Storn Art From Idea to Full Picture Year 4

death tribble

Well as several people have made the request. Note the rules changes those that have seen this before.

Those of you who are regular frequenters of the board will recall that for the last three years I have run threads about getting a character commissioned and drawn by Storn. The first year we did this we also had the prelim drawings.

The first winner was the pic called Cyanide, 2nd winner Sadhana an Asian Indian mystic and last year was Enforcer84's ice brick Glacier. Due to the hacking of Storn's website we can't see these but if there are requests I will try and relink them myself. They are still in Styorn's thread.

I will commission a new piece of art from Storn for probably May and we have until then to come up with ideas for him to do. I have revised the rules from the past three years.

First off people are allowed to contribute ideas BUT there is a snag.

As I am the one paying for it I have to approve it. And Storn has to be willing to draw it. Part of the idea is to challenge the artist with something he hasn't done before or not done in a while.

So some ground restrictions and rules.

(1) The picture has to be for Champions. It is what I play and it is in this forum that the thread is posted.

(2) This year you can have patriots. Although I have British Bulldog on the waiting list and United States Marine Corpse, I am allowing this for one reason. For the last two years the thread where I post my own ideas to have a pic done and then allow a vote on it, patriot heroes have won. So I am making sure nothing like that is up for the vote this year. Therefore I am allowing people to post patriot ideas here instead. Bear in mind I will need some convincing to get a patriotic hero or villain done. It may be easier to get a non-US patriot done as this has a great deal of novelty value for not just Storn and I but everyone else as well. I have over 50 American patriotic or quasi patriotic heroes from pics or that Etherio put up previously.

(3) I am also allowing standard gun users this year as an experiment. However as Storn did a lot of these recently and one for me was a Female Vampire wielding two SMGs you will have to do some description to intrigue me and want me to order this.

(4) Beast motifs. The Lioness is in the pipeline as it came in quite high up in the votes last year. Therefore for this thread you will need to be convincing.

(5) No kid heroes/villains. I like the over 18 crowd and proper heroes such as Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman etc. Anyone even suggesting something akin to the Power R*****S will be summarily subject to a dousing with crude oil. And this year we set you alight as well. And then dance around you invoking Mightybec.

(6) It must be something that I would want to use and something that would interest me. If not then no go ahead.

(7) Storn has certain restrictions of his own both because he will be putting the final product on his web site and has his own likes and dislikes. With this we will heed the former and indulge the latter. No Intellectual Property for example so no pics of Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Captain America.

(8) Idea can be of an agent, a normal superhero/villain or a boss/mastermind

(9) If you want Superman, Batman or Green Lantern analogues there has to be some thing about them visually to make Storn and I want to portray it and pay for it. If you don't post an idea, then it can't get done.

(10) Anyone who has had their idea done previously can apply again. There is no prejudice or bias either for or against you.

I'll post my own ideas a little later on. So post your idea, if I like it then we'll proceed.

You may just have a name and we can bash ideas around about it until we get a full picture.

Of course if you don't like this approach you could always ask Storn yourself.

We have all through the months of March and April to post and reject ideas.

But it may take longer. And usually does.

I would say I was a little disappointed at the number of respondents last year. I am grateful for those that did put forward ideas but we could do with some more people putting forward ideas. I will say publicly that the Mutants and Masterminds crowd have also embraced this idea and gave quite a few ideas that are worth looking at. As the Hero crowd predate them surely we can do better ?

(I checked the dates for the previous threads end April, February and May so now is no problem)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Storn Art From Idea to Full Picture Year 4

I'll speak to Storn and give him a bit more money. That should do it.

To give you tasters of what is coming, there is a sonic villain and a sports related already paid for and a Pharoah.

The M+M crowd came up with a hologram character, a person who maifseted samurai armour, battle armour based on magic with greek myth motif,a winged clockwork robot, a bruiser with prison tattooes who has golden eyes that disorient people, a brain eater, Bottom from a Midsummer Night's dream (Jackass head and all), a half man half horse, a robot drone, a Jewish mystic and an Akuma (Japanese demon)

A malfunctioning combat robot that's really into Professional Wrestling. Instead of using its transforming weapons platform for guns, it tends to create folding chairs. On occasion it will use its camouflage module to develop black-and-white stripes and punish "rules breakers".

Some kind of plant-based super. By which I mean, actually made of plants.

Similarly, an animated collection of street trash, like a Shadowrun Spirit of Man.

I also thought that something made of computer peripherals and electronics, but the temptation to call it "PC" would be too much :)

A modern day goth that instead of wearing piercings and spikes actually extrudes them from the body and can shoot them like a porcupine. I think a female would be preferred complete with the fishnets, doc martins, spiky colored hair and dark makeup. The spikes can come from anywhere and thus she can change them up with the wardrobe she happens to be wearing that day. As well as have them come out of everywhere forming a spiky armor/damage shield.

