What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

Interesting. We have been doing marathons' date=' but haven't hit HL yet (we want a copy of [i']Source [/i]just for completeness sake). Do you intend to watch Raven as well? For that matter, did you like any of the proposed spin offs that they ran in season 7?
The Raven is the seventh season. Season six was the try-outs.

Only thing I'm missing Highlander-wise is a good copy of II (there isn't one) and the animated series.

Bought a copy of The Source and ended up with a bad case of "WTF were they thinking?"

I liked the characters of Alex Raven and Reagan Cole. Claudia Christian is good in anything she does.

Reefer Madness: Let this be a lesson as how not to make a propaganda movie. However, I did learn that marijuana is more dangerous than opium, heroin and cocaine, and that it leads to uncontrollable violence and frequently permanent insanity. I mean, the movie said this, so it must be true, right?

Reefer Madness: Let this be a lesson as how not to make a propaganda movie. However' date=' I did learn that marijuana is more dangerous than opium, heroin and cocaine, and that it leads to uncontrollable violence and frequently permanent insanity. I mean, the movie said this, so it must be true, right?[/quote']

Did you watch the original propaganda movie, or the musical that's based on it? The latter is a lot of fun.

There's some great classic SF there' date=' not to mention various spaghetti westerns (including [i']Once Upon A Time in the West[/i]!).

I own the two-disc set for that :)

(And yes, I think it's better than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

Generation Kill

Seen the first two episodes. Reminds me a bit of Full Metal Jacket, better than Band of Brothers. I can only hope the series doesn't end up trying to send a political message one way or the other by the end.

So last night I got back to my hotel and collapsed on the sofa due to my cold worsening from traveling across the country. I had turned on the TV and stopped on History (I think, could have been discovery) and their show "Monsterquest" in which they try to find the truth out about folklore creatures. First up was the Black Beast of Exmoor, however I feel asleep before their conclusion and woke up for the episode on Chupacabra. The Chupacabra episode was bizarre, they switched from scientist doing DNA analysis and electron microscope scans on the hair of supposed Chupacabra, to the two biggest idiots ever trying to catch the creature on video. For an example, they setup motion sensor cameras and baited several areas, even put up a live trap. They waited for nightfall and then decided to...go out and see if anything was near the bait. Use nightvision? No, that's too expensive, we have highpowered flashlights. They tromped through the woods, talked to each other and the camera in normal voices, and then were surprised they didn't see anything. Back to the scientists, mitochondrial DNA shows the mother was a coyote, while Y-chromosome DNA shows the father was a wolf. The show would have been much better if they had used professionals in every position, especially trying to capture the creature on video at night.

The show would have been much better if they had used professionals in every position' date=' especially trying to capture the creature on video at night.[/quote']

Every episode is pretty much like that. Lots on science in the lab, but nothing but idiotic clods in the field. Even if these things don't exist (and that's how I'd bet), they deserve better than being "hunted" by those guys.

Saw Hellboy II on Tuesday night, and then Batman: The Dark Knight on Wednesday night. While I enjoyed both movies, the one that really stays with you is the Dark Knight. It was an absolutely riveting movie, with unforgettable performances.

JoeG

All the expected geek summer movie fare (except Dark Knight -- just haven't had a chance yet).

On TV: the Avatar series-ending run of episodes, which were great, and the new Burn Notice episodes on USA, which are also great.

The Lion King.

first time I saw it. Being a rental it skipped in places but was able to rewind to see the frames at least, just not the audio. I'd give it about 3.5 out of 5. It was ok, not great.

X-Files: I Want to Believe. Wow. Admittedly, I've only watched up to the 6th season so far, but am progressing through pretty quickly.

Okay, what the hell? That was just a normal episode stretched over 2 hours taking place long after the rest of the series. I really, really wish they had made an actually important episode, instead of some random adventure long after the majority of theirs.

And the scene after the credits? So lame.

Cocaine Fiends (1935):

Although not as ridiculous as the later Reefer Madness, it's also not amusingly bad, just boring. The physical quality of the version I saw was pretty bad, too. Perhaps the most incomprehensible part of the movie was the happy ending for two minor characters who were introduced well into the movie.