Your Character: The Series (Not exactly WWYCD...)

AdamLeisemann

Much like how popular comics get turned into TV series*, what would your character's television series be like?

I would like to know what you would assume in the following areas;

- Likely TV rating (Y, Y7, G, PG, 14, MA) and reasons. (assume no editing, but feel free to add in a rating and content for an "edited for TV" version for the series.)

- Would it be Live Action (like Smallville) or Animated (like Batman: TAS)?

- What kinds of controversies would your character's show face, if any?

- Anything else?

*(Superman (live action) in the 50s, Spiderman in the 80s (live and animated) and 90s (animated), Batman in the 60s (live) and the 90s (animated), Justice League, Teen Titans, and the Legion of Superheroes (all animated) in the 2000s, the list can go on...)

Just curious, and I figured it would be fun to think about. ^.^

Re: Your Character: The Series (Not exactly WWYCD...)

Let's see, of the campains I am in now...

Uln and Aster is quite surely a tv series (most campaigns are, really). It's a pulp/urban fantasy/horror series. I waffled whether it would be live action (as per Buffy/Angel) or animated (as per Real Ghostbusters/B:tas). I checked with 6-Sided Buddha who's one of my players and he said animated. I'd call it a TV-14, with the only controversy being that *gasp* the supernatural is depicted. The rating might even drop for many episodes - not a lot of nudity and most of the violence is "fantasy violence".

Agents of the Empire (Star HERO) is also a tv series, and definitely animated. Practically none of the PC's are human-looking, and several are not human-scaled. I shudder to think of the budget if someone tried that live-action. This one runs in the G to PG range. I don't see controversy there.

Meridian (Iron Age Champions) is another tv series and live action. Given the amount of pointless cheesecake, probably one of those cheap direct-to-syndication deals with a TV-14.

50 Years After (post-apocalyptic Hero) may actually be a mini-series rather than a tv series. I'd go with live-action on this one as well. PG to TV-14 for adult themes, but not much in the way of sexual content.

The Adventures of Blackberry S. Firr would almost certainly be G, or possibly at the low end of PG, rated.

It would probably take the form of a Reading Rainbow or Muppet Show style variety program, with an assortment of guests and topics.

Blackberry herself would love to be involved in a program that talks about science, and nature, and people, which makes it likely that "her" program would cover those exact same topics.

Terminus would be the name of the show as well as the main character. I'd see it as a combination X-Files paranoia piece (who knows when the Disruption will rear it's ugly head? Who have they compromised?) and straight action. It would definitely be MA (lots of people getting killed, often in gruesome ways, some sex) and probably be made by either Sci-Fi or HBO.

Oh, and definitely live action.

Dr. Damascus: The Animated Series. TV-14 for the deep and serious quandaries that a mystic like him is put in. And obviously animated, since trying to live-action something that looks like Ditko-era interdimensional stories...

Bingo the Clowno: Also animated, and a solid Y7. It would end up more like Scooby Doo with superpowers. Almost no controversies would arise at all.

Senor Mysterio: Done well, it would be live action with actual luchadores. Done badly, it would be Mucha Lucha... If the former, it would have the same kind of controversies that wrestling has, but neither would get terribly involved in actual ethical grey areas.

Soulbarb: Live action, rated 14 or MA, something similar to Buffy/Angel. One point of potential controversy would be her origin as a victim of sacrificial rape and slaughter. A primary focal point of the series would be personal responsibility for one's own actions and the state of one's soul. Initially, Soulbarb will believe that the ends justify the means, since her soul is damned anyway due to her demonic taint. Over time, she will come to adopt a different perspective.

Sylph: If she had her druthers, probably something Y7 involving moral lessons about being nice to others, considerate, helping, etc. Definitely animated, she's too goody-twoshoes to exist in the real world. :D

Artemis: Something Highlanderesque w/o the head hunting. Live action, Probably G or PG. Otherwise fairly boring, by itself. though I think replicating his 360 degree spatial awareness would be quite interesting.

Sparky: Oh, it'd *have* to be something along the lines of Rin-Tin-Tin meets Lassie meets Krypto the Wonder Dog. Y7 all the way, either live action or animated, it wouldn't make that big a difference.

Scarface: Could go one of two ways. Either grim and gritty, live-action, TV-MA, Darkman-meets-Batman-meets-Punisher-meets Spawn: The Series, or...

