I Need A Gadget

Dust Raven

I'm setting aside my GM screen for a chance to play, and I've got what I believe to be a rather cool character concept. His name is Levi Ashton, and he's a Silver Avenger. Well, he was a Silver Avenger. He was stationed in Detroit when Dr. Destroyer blew it up. He hung up his uniform and quite PRIMUS after that. Strangely enough, his strength, reflexes and durability never faded over the years. He didn't say anything. He was told his powers would fade over time, but was never told how long it would take. But now he's a bitter, cynical wreck of an ex-superhero.

Until a group of hero wannabes start bugging him. One of them is a fan-girl geek right out of a SF convention who actually has superpowers, and she won't leave Levi alone. So now he's stuck playing mentor to a bunch of newbies. Sure, he could walk away... but hell if these babies are serious they might as well be shown how it's done. Right?

So anyway, what I've got is a basic Silver Avenger: super strong, super reflexes, superdurability, martial arts training, superpatriot skill package. What I need are the gadgets. Silver Avengers aren't really fast enough to be Martial Artists, nor strong and durable enough to be Bricks, and most usually have a trinket or two to round them out. Well, my guy isn't in PRIMUS anymore, so they aren't going to issue him anything. What I'm thinking is that he's got something taken from a villain long ago he's kept as a trophy, or possibly something another superhero friend of his has made for him (he's spent 9 points on various super-powered contacts). The thing is, what should it be?

Right now I've got Jet Boots and a Line Gun on his sheet. These come to 55 points total. The thing is, I don't want Jet Boots and a Line Gun. I want something unusual, something sneaky/unobtrusive, or something that's just plain cool.

What I've got is 55 points to spend, and my only requirements is that I get a Movement Power usable in most situations, some kind of Ranged Attack (which need not be effective against most opponents, only to cover that he otherwise has none), and it all comes in a Focus, preferably OAF. I could have as much as 60 Points for it if I sell back a Martial Maneuver, but then I'd like something that includes a +2d6 HA as well.

I'm not really looking for complete builds, but they are welcome. I'm looking for ideas. I want to stay away from anything stereotypical or things that have been the key piece of equipment for other characters (Captain America's shield, Thor's hammer, etc).

So go ahead, toss your junk at me!

Re: I Need A Gadget

The things that come mind is a set of Brass Knuckles that can throw damage, increase damage, allow for some TK tricks and flight. (either some weird mystic or chi focus are in the darn things).

Or the ever over used staff, rod or billy club are the other things I thought of but they are too obvious I think.

How about a pair of boots that build up a charge of energy that can be released as Kinetic Energy from the soles.

In addition to allowing a nice big leap, they give him a powerful kick, which he has learned to use to kick objects at distant opponents.

They can use the same energy to latch themselves firmly to whatever he is standing on.

They could look something like this:

15 Kinetic Reserve Endurance Reserve (80 END, 10 REC) Reserve: (18 Active Points); REC: (10 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2)

33 K Boots Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); all slots OIF (-1/2)

2u
Jump
Leaping +20" (22" forward, 11" upward) (Accurate) (25 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u
Stick
Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

1u
Boot to The Head
: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

3u
Kick
Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Needs Something to Kick (-1/4)

2u
Power Kick
Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (44 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)

I was doing a character a while back, that was basically a battle suit guy who cobbled his stuff together out of spare parts. This is not unobtrusive, but was kinda cool. He had a battle computer (backpack) that was link to a HUD in a helmet that gave him various powers. Extra vision, +OCV, Flash Defense, etc.

He also had Jet Boots, but they only gave leaping or extra running ("Ground skimming").

Other thoughts: If GL stuff is ok, how about he was exposed to Kelvarite at some point? Maybe this is what "fixed" is stats so he doesn't need Cyberline anymore. Also, say once per day (or 2 or 4) he can boost up to near superman levels in toughness, speed, and strength. Or something.

Other possibilities are that the Kelvarite gave him a completely different different set of powers. Sneaky ones might be good. TK, Teleportation, Clinging, Invisibility. Give these some large limitation so they are not totally reliable.

Lastly, don't forget skills. Lots of skills at a high level (maybe the Kelvarite made him "proficient" at everything he does?) can simulate a lot of super powers. Maybe also he just Lucky now (might explain no longer needing Cyberline.)

