Cool Guns for your Games

Remjin

In the game, I think it had two fire modes... I'm hard pressed to remember anymore, but they were... uh... klingon disruptor style energy weapons, I think?

No, they're actually projectile firing weapons, coilguns. But they utilize the "mass effect" of the game's title - they use an eezo (Element Zero) core to reduce the projectile's mass to virtually nothing, accelerate it as fast as the coil will send a near-massless object, then once it;s outside the effect field of the eezo, it regains it's original mass - without slowing down.

handgun and longarm versions aren't actually much more efficient than a regular rail or coilgun would be. Dreadnought-mounted spinal guns, on the other hand...

No, they're actually projectile firing weapons, coilguns. But they utilize the "mass effect" of the game's title - they use an eezo (Element Zero) core to reduce the projectile's mass to virtually nothing, accelerate it as fast as the coil will send a near-massless object, then once it;s outside the effect field of the eezo, it regains it's original mass - without slowing down.

handgun and longarm versions aren't actually much more efficient than a regular rail or coilgun would be. Dreadnought-mounted spinal guns, on the other hand...

you had me at "dreadnought"...

This was in the.... 2nd Dirty Harry movie, wasn't it? Very neat. Good find! Very unique looking.

That would be the AMC Auto Mag from Sudden Death (the fourth Dirty Harry movie), which looks a little similar, but is chambered in .44 Magnum.

450px-Automag.jpg

I was actually looking for another magnum caliber (specifically above .40) semi-automatic box-magazine based pistol other than the Automag, LAR Grizzly, or Desert Eagle (or the Colt 1911-type pistol chambered in .50 GI).

Can't say those guns look very high tech to me, but that's just my opinion. The derringers just look like cast barrels with injection molded grips. The castings look like cast iron, almost. The few intratec weapons I've ever handled were... ummm... they concerned me. If you're interested in high capacity magazines, these magazines from SureFire for AR15s are interesting. The Spectre looks interesting but kind of ugly. Would be curious to know how it actually works. Very compact looking, which is neat, and ugly can be very cool in some ways. =) Either way, nice finds. =)

When compared to most derringer type pistols, which still utilize wooden grips and appear mostly changed from the basic 1800s design, it definitely looks more high-tech. Hell, I could easily see it fitting in the Shadowrun setting.

As for looks? I typically prefer my firearms to be aesthetically pleasing, but if they get the job done...then I can't really complain.

I've heard of the handguard breaking with too narrow handles on the fore-end, but not mutilations... this is the keltec bullpup shotgun you're talking about?

At least two mutilations so far.  There are pictures online--they came up when I did an image search for the KSG.  I recommend avoiding them however.

I finally found another semi-automatic box-magazine type magnum pistol!

15827057_1.jpg?v=8CFF2D3D173AE90

This is the Wildey Magnum. The above model is chambered in .475 Wildey, but .44 Magnum and .45 Winchester Magnum models also exist.

mea culpa, I almost mentioned it, and should have.   

interesting i was thinking of the Wildey as an eighties bad guy gun but looks like most of the filmography is from the 90's

The KSG seems like it would be an ideal weapon for Monster/super hunting the dual feed would let you alternate between different ammo silver and cold iron or armor piercing sabot and FRAG12. or for less lethal you could use taser and bean bag. plus short and compact enough for CQB. shame about the design flaws.

teamed up with some designated marksmen with these new experimental smart scope with IR .Thermograph, night vision, laser and magnetometry based range finder IFF and squad linked to coordinate fire

1229267984564196783.jpg

My dad used to have a S&W m29 with a long barrel for silhouette matches. He never liked it, only shot it a few times, and eventually sold or traded it away. The iirc 10 3/8" barrel was so heavy it was difficult to hold it up enough to shoot... he had an amazing grip strength( he was a machinist ), but maybe that muscle in the wrist was not as strong.

TIL that when firing a S&W .500 revolver, the blast escaping from the cylinder/barrel gap can, and has, severed nearby fingers.