Or, Scarface could find his television likeness cleaned up and trapped in a 60's-Batman style vigilante/cop show. He'd never, never live it down. :D

The Adventures of Quantum Kitsune

1. Animated, or else it'd need one MASSIVE special FX budget.

2. Probably TV-Y7 or PG, depending on violence level.

3. Controversy? Let's see ..

3a. Besmirching heroes. With her tagline that she doesn't so much fight crime as play cruel tricks on it, she's not quite a role model. Would frequently flaunt laws and taboos (as many as would be allowed, of course).

3b. If there's a toyline, it could easily be viewed as a 30 minute commercial, much as Transformers or GI Joe were.

3c. Possible issues with being too 'sexy', which is why the appearances of Minerva Mink on Animaniacs dropped dramatically about halfway through the series.

4. Heavy Freakazoid! influences. :D

Mask of Justice:

In his own time period: A 12-part serial, in black and white. Due to budget considerations, the only "power" he exhibits is being able to see in the dark, represented by phosphorescent paint on costumes and props. The villain is the Faceless One, revealed as the agent of foreign powers at the end. Several of the minor characters are portrayed in ways shockingly racist or sexist by modern standards. Much of the screen time is taken up by the Junior Justice Club, which convenientlly sets up many of the cliffhangers. The Mask's special abilities are never explained.

In the modern era: A feature film, rathed PG. Thanks to improved special effects, the Mask's full range of vision powers can be depicted (including microscopic and telescopic vision, which he didn't actually have.) Racism, sexism and tobacco use are largely excised, angering many history buffs. The villain is Yondar the Illusionist, once again taking advantage of the special effects budget. The mystic elements of the Mask's origin are emphasized, with the goddess Astraea making a personal appearance.

Characters that I'm working on...

Luna Moth: Possibly live-action, but most likely done anime-style. Somewhere in the PG-range, occasionally for her father's language, but mainly due to the fact that the leading character is an active thief (which is also the main controversy as Luna's targets included any gem that could possibly be linked with the Medusa's Tear, regardless of whether or not the owner has any legal claim to it. And not every gem that Luna stole has been returned.)

Blackie, Midnight, and Trisk the Flying Kittens: Definitly animated (unless someone can round up three stunt doubles that look like 9 years old siblings), probably Y7 or PG, and only controversy that I can think of is the level of violence the 9-year-old triplets use on adult villians (complete with the screams of parents all over if children start trying to emulate the Kittens). The real Flying Kittens would be in complete support of the show (and probably co-presidents of the fanclub in their Secret IDs,) since their only reason for becoming heros was to embarrass their parents into giving up their supervillian fantasies. However their uncontrollable luck-altering powers would probably keep the triplets from going anywhere near the studios.

Well, time for me to use one of my characters in this. Here's what I can see:

The Modern Tales of Reinard the Fox

Animated or Live?: This will most likely be animated (because SFX Budgests are not as big for TV as they were for the 1988 film WFRR.) However, a potentially interesting way to do it would be to use CGI along the lines of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (the animation was the ONLY good part of that drek movie which wasn't even Final Fantasy... But that's for another thread) mixed in with a more traditional animation style for Reinard and Lynx. Though it'd be most perfect if it were possible to do like they did in Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Animated characters in a live-action world.

Likely Rating: Because the producers will most likely try to kiddify Reinard, the rating will most likely be TV-Y7 for fantasy violence. The real Reinard would be TV-14 or TV-MA as things like drug use, prostitution, and the sorts of things found in CSI and similar shows. (It's a bit of an Iron Age world setting.)

Possible Controveries: In the Kiddified version, probably not much. It will most likely run along the lines of a bad rip-off of Freakazoid or Bonkers. In the version truer to the character, which makes no bones about being for adults, there will most likely be the worries within the various communities that a show about a cartoon character should not be so vulgar with the presentation of sociopathic killers, poverty-stricken prostitutes, and other "gritty" aspects that for some reason cannot be allowed in the medium of animation despite being allowed in live-action. (And even when you have adult cartoons, they always have to be incredibly juvenile for some reason... Sheesh. And no, I'm not counting anime in my rant, just the American stuff.)

Other things to Note: Thinking about the kiddified version, I'm rather glad nobody's going to ask for a liscense to use this character for a show. I'm still working on plotting out the comic series.

Voltage: Wouldn't have his own show, but would co-star in "Mellennium Force: The Animated Series." Would be TV-PG or 14. Focus would be on superhero action and adventure, with interesting characterization and some deep themes and involved stories. Possible controversies would include heavy emphasis on the supernatural (especially the Greek Mythos and heavy magic-use), and Voltage's horn-dog personality (hey, he's a 19-year-old superhero. Hormones and testosterone off the scale).