I don't have a good name though, as Spike is just too predictable.

Some kind of plant-based super. By which I mean, actually made of plants.

Adding to that, since Patriots are being considered again, why not that with the Canadian Maple leaf on it somewhere, perhaps a wooden man or woman who has either painted the symbol onto their wooden flesh, or even etched it.

Here are a few. Some may be too bleh, but here they are anyway:

Nightingale: Superpowered nurse, ninteenth century blended with modern motif. She uses an air pressurized injector similar to the one used to give vaccinations to deliver a wide variety of interesting substances, both harmful and helpful. She should be better-looking than the original =).

The Chiropractor: Where do bricks go when they throw their backs out after falling off a skyscraper or stopping an asteroid's collision course with the earth? There's only one guy strong enough to get the job done... The Chiropractor. Unfortunately, he has a sort of Jeckyl and Hyde personality, so sometimes, the spines just come right out....

Dark Matter: This guy knows where all of that unaccounted for mass in the universe has gone. With the ability to channel and internalize "dark matter," our hero can create force fields, platonic solids, and even become super dense himself. With his force field up, he's totally black, though he tends to "leak" bits of matter (think Kirby dots, though, uh not Kirby dots b/c they're just representing positive space.)

Star: A robust, cosmically-powered energy projector. Her uniform is a sleeveless unitard with a large silver/white star in the center of the chest. With her powers activated, the black takes on the appearance of a starfield and the chest embelm pulses with silvery energy.

A Gadgeteer/MA on a budget. Using parts either easily fabricated in a small machine shop (his garage) or modified off the shelf. His helmet is a cast off fighter pilot's helmet, rewired and integrated with a parabolic mic and infrared sight system. His armor is a combination of kevelar and titanium plates sewn in to reinforce key areas (torso, joints, high collar to protect spine/neck, toes, knuckles, and back of hands). His swingline system is based on the mittens tied together with a string through your coat sleaves principle. His back has a housing for a flywheel system, and each forearm mounts a pneumatic grapple-line launcher. When he releases with one hand, the next shot of line is reeled in and fed to his second hand. Unfortunately, the system can get tangled sometimes, and needs to be reeled in by hand. His vest has a number of canister type grenades of various types, all home-made using differnt types of tin (aluminum nowdays) cans, such as Campbell's soup, etc. His belt holds a largish pouch of tools on one side, including a balpeen hammer visible on the outside of the pouch. His weapon of choice (aside from armored fists and feet) is a bolo gun. The bolo gun consists of four tubes about the same size as tennis balls, around a central post which feeds the line between the bolos. After two bolos are fired, two more are advanced, and so on.

A jar in a brain. Bulky brickish-looking guy with an exposed brain, in which is embedded a jar. Although he's drooling, it's obvious that he has both vast physical and psychic power.

Pick any of the psychadelic visions of angels or beasts from Revelations and do a literal interpretation of it.

UNITL Agents and Supers Agents. I have never liked the armor designs for the offical ones, but liked Storn's commisioned ones. What I would like to see is UNTIL Agents and Supers Agents with more Realism in their Uniforms and Weapons. There is no reason UNITL's Arsenal would not inclued Small Arms with Special Ammo.

Also I would like to shoulder patches on their arms indicating which country they represent as well.

Just my 2 Cents... more later

QM

Waltzing Matilda -- humanoid lady kangaroo.

Matilda is a heroic Australian Martial Artist: Pugilist...yes, she's a boxing kangaroo! She's the wide-ranging defender of the Outback, complete with bright red boxing gloves on the paws of her front legs (or perhaps on her massive muscular tail or on her powerful back legs instead).

She wears a dark blue vest with the Australian flag on it; small Union Jack in the upper left field and five stars of the Southern Cross in the middle. She does NOT wear a bush hat; that's just too clichéd for an Aussie. On her head, Matilda wears an old-fashioned sports helmet, like the ones worn by Australian rugby players in the early 1900s. Her immense rabbit-like ears stick up from underneath it.

She carries a copy of the Queensberry rules of boxing (and revised rules of the London Prize Ring) in her pouch for ease of reference.

NB: In a fight, an actual roo would brace itself on its tail and rear back to deliver devastating kicks with its hind legs. The front legs aren't really used for roo combat, just for grooming/minor manipulation and support when the animal is moving on all fours.

(2) This year you can have patriots. Although I have British Bulldog on the waiting list and United States Marine Corpse....

US Marine Corpse? Is this a dead/undead character? Or did you mean Corps?

(Corps = body of people; Corpse = dead body)

I must admit I don't pay too much attention to the art threads simply because there tend to be so many posts (100+), so I'm not familiar with Storn's style(s) overall (though, I know it's good).

While not really a challenge, a character concept would be a brunette female (brick) who wears an outfit similar to DC's Captain Marvel. The differences: There's no lightning bolt; she's a double D, but the costume is not skintight at all.

