Is anything in the system correctly priced?

Killer Shrike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Is anything in the system correctly priced?

nothing is correctly priced.

everything is correctly priced.

some are, some aren't.

Which is true... all depends on the Gm and his campaign.

Do the challenges he presents for his players' characters to overcomne make it turn out that the costs he charged were indeed related directly to the value and benefit in play? That determines which of the above is true for his campaign at that point in time.

If you say "12d6 Eb lightning is worth the same as 12d6 Eb fire" then watch the vulnerabilities, susceptabilities and circumsdtantial impacts to see that you make the two even out.

Sure, it might happen by accident, but most likely, if it happens often enough to count, its not an accident.

I contend that +1 All PER at 3 points is "just right".

I'm not sure of much in life, but I consider that a touchstone, or if you will, a bulwark of certainty against the cold hard anarchy that is daily existance.

Does anyone else cling to this pricing as a crucial anchor of reality, or am I alone in thinking it's price matches its worth?

No. Nothing in Hero is costed exactly the way it should be in relation to everything else in the system. You can always find something that's off in relation to at least one other component. But as an organic whole it works. If, however, you start trying to "fix" the entire cost structure, rather than tinkering with one or two small things that irk you in order to "salt to taste," the whole beautifully constructed house of cards comes tumbling down.

I'm not sure of much in life, but I consider that a touchstone, or if you will, a bulwark of certainty against the cold hard anarchy that is daily existance.

Does anyone else cling to this pricing as a crucial anchor of reality, or am I alone in thinking it's price matches its worth?

I don't consider the original question a crucial element in defining my world. Its just a game, and it normally works pretty well, and it's fun. I don't get the "must conduct a full autopsy on the system while its still breathing" sentiment either. Sometimes when you scratch at a trivial wound you make it worse, or it gets infected. But to each his own. Some people sit around thinking about how to change the game, and others just build stuff with it and play. All of us have tinkered with it at least a little bit - even if the frequency of posts that take up this theme, and the pitch its been taken to of late, is symptomatic of sytem-hypochondria or obsessive-copulsive-tinkering disorder. But then there is your touch stone: why does it cost me more to purchase +1 with two sense groups than it does with +1 with all sense groups? Answer me that smarty-pants? Well? Huh? :sneaky:

When people get tired or arguing about the few things in Hero that're overpriced they can always come over to the Atomic Think Tank and argue about the few things overpriced in M&M. At least you'll get some diversity. :)

By nature I'm not much of a rules' tinkerer. I want to be able to use the rules to reflect a genre but I don't really care if strength should be 1 point or 2, or if certain powers give too much benefit based on cost. Maybe it's because I'm used to playing a more flexible* system now that I've come to the conclusion that 5-10 points adjusted for [to hit some target number] is not as important as it used to be.

Edited to add: *= flexible in that it's not as constrained by hard rules

Energy Blast.

If anything is priced right, it has to be Energy Blast. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

Um...

Everyman skills are priced right! :yes:

While I was going to remark that if anything is prices incorrectly, then Energy Blast must be called into question. Everything in Hero is affected by anything else. So all pricing is subject to being incorrect.

However, Alcamtar has pointed out one thing that cannot fail to be priced right: the free stuff. Something that everyone has, or has access to should never have a cost so the the cost of 0 cannot fail to be correct.

+5 INT Only for PER Rolls for 3 pts!? Oh hell no. "Only for PER Rolls" is at least a -3/4 disadvantage, maybe even -1 1/4.

I think no game system is perfect.

I think that whether something is overpriced or underpriced depends a great deal on the game in question and the style of the GM and the players.

I think if you ever did try to 'perfectly balance' the point expenditures of the HERO System, you'd wind up with wonderful measurements like '6pts per die of Energy Blast' or '11.2pts per point of SPD'. Doing things in 5s or 10s, or the occassional 15, makes things easier, and sometimes doing things simply is preferential to making them balanced and/or realistic.

+5 INT Only for PER Rolls for 3 pts!? Oh hell no. "Only for PER Rolls" is at least a -3/4 disadvantage' date=' maybe even -1 1/4.[/quote']

I dunno. Perception is one of the only uses for Intelligence. Maybe if you're in a very skill heavy genre where science skills get used a lot, then sure.... but I think for most action-y games, perception rolls are made far more often than intelligence rolls. I think -1/2 is pretty generous, given that I roll perception checks far more than 2 for 1 against other intelligence checks.

I don't know what is priced right. You could really pick anything and go from there. I probably wouldn't pick hand to hand attack though ;)

-Nate

SIDEKICK??

Different things become more or less adventageous depending on the game and genre you are in, so at times all things may be priced incorrectly. It would be neat if their was a cost meter that could be dialed in for the genre and campaign but instead we are forced to accept certain limitations. We grouse about those limits when they begin impacting the game.

Some things tend to be a recurrent theme in certain genres like, for example, strength in fantasy games. It is outrageous that even the bard has a 15 STR but who can blame them?

I find that the more I use the Hero System, the less important the point costs are - instead, I look at 'does this create the *effect* that I want?'.

On topic: Damage Shields are priced correctly. :drink:

Yes, I agree the points are not that important [though I don't think that's just limited to Hero]. I think one of the flaws of using the game is the belief that some have that every aspect of it must be balanced with every other aspect of it. Everything doesn't need to be balanced against itself for the game to work. The game is not supposed to be an "omni" game with 1 skill, 1 power, 1 characteristic and a bunch of advantages and limitations to tweak each of those things into other skills, powers, and characteristics so that everything is balanced with itself.

Sometimes it seems like people have been munchkining points for so long that the process of munckining is the only aspect that matters any more [and I think a lot of that stems from the fact that more people build characters then actually play them].

LMAO, this is THE thread. A great deal of all threads in this forum is like "I think blahblha is overpriced". But is that realy that important?

And how usefull a power/skill/perk/w-ever depends wery much on who player are (especially the GM) and how they use the rules, and certain combination of power tends to be more effective than others. In general I think that most things in hero system is priced just right.