Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

Re: Cool Guns for your Games

Now the Mounted Soldier System (MSS)

this is a Heads up display, cordless Communications (Army got Blue-tooth), Microclimate Cooling, (water vest) and Improved coverall, fire Resistant Acu and the new Maxillofacial shield, improved body armor.

and a CVC helmet system (camera?)

now we are truly as equipped as the marines in Aliens!

Lord Ghee

From the Gents at PEOS

New Armour lighter weight ect

21.85 pounds

https://peosoldier.army.mil/newpeo/Equipment/Temp.asp?id=spe_spcs

And OMW . . . .!!!! We heard of this and here it is

The Sense Throught the Wall (STTW) (Public relations naming fail)

"Allows the Soldier to detect locate and "sense" personnel behind walls, doors and other visible obstructions from a standoff Distance"

https://peosoldier.army.mil/newpeo/Equipment/Temp.asp?id=SMS_STTW

and it uses AA batteries!

wow no fact sheet hush hush on what system it is (sonic, IR ,radar, or T waves -yes that right T waves google it they are real)

Lord Ghee

just scored big Gents,

The Program Executive office Soldier (you spend money on PR officers . . . .)

lots of cool stuff

show up not cert but us army site

This is a Great find a US Army site announcing Rapid fielding Initiative stuff.

Lord Ghee

Lots of cool stuff on there. I've seen Proto-versions of the shotty when I was in, The gunshot detector, we had unit sized ones (Battalion level) when I was in Kosovo, I was in the Talk when our base was attacked, and you can get information on where the rounds came from and where they are going as small as .38 they said, we saw 9mm and 7.62 that day get traced. Then security teams were sent to the originating locations to root out combatants... So I know we have this tech avalible, but I didn't know it was down to personnel sized yet (though, I did get out 11 years ago now, lol).

The MSS, I was lucky enough to be in the 82nd Aco. 3-325 (it's gone now, they have a Cav unit there now), and our Cco guys were testing this stuff out. Biggest gripes (again 10 years ago) was that the screen would back-light your eyes doing two things, 1) mark you at night (even a black screen gave off a ton of light at night), and 2) the cord at the back would get caught up on everything, I know 3 soldiers personally who cut they're wires every night with various things, because the tech guys wouldn't even try to make it wireless (they said it made it too prone to interference and hacking), tech must have improved in those areas... nice.

I've got an earlier version of the PEOS sitting at the foot of my bed... it's mostly heavier because it uses 1000 denir Cordura, but not by much... Now I still need to save up to get the plates. I saw some new plates being fielded in Yuma about a month ago (It was on the news) that were all fabric of some-sort that could stop multiple rounds from 7.62 rifles near the same region of the body (only needed to be just off, 1cm or so, of the first point of impact) without failing. I saw them test from pistol rounds through 7.62... and they could be small enough to fit in a Kidney plate pocket... Good stuff.

And that STTW is totally a new thing to me... Good find man.

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect

securely to peosoldier.army.mil, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure."

it's still a .Mil site, I'd say it was fine unless you are the conspiracy theory type.

Heh, They came up with the protoype gunfire locator right next to where I live.

I had a bit of a weird Deux Ex moment when it went live.

The future is here

Yah, the tech we have available to us is friggen awesome.

From the Gents at PEOS

New Armour lighter weight ect

21.85 pounds

https://peosoldier.army.mil/newpeo/Equipment/Temp.asp?id=spe_spcs

And OMW . . . .!!!! We heard of this and here it is

The Sense Throught the Wall (STTW) (Public relations naming fail)

"Allows the Soldier to detect locate and "sense" personnel behind walls, doors and other visible obstructions from a standoff Distance"

https://peosoldier.army.mil/newpeo/Equipment/Temp.asp?id=SMS_STTW

and it uses AA batteries!

wow no fact sheet hush hush on what system it is (sonic, IR ,radar, or T waves -yes that right T waves google it they are real)

Lord Ghee

there was one a few years ago that was the size, iirc, of a large flashlight...

radar I believe.