Yeesh. I read today that it is still more comfortable to shoot than the 329 PD scandium frame .44 Magnum. =) I kind of want one of the 4-5" barreled .500 S&W Magnums... but only if I come across it at a pretty reasonable price from someone trying to dump it. =) I don't think I could afford to shoot it much, even if I were so inclined. It's kind of like one of those gold desert eagles. I wouldn't mind owning one for the neat factor, but I wouldn't pay the kind of prices they are commanding right now. But what is more interesting is the new factory ported/muzzle braked one in .50 AE which is supposedly much easier to shoot. *shrug*

I believe that even much less powerful revolvers can sever fingers too close to th cylinder gap. When I was a kid I was told by my hunters safety instructor that even a .22 lr can do it. Funniest thing, I have never tested it. Maybe I will take a hot dog out next time I shoot my revolver...

I believe that even much less powerful revolvers can sever fingers too close to th cylinder gap. When I was a kid I was told by my hunters safety instructor that even a .22 lr can do it. Funniest thing, I have never tested it. Maybe I will take a hot dog out next time I shoot my revolver...

OMG, film that. Sounds hilarious. I've heard of injuries from that but not severed fingers. Sounds possible, I suppose. *shrug* Havent a clue.

If I could afford a Customs revved, I would probably go with a .50 special or some similar boomer. I don't need or really want a handgun generating 3000ft-lbs...

Yeah, I'd likely use the specials if I were going to shoot it regularly. I don't really travel in areas with animals large enough that I'd need that cannon to protect myself, and I don't handgun hunt (or hunt much at all, for that matter). I just think it looks neat, has a certain appeal in it's uniqueness, and if I could ever afford it, I would love to make it into something even more unique and interesting. Perhaps a less goofy looking compensator, perhaps a new finish of some sort, maybe even some engraving and inlay of some kind. *shrug* A vault queen, really. All I really "need" is a decent all-around style rifle to complete the Useful portion of my firearms collection. The rest is all gravy and dreams.

Mythbusters already confirmed the phenomenon using chicken wings. 

Also, this is another one for the do-not-image-search list.

I believe there have been a few of those 9mm revolvers, from the oddball Medusa (?) to several moon-clip 9mm revolvers. If that's the 5" barreled version like their 627, in an N-frame, I would love one of those as an 8-shot revolver, right after the actualy 627 if they ever make it in blue rather than stainless. =) Had a chance at 627 in stainless, but when I pulled off the weirdest black crud off of it, I didn' thave a lot of confidence in the last owner to have taken care of it. Looked like something you would see in a horror movie... yuck. I kind of love/hate the barrels on those. In one sense, nicely done, seems kind of slick, but I like round instead of squared on a nicely rounded piece like that. Great basis for a game gun and for real life!

The wife has agreed that we need a pair of his/hers revolvers at some point. Just have to figure out the what, how, and when. =) I'd like something fancy that I can still shoot. They'll take the place of wedding rings we never wear.

I believe there have been a few of those 9mm revolvers, from the oddball Medusa (?) to several moon-clip 9mm revolvers. If that's the 5" barreled version like their 627, in an N-frame, I would love one of those as an 8-shot revolver, right after the actualy 627 if they ever make it in blue rather than stainless. =) Had a chance at 627 in stainless, but when I pulled off the weirdest black crud off of it, I didn' thave a lot of confidence in the last owner to have taken care of it. Looked like something you would see in a horror movie... yuck. I kind of love/hate the barrels on those. In one sense, nicely done, seems kind of slick, but I like round instead of squared on a nicely rounded piece like that. Great basis for a game gun and for real life!

The wife has agreed that we need a pair of his/hers revolvers at some point. Just have to figure out the what, how, and when. =) I'd like something fancy that I can still shoot. They'll take the place of wedding rings we never wear.

Get the stainless, then Cerakote with a blue.  Not as nice as bluing, but a lot tougher and less likely to corrode.  

I wish I could have bought a Medusa, I don't know how well they really worked, though.   If it worked, the ultimate post apocalypse gun!

If you like that one, this one (same as my wife's revolver) is in the same niche but in .38/.357... bull barrel, fiber-optic sight with v-notch rear with a half lug and nice wooden grips. =)

686SW.jpg

My wife has an old S&W model 15.  good sights, custom trigger at some point.  She shoots it very well.