Best superhero titles of the 70's

FenrisUlf

Re: Best superhero titles of the 70's

For me' date=' it's [b']The Defenders[/b]. They shaped my perception of what a superhero team should be, and it still strongly influences my games.

Yeah, but do you still have the issues? The Defenders were my favorite as well and I still have all my issues, about 80 percent of the original run.

Threadjack

They killed off Jean Grey in the early '70s and I stopped reading Marvel. Has anything happened since then?

(I don't think I was into collecting anything in the 70's. I vaguely remember scrounging up old Vampirellas...)

Midas

Jean Grey died in 1980.

You may be exaggerating.

Try this one:

http://www.marveldatabase.com/Uncanny_X-Men_101

Yes, that was '76, and she immediatly came back as Phoenix according to the Database. IIRC, back when they all wore yellow and black, and before these fakes from around the world took over, Marvel killed her off at least once.

I would say the Marvel Db has incorporated the Xmen Retcons, so there are inconsistancies with what I was reading back in the '60s. OTOH, we're really strolling down memory lane here. This was way back in the days before comics were collectables. :eg:

Midas

I always liked the team books best; more heroes for the money.

Well, it made sense to a six year old. ;)

Hey, still makes perfect sense to me. :P

My poor beer-drowned neurons aren't up to remembering which titles I was reading when, or which were actually from the 70s instead of just being read in the 70s. I know I was a big X-Men fan from quite a while before the New X-Men, up until about the time you had to buy a million spin-off titles to keep up with things.

Threadjack

Try this one:

http://www.marveldatabase.com/Uncanny_X-Men_101

Yes, that was '76, and she immediatly came back as Phoenix according to the Database. IIRC, back when they all wore yellow and black, and before these fakes from around the world took over, Marvel killed her off at least once.

I would say the Marvel Db has incorporated the Xmen Retcons, so there are inconsistancies with what I was reading back in the '60s. OTOH, we're really strolling down memory lane here. This was way back in the days before comics were collectables. :eg:

Midas

They stopped wearing the yellow and blacks long before that. Even before the title was revived. Remember, Marvel's big cash cow was once so unpopular it was only published as a reprint title.

Keith "Meek shall inherit" Curtis

Fantastic Four and Marvel Two-in-One were my faves from the 70s, and to a lesser degree Spidey and Daredevil. I didn't really get into any DC titles at that time. I thought they were usually overly silly. I became a huge DC reader later, though, with Crisis in the eighties.

I wonder -- can the 70's be considered as the

'Bronze Age'? If not,m then I might have to post a "Best titles of the Bronze Age" thread, followed by others covering Iron, Silver, and Gold.

And thanks for all the responses here.

Ive been using "Bronze Age" to refer to the period between ca. 1975 to ca. 1989 (or so).

As far as best -title-, nothing can ever compare to the title of "Giant-Sized Man-Thing" :nonp:

• 2 months later...

Quoted for truth - that was going to be my answer. And the stuff in the 80's was even better.

Ah. Pre-Crisis Legion. The folks who defeated Darkseid, among other achievements...

Simply, The Best (Better than all the rest...)

Oh yeah. Until I read Astro City' date=' that was the standard by which I measured all comic books.[/quote']

I've got mixed feelings about that. I am an Astro City fan, and gladly pick up the trades. Still, there's a self aware one-step removed quality to the writing that keeps me from developing real immersion or attachment to specific characters. It's a series of great stories about the Superhero genre rather than great Superhero stories (though occasionally, as with Tarnished Angel, it surpasses itself and becomes both).

X-Men kind of lost me somewhere around the late 1980s (issue 175 or near enough), and I didn't start reading it until the early 1980s. I remember being a fan of the New Mutants in the 1980s as well, though they pretty much lost me about the time the art went to hell (again, somewhere in the late 1980s).

Teen Titans was more my model of how to do Teen Heroes, but the New Mutants are definitely part of the template.

I agree with all of it. I enjoyed X-Men, New Mutants, Teen Titans, Alpha Flight, DNAgents and a number of others until somewhere in the late 80's possibly 90-91. Then the comics all seemed to forget they were for entertainment and thought they were on the philosophical high road to social engineering or something. Whatever they thought they were doing almost everyone I knew moved on from being die hard comic readers to other things.

The thing is' date=' X-Men was [i']good[/i] in the 70's.

Can't do much more than say Yep.

Ive been using "Bronze Age" to refer to the period between ca. 1975 to ca. 1989 (or so).

As far as best -title-, nothing can ever compare to the title of "Giant-Sized Man-Thing" :nonp:

Curse you. I wanted to say that one.

:D

Oh yeah. Until I read Astro City' date=' that was the standard by which I measured all comic books.[/quote']

I finally bought the "Life in th Big City" trade. Issues 1-6.

It is more of an anthology rather than a story. The only real connection is they take place in Astro City.

The writing is very good. The art is also topnotch. The story layouts and flow are great. All in all it is a very solid comic well worth the price.

The only thing it wasn't is a Superhero comic. It was six unrelated stories about people and things that happened to them. But not really about the actual Heroes. The only two stories that had the Supers as the main character was the first, a basic intro about Samaritan that has the Superhero part being an unwelcome imposition on Samaritan dreams. And the last (#6) which is about two supers on an interrupted date. The rest are about normal people observing supers in action.

Great book, but after the hype, totally disappointing if you were expecting an ongoing series.

Awww, you beat me to it. YES! The censor board was out to lunch when that book got through.:D

I admit I'm more of a Marvel person then a DC person. The only DC books I read during the 70s were Batman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow [you gotta love Neil Adams' work on both those books].

From Marvel I was a huge fan of Captain America [and Falcon], Ironman, Tomb of Dracula, Avengers [especially Cap's Kookie quartet period], Conan, and Defenders [you gotta love a team with Dr. Strange, Hulk, Silver Surfer, and Submariner :)]. I did get into X-men with Giant-size but after Byrne left it fell out of favor with me.

Ghost Rider, Dr Strange from Marvel. Some of their other spooky titles.

DC from this era was pretty bad, Detective Comics was almost canceled I believe. But overall I think Legion of Superheroes was the best. Followed closely by their spooky titles.

I read a lot of EC, but they may have been reprints, I can't remember.