Hero name

hfergus

Ok, since someone asked for a villian name - I have a hero whose name I not happy with. He is a shapeshifter with one form - a super velociraptor! Raptor and velociraptor have been suggested and "maybe" has come back. So for, swift razor is in the lead, but we are not quite happy. Note - the first time he changed he didn't know he had changed (he was given a "mickey") he killed the guy who slipped him a mickey - so "talon", "claw", "red" and "bloody" make him quite uneasy. (I have lots of good names for villians like this - but...) Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Hero name

1. Sauron (Sorry can't resist)

2. Kid Dinosaur

1. No doubt he is always hunting for a plain gold ring that doesn't melt when heated.

2. Quote, "Don't call me KID!"

Why does the name have to be in English?

"The Swift Razor"

French: Le Rasoir Rapide

German: Das Schnelle Rasiermesser

Italian: Il Rasoio Rapido

or any of a dozen other languages. just take the basic name you want, and run it through an on-line translator program. You change the simple to the exotic.

Gemphyre

"Lex Talonis" (Literally "Law of the Talon", the ancient law-code of "An eye for an eye." Maybe more of a vigilante name, though.)

"Brightfang", "Swiftclaw", "Firststrike"

"Féroce" (French: ferocious. Pronounced: FAY-rohss )

"Virisaurus" (Latin: hero-lizard)

"Sicasaurus" (Latin: dagger-lizard) Unfortunately "razor" doesn't translate well in Latin.

"Venator" (Latin: hunter)

RetroGen -- Retro-Genetic mutation (human to dinosaur)

Throwback -- another historical reference

B.C. -- short for Beast Creature and an obvious play on the age of the dinosaur

The Raptorian -- a cool way to say raptor, dude -- plus if the hero had some street cred, it would be even better

Primaul -- admittedly kind of a villain name, but still pretty cool

Hope that helps!

Matt "Used-to-be-a-copywriter" Frisbee

Like you said, there are a ton of villainous names and vivid descriptions of violent characteristics. Perhaps the character would pick something less agressive, maybe a nonviolent action word like.....

Snap(In reference to the sound his dinosaur jaw makes when it closes)

Bump(Because his oddly shaped body and tail knock over lots of things in confined quarters.

or Trot(due to his awkward raptor running stride)

The Doctor

Thanks for the names one and all. Will keep checking for one that really clicks. As to suggesations, Dino came up and I could'nt get the image of him "yapping" and knocking down Fred out of my head. Barney - Kill him! Kill him! Kill Kill Kill!! - sorry, I hate Barney, he's so annoying. Good name though if I did not hate Barney. The ones I like so far - Chricton (Cute), Jurassic (see previous- I do see him like the velociraptors in the movie, inaccurate or not. So sue me, it's almost a comic book in my campain (Silver to bronze age with whispers of iron)). I like Virisaurus, Throwback and The Raptorian. So far I like The Raptorian the best. I'll bounce it of my players - esp since it is a player charater, not a NPC. Thanks again, and keep 'em coming - for now.

One of the most brilliant and insightful hero names I ever saw was in the pages of Doom Patrol during Grant Morrison's run. The old school character 'Robotman' was the brain of race car driver Cliff Steele in a robotic body, and Morrison changed his name to more appropriately reflect his identity. The characters 'hero' name became.........Cliff.

The kid turns into a freaking DINOSAUR. Is anyone really going to suspect that the dinosaur named Billy is in fact little Billy from down the street? It's the comics after all, a land where glasses-as-disguise regularly fools the best investigative journalists on the planet. Also, try and put yourself in the kids shoes. How would you like scenarios like this happening?

'Swift Razor, what do you make of this?'

'SWIFT RAZOR, What do you make of this?'

'DINOSAUR GUY!'

'Huh? Oh sorry.'

Thanks again one and all - The Raptorian won. The player loved it and I like it best. Now back to Barney - Do not give evil GMs ideas. (Is evil GM an oxymoron?) Now I am thinking of a villian named Barney. He goes around in a Barney suit. Mind control vs children aged 3 or less (at least 12D6 - continuous, area effect) [i love you, you love me ] to follow him around. Side effect or uncontrolled link - mind control (at least 10D6) vs adults to hate him (not to kill, just hate) [i hate you, you hate me, let's hang Barney from a tree.] Psych - totally believes he has to wear the suit. He does not. Maybe 2 of the 12D6 may actually be in hero id only (the suit).

"Ok kids, lets rob a bank" "Yea!" "See the man in the uniform? He is not a nice man." "Boo!" "Get really close to Barney and think good thoughts."

The kids would be his pd & ed - with an activation roll of course. I could go on, but see what you did? (This evil gm thanks you!)

Thanks again one and all - The Raptorian won. The player loved it and I like it best. Now back to Barney - Do not give evil GMs ideas. (Is evil GM an oxymoron?) Now I am thinking of a villian named Barney. He goes around in a Barney suit. Mind control vs children aged 3 or less (at least 12D6 - continuous' date=' area effect) [i love you, you love me '] to follow him around. Side effect or uncontrolled link - mind control (at least 10D6) vs adults to hate him (not to kill, just hate) [i hate you, you hate me, let's hang Barney from a tree.] Psych - totally believes he has to wear the suit. He does not. Maybe 2 of the 12D6 may actually be in hero id only (the suit).

"Ok kids, lets rob a bank" "Yea!" "See the man in the uniform? He is not a nice man." "Boo!" "Get really close to Barney and think good thoughts."

The kids would be his pd & ed - with an activation roll of course. I could go on, but see what you did? (This evil gm thanks you!)

Oh! Remember to make the PD & ED ablative! I am sure you can see why. :eg:

Oh! Remember to make the PD & ED ablative! I am sure you can see why. :eg:

Good point! Ablative it is!

And on an unrelated note - (Smack - ow! Smack - ow! Smack - ow!) There, I hit myself. Evil GM an oxymoron?!?! Evil GM is redundant!!! Is there any other kind of GM? (Yeah, a poor one) Oooh, I'm mean. Seriously, the best GMs I've seen get a bit mean at times - esp. if the game is gritty.