Yah' date=' the tech we have available to us is friggen awesome.[/quote']

Speaking of which...

Not quite a gun, but I'm too lazy to hunt up the Military Hardware thread

Them wacky Israelis have come up with a functional active defense system for tanks

Another step closer to Hammers Slammers and Bolos

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110781-Israeli-Missile-Defense-System-Blasts-Threats-With-Liquid-Metal

and from the Miniatures page thread

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/06/diy-weapons-of-the-libyan-rebels/100086/

Libyan tech

number 25 is cool look like a bullpup ak 74 design any one got more info?

Lord Ghee

looks like an twisted p90, I don't think it's an AK design, but I've been wrong before... unless that dude (and the weapon) is (are) a giant(s) then that magazine looks like it's pretty small (I'd say .22-5.56) size rounds, I think it's a tad small for 7.62, but again, I've been wrong. Pretty advanced stuff really, I'm surprised.

:eg:not an actual gun, but an idea came to me this week. It might have been possible for a gunsmith to make a 19th century version of the "linebaugh" custom MAGNUM revolvers. I need to look into it more, but I was thinking of a cartridge conversion of a Walker Dragoon. A single shot could probably have been done in the Remington rollingblock pistol...

Re-bored and rechambered to the .50 US Army CARBINE load. It is apparently measurably shorter than the .50-70 US rifle cartridge. Out of the Trapdoor Carbine, it drove a 400 gr bullet about 1200fps, using about 45-55 (iirc) grains of black powder. The carbine load could be fired in the .50-70 rifles, but the rifle loads could not be fired in the carbines.

So, I was figuring a matched set of carbine and revolver. I suspect the revolver would be around 800-900fps with the same 400 gr bullet...

:eg:

And here I was excited to read about some crazy revolver in Hard Magic involving a LeMatt style revolver using cased ammunition in .50 Russian Long and a 12 gauge shell...

"Hard Magic?"??

I don't think I have heard of a .50 russian Long...

After I posted, I did think about a LeMat conversion to the .50... The carbine was apparently about a 1.35 inch case. There was apparently a "Cadet" or Carbine load that used about 45 gr of black powder. 800-1000 fps out of a carbine. Just about right!

"Hard Magic?"??

I don't think I have heard of a .50 russian Long...

After I posted, I did think about a LeMat conversion to the .50... The carbine was apparently about a 1.35 inch case. There was apparently a "Cadet" or Carbine load that used about 45 gr of black powder. 800-1000 fps out of a carbine. Just about right!

12.7x108mm' date=' as opposed to the NATO 12.7x99mm.[/quote']

Ummm... I figured it was fictional. If there really is a LeMat using cartridges, I would be curious to own one. =)

Ummm... I figured it was fictional. If there really is a LeMat using cartridges' date=' I would be curious to own one. =)[/quote']

They were manufactured post-Civil War in France.

Le-Mat-Revolver.jpg

I don't know if any cartridge replicas are being made, but cap-and-ball versions are still being manufactured and sold in the U.S.

12.7x108mm' date=' as opposed to the NATO 12.7x99mm.[/quote']

Oh, I nknow about the 12.7x 108R, but I haven't heard of a .50 revolver cartridge from them. In some ways the 12.7x108 is a bit more powerful, but the big advantage was that they could blow it out to a 20mm and still have headspace control on the rim. It was not as powerful as a 20x110 or x139, but it was pretty light and compact, with a reasonable rate of fire and still had HE effectiveness, which the .50 BMG didn't. Now if we could go back in time, equip the US with the MK211 Raufoss multi-purpose ammo, and upgrade to M2 aircraft machine guns...

The .50s worked for aircraft armament. That does not mean they were the optimum. ;) sorry, digression over.