Storn Art From Idea to Full Picture Year 4

death tribble

Re: Storn Art From Idea to Full Picture Year 4

The USM Corpse fought in Vietnam and got fed up with the M16 and so switched to what the enemy were using the AK47. It was more reliable. He continues to use it to this day.
Well, that's just silly considering the problems with the M-16 were fixed relatively quickly (and during the Vietnam War). If he were "fed up" with the M-16, he should have become fed up with the AK-47 as well. I mean, there is a reason you can buy an AK-47 on the black market starting around $5. YMMV.

(Though, if it's just a roleplaying schtick, sure; it's just not a logical one.)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a gadgeteer whose stuff is only moderately high-tech? Or who uses low-tech gadgets in creative ways? The gadgets could even be limited to things that are available commercially, or easily fabricated and built, in the real world. ("It's not the technological level that matters, it's what you do with it!")

His name is BLOX. His powers manifest as the colorful familiar children's toy known as Legos. He can create a suit of blocks armor that doesn't cover the joints but due to the bulkiness of the blocks still protects rather well. He can also create block walls to protect those behind it yet it hinders vision, and can also create a few block attacks such as a block ram, or a block ball that "explodes" on contact sending blocks everywhere. He can also create a block cell to hold enemies. He can also build block "hover boards" that allow him to fly.

OR instead of armor he creates a block field. There are hundreds of blocks that float and orbit around him deflecting attacks by suddenly coming together to form a sort of spot armor right at the last minute.

Metalminia - Goth Magnetic superheroine (think 'Abby' from NCIS tv show). Large portion of "costume" is metalic in some way (chainmail, studded leather, etc..) so it can be used with her powers in a pinch. Her "Force Field" is literally orbiting bits of metal. As well as sending huge chunks of metal (former cars, lightpoles etc.) at opponents she also can use her powers to form a magnetically enhanced 'club' or 'sword' for HTH combat.

Golden Gauntlet - 'Green Lantern' knockoff with large golden glove that goes nearly to the elbow. Oversized 'Glove' is imobile when worn (wearer's hand movements assist with control of TK). Can be used as a club weapon when out of energy as last resort. Can transform to watch/writstband when not in "battle-mode" for secret id.

Mega-Mistress - Like Kirby's previous 'Marvel Girl' knockoff but with limited energy manipulation multipower that can be used for Flight, enhanced strength (Succor + HA), toughness (FF) and even force blasts from her eyes.

great thread(s) btw DT!

As a person who just decorates pre-drawn body traces for most of my heroes (which are not nearly as good as Storn's stuff, but they suffice for the artistically challenged), I would put in for a character that is humanoid but does not have a typical physique. My suggestion:

Shard: A guy whose body is the center of a dimensional fracture, making him resemble a person constructed of shattered stained glass loosely held together by some force field so that they appear to be floating in transparent jelly. He is very hard to hurt since the pieces just move aside when hit by most attacks. Shard himself attacks by punching (AP HTH or HKA) or throwing bits of himself (AP EB or RKA) which teleport back to place after the attack. He moves by exploding into a thousand pieces and reconstituting himself someplace else (T-port).

I made this guy for a campaign once but never had a satisfactory picture of him.

Well, that's just silly considering the problems with the M-16 were fixed relatively quickly (and during the Vietnam War). If he were "fed up" with the M-16, he should have become fed up with the AK-47 as well. I mean, there is a reason you can buy an AK-47 on the black market starting around $5. YMMV.

(Though, if it's just a roleplaying schtick, sure; it's just not a logical one.)

Introducing logic into roleplaying kills a catgirl. Won't you please think of the catgirls ?

USM Corpse is dead and the dead have their own way of doing things. And the fact the AK47 has 10 more bullets in a standard clip is by the by.

Introducing logic into roleplaying kills a catgirl. Won't you please think of the catgirls ?
I don't know if my wife will like it, but I'll think of the catgirls. ;)

USM Corpse is dead and the dead have their own way of doing things. And the fact the AK47 has 10 more bullets in a standard clip is by the by.
:confused: The AK-47 has a 40 round clip now? That's news to me. (The M-16A2 uses 30 round clips. At least mine did when I was in the Army.)

To keep on topic:

Homewrecker: A female brick who thinks she's "all that." (Bulldozer's ideal woman - she's his ideal man.) She's a female wrestler herself. Not quite as strong as Bulldozer, but she's got stretching!

Gun Bunny. Oh, yes, I mean that.