The fact that she's my PC Juggernaut in a campaign I'm playing is totally 100% coincidence.

Did I say 100%? I'm sorry, I meant 1.00%.

:D

Here's one I just thought up now.

Gilded Lilly: Dressed head to toe in a 1920's era gold gown and jewelry, complete with a wrap around the sides, back and top of her head, through which her golden rivulets of hair cascade, she is the very picture of 1920's hollywood glamour. Her face is concelaed behind a simple gold mask on a stick which she holds up before her... to conceal the mumified near skeletal face beneath.

She's 1920's Movie Star Lilly Grace, who sought out the best people to have herself mummified so she could remain beautiful forever after death. It may have been her attitude that caused these experts to curse her with eternal life without the beauty she coveted so.

I think the hair is a wig (though in a picture you can't tell that naturally), and the mask is a focus which allows her to bewitch men. The face behind the stick-mask is horrific and to her dismay, is an serious PRE attack on anyone who sees it, or perhaps paralyzes them with fear. I expect her to be catty and demanding, and incredibly vain.

I'm thinking of the character Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard. (Might be a little too TV Batman)

sunsetb1.gif

Three words:

The Iron Yuppie!

Sort of "Colossus meets Forbes 500" kind of look, complete with armoured briefcase and action cellphone!

"Daaaaddy... Can I be like the Iron Yuppie when I grow up?"

"Well, son - only if you create new paradigms to maximize profits."

A modern day goth that instead of wearing piercings and spikes actually extrudes them from the body and can shoot them like a porcupine. I think a female would be preferred complete with the fishnets, doc martins, spiky colored hair and dark makeup. The spikes can come from anywhere and thus she can change them up with the wardrobe she happens to be wearing that day. As well as have them come out of everywhere forming a spiky armor/damage shield.

I don't have a good name though, as Spike is just too predictable.

This is a zombie film where the guy tried to bring his dead girlfriend back to life. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

US Marine Corpse? Is this a dead/undead character? Or did you mean Corps?

(Corps = body of people; Corpse = dead body)

I must admit I don't pay too much attention to the art threads simply because there tend to be so many posts (100+), so I'm not familiar with Storn's style(s) overall (though, I know it's good).

It is indeed Corpse (dead body). Saw it in another thread being discussed.

It is indeed United States Marine Corpse. It started as a sort of joke for a costume party. You turn up in military uniform but obviously deceased. When someone asks who you are, you say, '1,2,3,4 United States Marine Corpse !'

Form there I built it as an analog to the Old Soldier in Astro City. A marine who died and comes back to fight. Once a marine, always a marine. Except this one can be picky about the orders. He's dead after all. He was on the last Storn vote thread.

The details are as follows.

United States Marine Corpse. A US Marine obviously dead with an AK47 and bayonet. More Revenant than Zombie. Marine olive green combat fatigues circa Vietnam and on

While not really a challenge' date=' a character concept would be a brunette female (brick) who wears an outfit similar to DC's Captain Marvel. The differences: There's no lightning bolt; she's a double D, but the costume is [b']not[/b] skintight at all.

The fact that she's my PC Juggernaut in a campaign I'm playing is totally 100% coincidence.

I have no problem with this at all. Other people have tried this why not you ?

I need to add a couple of my own suggestions. The first one comes from John Connolly's book The Black Angel.

'The other man was almost as tall as his companion but obscenely fat, his enormous belly hanging pendulously between his thighs. His body appeared out of proportion to his legs, which were short and slightly bowed. The fat man's face was perfectly round and quite pale but his features were very delicate: green eyes enclosed by long dark lashes; a thin unbroken nose; and a long mouth with full dark lips that were almost feminine.

Ay passing resemblence of facial beauty were undone by his chin and the tumorous distended neck in which it lost itself.

He was balding but his remaining hasir was very black and cut short against his skull'

Heavy Metal Angel. The Angel is constructed of metal like a sculpture of a skeleton except the main body particularly around the spine has musculature

It is sharp and pointy rather than being smooth. The wings are very skeletal and are more of a frame, there are no feathers.

This is based again on The Black Angel and a statue in the book but it is organic and the real thing.

A giant spider' date=' who recently gained sentience and in fact just wants to be a chef. Has WF: Cooking Implements (Rolling Pin, Spatula, etc) and a dough-based entangle.[/quote']Now, if he wanted to be in charge, he could call himself Spider-Manager. :hex:

Are you only looking for "campy" suggestions or will more serious ones be entertained?

A couple of ideas I was thinking about was a Native American with a Magic Bow (energy-like arrows a la the D&D cartoon).

Native American Shaman (comicbook type shaman that does comicbook magic)

Oriental Wizard. Doesn't seem to be a lot of Champion's style Oriental wizards.