I can't help it, I'm obsessed, made my own STUNx d6

Flames

I couldn't help myself... I bought a few blank dice at Gen Con from the Chessex booth, and proceeded to make my own STUNx die, with 1x, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x on it.

After affixing the the stickers to the faces on the die, I coated them with clear nail polish, which I hope will provide some longevity.

The rounded corners make the die roll wonderfully across the table, turning end-over end before coming to a stop. The suspense of the STUN Lotto is palpable!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I can't help it, I'm obsessed, made my own STUNx d6

Some of the dice vendors at various cons carry these, called "cheater dice." It seems that for some game systems, having a d6 with no 6 and an extra 1 is popular enough to produce even without a legitimate use.

I couldn't help myself... I bought a few blank dice at Gen Con from the Chessex booth' date=' and proceeded to make my own STUNx die, with 1x, 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, and 5x on it.[/quote']

Last year I made my own too. I took a black die w/ white pips, colored in the pips on the "6", and then drilled a hole in the center of the "6" and painted it white.

I probably spent five times as long doing it as you did and mine looks ten times worse than yours. :(

Great idea and great execution!!! :)

An artist who works in my office suggested using adhesive vinyl for the faces of the die, and next week I might try that, especially since it would be almost certainly a lot more resistant to wear.

If that works out, I might make a batch of them and give them away at cons.

An artist who works in my office suggested using adhesive vinyl for the faces of the die, and next week I might try that, especially since it would be almost certainly a lot more resistant to wear.

If that works out, I might make a batch of them and give them away at cons.

Oh! I so want one!

Oh! I so want one!

Here's a PDF of the layout I did for the dice.

Print it on sticky paper and grab a pair of scissors.

They'll fit on one of those Chessex 3/4" rounded corner blank dice (they call it 22mm). :cool:

I think clear nail polish works pretty well, although it seems to react to the toner in a way that I don't much like. A clear sealing spray might work better.

Here's a PDF of the layout I did for the dice.

Print it on sticky paper and grab a pair of scissors.

They'll fit on one of those Chessex 3/4" rounded corner blank dice (they call it 22mm). :cool:

I think clear nail polish works pretty well, although it seems to react to the toner in a way that I don't much like. A clear sealing spray might work better.

Nice! Since you're giving away the PDF for free, perhaps you should contact Hero Games's Webmaster, Ben Seeman, to offer it for the "Free Stuff" section of the website.

Some of the dice vendors at various cons carry these' date=' called "cheater dice." It seems that for some game systems, having a d6 with no 6 and an extra 1 is popular enough to produce even without a [i']legitimate[/i] use.

If you are familiar with Character Builder dice they make for really good STUN multipliers.

If you are familiar with Character Builder dice they make for really good STUN multipliers.

These things roll terribly and are easy to spot. They flop around like a weeble-wobble.

On another note, my group of players produced these at the game as strictly a joke to see how quickly I would catch on. Had they tried to actually pass these off as playing dice, I'm certain their character's would've met an untimely demise in a most horriffic manner. :eg:

Come on... it's a game! Who really needs to cheat?? :confused:

I actually had three sets of d6 cheater dice and a set of the d10 cheater dice. The come in sets of three - one with two 1's and no 6's (or 10's in the case of the d10), one normal, and one with two 6's and no 1's. That way, if challenged, you could hand up the "normal" set.

No, I didn't buy them. We confiscated them from the offending player, who'd been busted once, and then pulled them out again when she thought it had blown over. I think we threw them out - wish I'd thought of them as stun dice before then.

They sell sets of the dice McCoy linked to at a few of my FLGSs. I've been thinking of picking up a set, but the only one's I'd really be interested in are the low rolling d6's. I have no use for the others. I've asked if my FLGS could just sell me those dice separate, but alas, they will only sell them as a set.

Your STUNx die looks cool though Flames. I just might go that route.

About those Character Builder dice, I was thinking that if I were running a one-shot Champions game at a con, I'd buy a set of those and secretly use them to roll the attack rolls for the villains on the first couple of phases of combat, just so the villains would all miss and the PCs would get to at least get off a few attacks before having to seriously contend with the possibility of taking damage.

After all, one of the most frustrating things that can happen, especially in a convention game, is to get clobbered and knocked out in the first or second round of combat.

About those Character Builder dice, I was thinking that if I were running a one-shot Champions game at a con, I'd buy a set of those and secretly use them to roll the attack rolls for the villains on the first couple of phases of combat, just so the villains would all miss and the PCs would get to at least get off a few attacks before having to seriously contend with the possibility of taking damage.

After all, one of the most frustrating things that can happen, especially in a convention game, is to get clobbered and knocked out in the first or second round of combat.

I've considered doing a similar thing at cons, but more in the opposite direction. During the first Turn or so, I'd fudge the villain's rolls so they are more likely to hit, then fudge the rolls so they are less likely to hit later on. I feel this better simulates the flow of combat as represented in the source material. In the first fight, or the beginning of a fight, the villains tend to have the upper hand, but eventually the heroes adapt and overcome them. With a good group of tactically minded players, this happens all by itself. It's even easier for a group I regularly run games for because I know how they think. I can't rely on either at a con though, so fudging the dice is an easier method.

I've never considered using the character building dice for that. Doing so would allow me to use all of the d6's in the set which would be great. Thanks for the idea!

• 2 months later...

Flames' date=' you should have an administrator change your name to Jim in Buffalo. It would be less confusing for me, personally.[/quote']

Funny you should bring that up... my ID here at the HERO boards predates the whole "Jim in Buffalo" thing, and I've wondered if I should just scrap my "Flames" ID (which is based on a friend of mine here in Buffalo who used to call me "Flames" because it rhymes with James) and start over with my more recognizable name.