Also, get a gun. :D

If you want to keep the hand motif, how about a gauntlet?

35 Turbo-Gauntlets (52 point reserve Multipower), all slots OIF (-1/2)

3u Turbo Blast Energy Blast 6D6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (52 active points)

1u Hardened Knuckles Hand-To-Hand Attack +3D6 (15 active points), Hand-to-hand attack (-1/2)

6m Turbo Propulsion Flight 20", x4 Noncombat (45 active points)

8 Turbo-Gauntlet Power Pack Endurance Reserve (50 END, 5 REC) (10 Active points); OIF Gauntlets (-1/2).

If the device(s) came from agents it probably wasn't designed to be a long term use item. I was thinking of the gadget equivalent to Hourman's Miraclo (Underdog) Pill. How about an inertia control device (maybe a belt?) with a solar powered END Battery. Flight is the prime ability it grants and is the most efficient and reliable. HA and Force Field are also possible but have greater power (END usage). You could even include an emergency Force Wall with Burnout.

So far I'm liking the super-knuckles/gauntlets and super-boots. If I go with something on the hands though, I'll probably go with the high-tech brass knuckles just because they are more unusual (neither a gauntlet or a ring). The boots are tempting though. The "boot to the head" and "tai kwon leap" jokes will get old really fast though.

I was just thumbing through old books and came across a pic of Solitaire from 4th edition. That widget thing just looks cool, and it qualifies for unusual as far as I'm concerned. Maybe a floating fist-sized follower would work. Not a Follower follower, but a set of Powers that are OAF. Could include a Computer Follower that could do some basic tasks though. Include Lightning Calculator, Absolute Range Sense and things like that. I'm not sure what it could do for movement though. Teleportation perhaps? I dunno, maybe I won't like that in an hour, but right now it seems cool.

Keep the ideas coming though! I'm making variant write-ups of the character as I get them. Eventually I'll just pick one and like and stick with it, but for now I'm undecided.

I agree with Ghost Angel on the Shades!

But I always liked the Force Lance from Andromeda. It has some ranged attacks, can be used for Hand to Hand. Add in some missile deflection or some other gear. And the best of all it's an OAF Multipower. Heck you can even add in the Grappling Hook!

I had a Silver Avenger once that got hold of some alien technology that essentially created a little pocket dimension that only the user (it was built into a collar sort of thing) had access to. It gave this Silver Avenger the ability to teleport, but also gave him a whole arsenal of weapons at his disposal that he kept in the pocket, a la the Harbringer of Justice. It was built as a multipower with a couple of T-port slots and lots of different weapon slots.

If you like Solitaire's widget, you might try turning it into a disk or shield that can be used as point defense (missile deflection) or ranged attack when thrown/impelled at a target. He can also use it for flight by riding it.

Some people spread happiness wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde

A mystical key.

Stick it in the air in front of you and turn - an actinic outline of a ninja bike flashes for a second then disappears as SA mounts it then takes off like a ... ninja bike.

Multipower it and have planes and boats. Limitations galore are available.

Stick it in the air in front of you and turn - an actinic outline of a small door flashes for a second then disappears as SA reaches in and draws out .

There's a lot more that a key could do, but SA doesn't want to press his luck. The original owner dropped it after opening a large door - something pulled him in and he hasn't been seen since.

I once created a hero character who came into possession of Thor's enchanted iron gauntlet, Jarn Grieper. The gauntlet gave him a powerful blow (HA) and the ability to exert crushing strength (HKA). He learned to catch incoming blows, projectiles and energies with it (Missile Deflection, extra CSL with Block, and Armor requiring a DEX roll). He could also bat objects with the gauntlet like a handball, hurling them at opponents (EB or RKA with OIF Object of Opportunity). Striking the ground with Jarn Grieper would cause a shockwave, and a similar move would launch the character into the air (Leaping).

Hmm. I tell you what I kinda like (and I'm not allowed to play :() for the 'not quite as good as anyone, but pretty good at everything' type, and that is a small VPP, which you can probably afford to make cosmic.