The Toon. In a world full of normals, somehow he's a Toon - think Roger Rabbit. Damage Reduction (flexible body), Regeneration, always on, from death (Only ever "dead" for two minutes), Flight (Only when not looking down), Summon Anvil...

Techno Mage. Uses advanced technology to mimic the effects of magic. They always look cool. I suspect a Storn Techno Mage would look cool squared.

Mage Tech. Uses advanced magic to mimic the effects of technology. Nobody's quite sure why.

R/C. Fights Crime using a bewildering array of radio-controlled cars, airplanes, and helicopters.

The Pensioner. A frail old man, dressed in traditional hero spandex. So irritating when the radioactive meteor only gives you powers when you're already over retirement age...

Gun Bunny. Oh, yes, I mean that.

The Toon. In a world full of normals, somehow he's a Toon - think Roger Rabbit. Damage Reduction (flexible body), Regeneration, always on, from death (Only ever "dead" for two minutes), Flight (Only when not looking down), Summon Anvil...

Shouldn't Keyes Bill be the one to offer this up? ;)

i think this quote from the wiki page telemachus linked sums up why a zombie might like an AK

"One of the bulldozers uncovered the decomposing body of an enemy soldier, complete with AK-47. I happened to be standing right there, looking down into the hole and pulled the AK out of the bog. "Watch this, guys," I said, "and I'll show you how a real infantry weapon works." I pulled the bolt back and fired 30 rounds — the AK could have been cleaned that day rather than buried in glug for a year or so.

i think this quote from the wiki page telemachus linked sums up why a zombie might like an AK

Now that would make sense.

And then all the other guys fell down dead... :shock: "I guess we'll have to work on that accuracy thing though." ;)
:lol:

A good friend of mine was a Lrrp. Half carried Ak-47s because when they ambushed the enemy, it would confuse them. The sound of the M-16 and Ak was very different.

Sound was very important, because these guys were definitely in the deep jungle doing recon. Sometimes visibility was only 10 feet.

The AK-47 has a 40 round clip now? That's news to me. (The M-16A2 uses 30 round clips. At least mine did when I was in the Army.)

The 30 round clip came to the m-16 very, very late in the Viet Nam war. before that it was a 20 round clip. The Ak is a 30 round clip. That accounts for the 10 bullet difference. But the 20 round clip wasn't exactly useless. Marines and Army could hump quite a few more rounds, not only due to the lighter weight of each individual 5.56 compared to the 7.62R round.... but the 20 round clip was *porportionally* lighter than the AK's clip. In a long firefight, those extra clips and rounds can keep save some asses.

Techno Mage. Uses advanced technology to mimic the effects of magic. They always look cool. I suspect a Storn Techno Mage would look cool squared.

I've done this one. He was called Demagogue by the patron. RDU Neil used him in our game and called him Techno Mage. But in any case, I've done it. Doesn't mean I can't come up with another variation...

DemagogueloRes.jpg

I've done this one. He was called Demagogue by the patron. RDU Neil used him in our game and called him Techno Mage. But in any case, I've done it. Doesn't mean I can't come up with another variation...

DemagogueloRes.jpg

Well, on the plus side, I think my "cool squared" theory has been proven... :)

A good friend of mine was a Lrrp. Half carried Ak-47s because when they ambushed the enemy' date=' it would confuse them. The sound of the M-16 and Ak was very different.[/quote']Yes, I know this. It's like why some Spec. Warfare units (such as SEALs) will not carry any US weapons on special missions - no traces to lead back to the US. However, that wasn't the point talked about. Superheroes tend to be "themed" characters. A Marine theme would generally carry oh, say, Marine equipment. (Maybe even M-1s or what followed from them.)

The 30 round clip came to the m-16 very' date=' very late in the Viet Nam war. before that it was a 20 round clip.[/quote']Again, I know this. Having been in the Army, I actually initially trained on the M-16A1 with the 20 round clip in OSUT. Once it was time to qualify, we switched to the M-16A2 and 30 round clip and stayed with that through the rest of OSUT and when I was assigned to the 25th ID(L) I used the 30 round clip. The basic point being the 30 round clip has been in use much longer than the 20 round and using an AK simply for a 30 round clip (+10) didn't make much sense unless there had been a 40 round clip that had come out.

Freakboy at least had a good point to make with a zombie-themed Marine.

Yeah, I remember from back in De-Nang... er... wait, that wasn't me, that was the other liar at work... =) I wasn't even an idea in my father's head until after. hehehe.

