download/purchase?

I think it is avaiable at the "Home of the Underdogs" page

http://www.the-underdogs.info

they often give a link to a place where you can buy or download it

just search for Hoboken in the search field

Btw the Waffler is still my favorite from the movie...

The most useless set of powers that i know of were from the heroes in the movie Mystery Men.

Perhaps at the beginning--but when they met the Sphinx and got the training and leadership they needed, they actually became quite formidable.

I said once before that they were 350-point characters, but they were built at 150 points due to their lack of experience and innate ineptitude. When they began their training, they were able to access those points and become that much more capable.

I think had there been a sequel, we would have seen the Mystery Men as Champion City's greatest superheroes, picking up the torch left behind by Captain Amazing.

There should have been a sequel--doggone it. :(