I mean, take a magic ring, or whatever, and give it a 20 point VPP, cosmic (20 points, control cost = 10, cosmic (+2) = 30, total cost 50 points, OIF (ring) costs 33 points, and you have at least 20 points you can add to stuff, including characteristics. In fact you can add 20 points to one and 10 to another as the ring OIF will apply to everything: that's +2 speed and +10 STR, for example, or 10" of flight and self contained breathing, or invisibility to sight and...well, you get the idea.

If you can afford a 40 point VPP you ccould do anything int he book, but a 20 point one reqwuires some finesse still, but can really give the seasoned warrior the edge.

In fact, how about not making it a ring at all, make it a tattoo that Levi got some years back. The guy who did the tat was a bit weird but OK - in fact he was a magus and the tat is what stopped the Silver Avenger powers from fading. It is IIF - so inobvious that even Levi does not recognise the significance of it - he's always assumed that his ability to sneak past the guards when he really needed to was just that - a sneak ability, honed by many years of practice rather than the fact that he actually becomes invisible. His boosted characteristics are him pushing himself etc.

In fact you could limit the available powers to things that he can 'justify' using his opwn abilities - so he can't suddenly have a blow torch come out of his fingers - BUT he could make one with almost no equipment (A-Team stylee)

Just noodling and came up with this:

Cost

Powers

END

Cyber Force Disk: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

3u

1) Thrown Disk: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)

2u

2) Thrown Disk II: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Energy attacks (+1/4) (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4)

3u

3) Ride Disk: Flight 20", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1)

3u

4) Ranged Block: Force Wall (12 PD), Transparent to ED Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1)

2u

5) Personal Block: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target (45 Active Points); OAF (-1)

To explain it looks a bit like the disk from Tron, and glows with 'Force' energy when active. There are two offensive slots where the disk can be thrown - one does normal damage, the other surrounds the target in a force field. The flight occurs by jumping on and riding the disk. The disk can also be directed to interpose itself at range, and finally can be used to block any incoming physical attack and redirect it.

Hows that for a start? Cost is 43 pts.

22 multipower OAF utility belt items (45 active points)

2u Sonic Autoblaster 2d6 energy blast NND (+1) Autofire (+1 1/2) one hex area (+1) (defenses are being deaf, having no ears like if all your audio input is through speakers, or having no internal physical structure like blobs or energy beings)

4m Adamantium Baton - 4d6 Hand Attack no END

4m same Adamantium Baton - Missile deflection

2u Tractor Beam - TK

2u Force Wall - 30 points of force wall that is transparent to energy. That's enough to box in an opponent who doesn't have enhanced strength or for crowd control purposes. Its also enough to set up a strategic retreat since most opponents will find it difficult to move, bring down the force wall, and attack you all in one phase.

I also like the idea of a gift from a superhero friend. I suggest the Incredible Multi-Shoes

15 multipower (23 active points) OIF "Incredible Multi-Shoes"

1u Flight

1u running

1u swimming

1u clinging

1u leaping

These aren't much different than conventional rocket shoes. But it does give the option of silent movement or "hovering" through the leaping and clinging powers. And the Swimming rate is pretty decent.

These together cost out at 56 points though you could cut one of the movement powers to get it down to 55.

How about a Demon mace?

I'm thinking here more of the original Demonmace from Primus and Demon, not the 5th edition version. It's an OAF. Throw whatever Powers you want into it and justify by saying it was a nonstandard or rejected mace.

The thought of a former Silver Avenger with a Demon mace just seems... interesting to me.

A mystical key.

Stick it in the air in front of you and turn - an actinic outline of a ninja bike flashes for a second then disappears as SA mounts it then takes off like a ... ninja bike.

Multipower it and have planes and boats. Limitations galore are available.

Stick it in the air in front of you and turn - an actinic outline of a small door flashes for a second then disappears as SA reaches in and draws out .

There's a lot more that a key could do, but SA doesn't want to press his luck. The original owner dropped it after opening a large door - something pulled him in and he hasn't been seen since.

Ooh! That could be cool. I'm really trying to avoid the magic stuff for this character, but a confiscated key could be just the thing Ashton might keep and possibly use. I kinda like the effect as well. If I go with this "gadget" I'd like it to also be able to unlock [almost] any lock or use anything that requires a key.