(best ever...) reasons for becoming a superhero

Adventus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: (best ever...) reasons for becoming a superhero

The Demoness had a good motivation. Her grandfather arranged things so that she was born at a propititous time and he also enchanted her to be able to use magic. Her parents fled with her when they discovered what was intended. And they stayed on the run for years before the parents were caught and killed during a satannic orgy. The Demoness (who did not have that name at the time) was then looked after by the Magician as a mentor and the Protectors (Britih version) as a new family. When the team went off to fight the Destroyer who was out to destroy all life, the Demoness tried to reach the Magician's mentor but was caught by the Pentacle the campaign's magical nasties.

They took her soul and bonded it with a demon's creating two half human and half demon souls, one in a human body the other in the demon's body. The demon's body died. The soul went to Hell. As will the other soul went the human body dies. The Demoness knows this. It's part of what the Pentacle did to try and destroy her spirit and tempt her over as her command of magic would grow. She can see a spell and then cast it. *

The Pentacle also did it to ensure she never became the Arch Mage of the dimension because someone evil can't get the job.

The Demoness knows when she dies she goes to Hell. So she fights on the side of the angels because she knows what awaits her and she ain't giving up without a fight.

The team also know as she told them.

* I know Ed Greenwood did this with the Symbul in the Forgotten Realms. My idea came independent of his.

With great power comes great responsibility!

That's it. There is no better reason, and all the lesser ones are variations and riffs on this.

There are as many reasons to be a villian as their are villians. There is only the one reason to be a hero.

If not me, then who?

So that I can atone for all the evil my family has done.

Because it's the last thing she asked me to do before she died.

Family tradition. The legacy of the mask will never die.

They took everything from me. So now I get to return the favor.

The superheroines are hottties

They sure are. BTW, who's that gal on the end supposed to be, anyway? Tigra?

Oh, and for my reason:

"Because if I help people in trouble and it's know that I do this, then when I walk down the street people won't scream, hide their kids, and grab some torches and pitchforks. Life ain't easy when you're a monster."

Five great reasons to Be A Hero:

5. Because I can! (I figure the villains use this one all the time, why not us heroes, too?)

4. "Well, it's partly the curiosity, partly a sense of adventure, but mostly I think it's the fame and the money ..."

3. To make the world a better place.

2. To be in the company of other heroes.

1. "Because I choose to."

• 3 months later...

A bit of threadcromancy, since the reasons *not* to be one are getting ballyhooed about....

"You don't need a *good* reason. All you need is a reason worth dying for... and I think I've found one, thanks to you." Prometheus, formerly known as Titan, speaking with a group of young superheroes fighting against the Lupine Federation shortly before flying into space to take on the flagship.

Because evil is banal and humourless, except delighting in the suffering of others. Look at the lineup at Nuremburg...it's where the banality of evil was presented in the flesh to the entire world.

Anyone can be evil. Think of all the stupid criminals on Earth. Being good requires more thought, more application, more skill, because it's harder to do. It brings great satisfaction, especially when you bring evil to heel.

Because evil is banal and humourless, except delighting in the suffering of others. Look at the lineup at Nuremburg...it's where the banality of evil was presented in the flesh to the entire world.

Anyone can be evil. Think of all the stupid criminals on Earth. Being good requires more thought, more application, more skill, because it's harder to do. It brings great satisfaction, especially when you bring evil to heel.

You know, I could see Doctor Doom being swayed by this arguement. But him as a good guy, is still scary.