Much like how popular comics get turned into TV series*, what would your character's television series be like?

I would like to know what you would assume in the following areas;

- Likely TV rating (Y, Y7, G, PG, 14, MA) and reasons. (assume no editing, but feel free to add in a rating and content for an "edited for TV" version for the series.)

- Would it be Live Action (like Smallville) or Animated (like Batman: TAS)?

- What kinds of controversies would your character's show face, if any?

- Anything else?

*(Superman (live action) in the 50s, Spiderman in the 80s (live and animated) and 90s (animated), Batman in the 60s (live) and the 90s (animated), Justice League, Teen Titans, and the Legion of Superheroes (all animated) in the 2000s, the list can go on...)

Just curious, and I figured it would be fun to think about. ^.^

Tao would probably be best handled in an live action series with a adult theme. She's a fairly Iron Age character that borders on being an very enhanced action hero instead of a "superhero" per se, but an animated series might work maybe using the animation style of the SPAWN or "The Batman' series. Very serious, kind of dark might be best as a cable show.

Eve would be flat out "Western Anime" Teen Titans-go! style. Very silver age and suitable for children.

I can see Ivy in a Justice League Unlimited style series meant for older kids and adults. The animation style would suit her though she'd probably have to have a "Leaf bikini" added for US broadcast.

Metaworld: Most definately an animated series done in the DCAU style, but rated for TV-MA, for its content (violence, sexual content, etc.). Metaworld could not be done live-action as it would be too SFX intensive for the budget; plus a lot of guest stars are always coming and going.

Jake the Troll would have some sort of live-action teen drama a la Smallville - he's not a superhero yet, so his life (other than being a supernatural entity who can step onto the spirit world and was raised by Catholic parents in Vancouver, BC) isn't all that interesting. If it was 'spiced up' to MAKE it interesting, it would be TV-PG or TV-14. Jake himself would be CGI, but most of the shooting would be done in his trollknor form, played by some 21-year-old waif model pretending to be 16.

General plots would probably be more along the lines of Eerie Indiana or Amazing Stories, as Jake (and his family and friends) straddle the line between the natural and the supernatural, while dealing with the everyday events of growing up in rural Canada.

Controversy in that would be probably the gender-bending aspect of Jake's life, and the tension between his Catholic upbringing and his Norse Pantheon heritage. There might be fantasy violence, (stepping into the spirit world and beating up dragons and the like), but the community he was raised in really didn't have much excitement going on in it. Jake himself is a pretty relaxed guy, so there would be an ongoing joke about how he DOESN'T react like you think a troll would to most situations, but instead reacts like a normal teenager who is very aware of the relative fragility of the world around him.

His show would probably go for 2 years; if successful, it would spin off into This Mutant Life, a teen drama set in Australia (of all places) where Jake would go to school to learn how to be a superhero. Needless to say, due to the locations, this would probably have been put together by the CBC.

Shinji Miromoto - He'd be part of an ensemble cast in Outsiders: Life Under the Street. It could be live action via Beauty and the Beast or Buffy; Shinji's own special effects would be CGI (dark energy aruas), but most of the 'everyday' non-human people would be actors in makeup. TV 14 for content in the adult crime drama vein - seeing (but not participating) in prostitution, drug activity, gang wars, and the like. The main characters try to be heroes and stick together, but mainly it's a show about survival in an urban jungle.

Controversies would be a milder version of the Sopranos - the Outsiders is basically a group of petty criminals, some of whom try to be vigilanties in their spare time. Shinji is also a practicing Buddhist, and so there would be some explicit Asian religous references for him. finally, Shinji is a Dark Psychic, which means his powers work off of and affect 'dark' emotions; thus giving him an insight into the negative aspects of the human condition.

Icon - Another Live-Action series, although mainly aimed at the younger teen side of things: PG for superhero violence, moving up to PG-14 for some episodes that deal with 'real' crime (like the near-successful assassination of Icon).

The show would focus on Icon's attempt to become a superhero in her hometown while dealing with the fallout of her parent's divorce, and her subsequence emotional breakdown she went through before the start of the series. The twist here is that it's not presented in a dramatic, angst-filled way; rather, the writers are almost clinical in showing the damage such actions cause, and how she and her dad are dealing with it. Like in Alley McBeal, the family psychologist would feature fairly regularly, offering advice and a sounding board to Emma and her father.

Controversies would include flashbacks to verbal, emotional, and phsical abuse (from her mother, who shows up in camo appearences), and the passive nature of her father who didn't prevent the abuse.