Anyway, on to the ideas!

Though this is a bit Star Hero, it could fit in with some games... I was thinking about alternate forms of coming to some of the same conclusions, The Jedi having their religion, and another group realizing the same tenets but applying them differently... So I came up with a society that prized its warriors that acted as Defenders of the Realm of a sort. Rather than a weapons tradition, they formed a tradition of mostly protection and a certain machismo about their fighting. Prizing hand to hand combat and the discipline of the mind and body, but to adapt to modern advances and weaponry, discovering the intracacies of the force, etc. etc., they developed force field generating bracers that allowed them to deflect/reflect enemy fire (armor and missile deflection) and protect their charges (force field w/ carried item advantage and force wall) or to bypass the firepower and engage in melee. In essence, its a combination of a martial artist, a jedi, and those cool droids with the force shields that roll around... =) Visually, I'm not really sure how this would come about, varying ideas abound, but I do like the whole baggy pants with tightened calve section (via bindings, armor pieces, whatever), and those belts about the mid-section with multiple straps that cover a large section. Doing the bald monk look could work, perhaps changing for certain idiosyncracies of race and what-not be it human or alien. =)

A techno-girl with a slight exo-skeleton and tight body armor with bracers that extrude carbon-fiber tentacles and swinglines. She's primarily a geek, able to use personal computing technology for hacker skills via a display in her visor that allows her to manipulate graphical representations that seem to float in the air to her. Think Minority Report interface in the air. =)

A Catholic Priest from... oh, that order that looks into miracles and other archaic studies and all that, the mystical ones often referred to in movies... well, whatever that's called. He's an immortal from the cowboy times of the USA, become a catholic priest. This is more Dark Champions, I know, but anyway... he studies the occult and the magical, kind of an Indiana Jones sort of character in the sense of study and his attitude towards getting to his goals. He carries Methuselah, his very overlarge revolver in the Hellboy movie tradition with its muzzle break that forms a cross from the flash (yes, I know this wouldn't actually work as an actual muzzle break) from the venting, and the extractor star is the form of a stylized cross as well since it only holds four over-large rounds.

These are all based around characters I have, but it goes without saying that I like them, thus why I present them for ideas.=)

I've always also liked the idea behind the mega-blaster type characters with little in the way of other powers. Havok comes to mind in particular, but I'd love to see a different rendition of a different sort of fellow. Perhaps an big asian guy, for once, without the usual cues... no pocket protectors and glasses, for example, or big buck teeth. =) I've always liked the whole leather jacket and finger gloves look, long wild hair, and big boots. I know that's not particularly original, I just like it is all. hehe.

Or... considering there was a request, i think, for an animal type... how about a guy integrated with a fox motif? A trickster, perhaps obsessed with swirling patterns like in Uzumaki (sp? Hope i got the word right...). His whole schtick being about the pattern and confusion amongst his foes. Perhaps a guy with illusions or probability manipulation of some sort.

And, for the fun of it, how about a Monkey with Nunchuks? Two greatly amusing things in one package! Yay!

A Monkey Pirate with Nunchucks?

OR, how about...

Wait, wait, don't tell me:

A) A monkey pirate with a bird on his back

B) Spider Monkey (BBB) in a ninja outfit; ninja-to held by the tail with a shuriken in each hand.

C) A pirate and on his back is a Monkey Pirate with Nunchucks

Okay, my silly ideas are out. :celebrate

A different take on the Confessor from Astro City would be interesting to see what Storn could do with the idea. For those that don't know, Confessor was a vampire who wore what was essentially a ninja outfit with a cape and an emblazoned shining cross on the front.

A different take on the Confessor from Astro City would be interesting to see what Storn could do with the idea. For those that don't know' date=' Confessor was a vampire who wore what was essentially a ninja outfit with a cape and an emblazoned shining cross on the front.[/quote']

Wow, an actual vampire ninja... what's the ooint of the ninja thing with the flashlight on his chest? :D

How about an Alchemically based archer? Y'know, magical formulas and stuff.

Or... a cherubic lady of fire? Angelic theme in flames, a young lady with some of that blue fire like in Hellboy.

I have a thing for some of the imagery in that movie, even if not so much the story.

Wow' date=' an actual vampire ninja... what's the [point'] of the ninja thing with the flashlight on his chest? :D
I think he's also a priest, but I may be confusing that with another character. Sadly, it's been a long time since I've read any Astro-City material, and much longer since I read on the Confessor (or whomever I'm thinking about).