As I think about it, the entire 1st season of the show would probably be a gradual uncovering of the past actions that led up to Emma choosing to become a superhero; very similar in structure to Veronica Mars, in fact, only there's no investigation or question to be answered by the characters; it's all there fore the viewers, instead.

Well, using more characters of mine, here is what I envision for some of my pther characters:

Sonic Eagle, aside from being African-American, is your basic Silver Age Superhero, making him very appropriate for a DCAU kind of series, rated Y7, his animated adventures might provide a positive portrayal of African-Americans (something that, while more common these days, is a good thing). More likely to be panned for predictable stories than for any controversial content.

Lab Rat should not be on a show of his own, but if we stick to the original concept, he'll be fit for a Teen-Titans type show, TV-Y7 and everything.There may be some controversy in that he doesn't go to school mainly because the High Schools were unable to teach him (one of the flaws of Lab Rat's intellect). Or there could be a show about the Milwaukee Masks. If my brother would like to expand on it, I'll let him.

Kitsune Would have to be animated due to the SFX budgets and would have to be done in an anime style as an import from the old Eastern Isles of Nihon. The rating in America would be in the TV-PG range for violence and some language, as well as suggestive content. (This is all assuming an actual translation instead of the rape that's been done to Sailor Moon, Kyatto Ninden Teyande, Naruto, and Tokyo Mew Mew.) Controversy would very much be a likely occurence given that Kitsune's tactics are generally questionable, and let's not get to the kind of costume she'd have (it's not a kimono, since they're awful for fighting in, no matter how good it looks in Inuyasha. She's not totally trampy either. Let's just say "tastefully evocative" and have you think of it.)

Fanboys and fangirls of the world unite! I'm not sure what it would rate, but a player of mine is working on scripting out a music video / opening trailer for his favorite character, The White Lotus (a superpowered martial artist). The music would be Rob Zombie's "Scum Of The Earth" so I'm thinking it would be at least TV-14 and animated. If Fists of the White Lotus wasn't taken, I would suggest that...maybe Heroic Fists of the White Lotus would work...

Matt "Took-him-a-year-to-catch-on-that-my-suggestion-for-his-character's-name-was-a-joke-based-on-that-Shaw-Brothers-movie" Frisbee

Hell's Angel would have to be a feature film. A woman with huge angel-like wings who bursts into flame like the Human Torch is simply too expensive an effect for a weekly tv series. Probably rated R for language and gratuitous cheesecake (if you're gonna cast a gorgeous actress to play a superhumanly beautiful superheroine, the audience is gonna expect some TnA).

Black Mask The Matrix (different rationale for the powers, but the effect is similar) on a weekly sci-fi series budget with lots of kung fu action.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Truman Golighty/Zero is too paranoid and shy to make a good character.

Vitus, on the other hand... Given Vitus's recently published autobiography and complete ignorance of such things as "Protection of Likeness" and copyright laws, would soon be the subject of a cheaply animated fantasy cartoon series set on his home planet. Indeed, the Storm Lord, an actual colleague, would probably have something to do with it as part of his ongoing economic revenge against Vitus, for the Eurostar incident.

I suspect it would have the same production standards and maturity of plot of, say, He-Man.

Very likely Vitus wouldn't find out about it for months, either. (He dropped his last TV on a mugger's head, from 7 stories up) When he did find out, he'd actually feel quite flattered that someone evidently feels that his life is worth preserving in "Visual Epic Poem" form.

Special Agent Trent's series would be live action. Rated at least PG, probably a step further.

The show itself would be an inevitable resemblance to the X-Files, given that Trent works for the FBI. While there would be a respectable amount of CGI super-action, the effects budget will be kept down by the fact that the show will spend a lot of time on Trent's search for a "cure", on his coming to terms with his identity as a super, and with his continuing struggle with the violent anger that his powers have left him with.

While there may be funny moments, this will not be a comedic or light-hearted series, on the whole.

Get Lucky Definately live action, heavy comedy influence. Probably done by Joss Weadon[?]. Lucky would fit into the Buffy style of story, with Xander as the main character, and all the compentent people around him.

The Adventures of Speedfreak Has to be animated, he wouldn't have it any other way. The adventures would be silly, the villans Foxbat-esque, and a heavy influence from The Tick with lines like "When you frolic barefoot in the Park of Evil, you just might step in a big steaming pile of JUSTICE!". The overall theme would be that just because someone can save the world, does not mean he should talk about it.