Who Is... Your Favorite Villain?

jkwleisemann

Re: Who Is... Your Favorite Villain?

Shinyufrom Golden Age Champions: who doesn't love a sexy dragon lady? And I thought her outlined character development in the second edition of GAC was a very well-thought out idea.

Dragon Queen from the original VIPER book: she should've been Shinyu's daughter, but that aside she was great. Heck, I tried to re-do her as a hero back when the current edition first came out, but her dragon form would cost WAAAY too much.

I've conflated those two characters into one for past games. Given their histories and powers it's pretty easy to do, and produces one seriously nasty opponent with a rich and complex background.

Black Enchantress and just about everyone else from the adventure Coriolis. Great set of NPCs' date=' great plotline, and Clinton Avery worked great as a superteam organizer.[/quote']

The Coriolis Effect was a good primer on how to run multi-part story arcs in an RPG, just as it advertised itself to be.

BE is definitely a fun little sociopath to put up against your PCs, but seriously underpowered for her plot use compared to current Champs Uni standards. But give her the physical stats of her mother Ch'andarra and she'd be much more formidable.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really should add an Honorable Mention to Firewing. Who can't use a cosmically-powerful villain who needs no excuse to throw down with your PCs? :D

Absolutely true, he has been a prime villain for your heroes to test themselves against.....also Scorch a mutant from 4th edition was a great opportunity for a fire versus fire threat for the heroes to stop.

What is this? No love for Dr. Lirby Koo?

Loooong ago (I think back in 2nd or 3rd edition days), I built a villain named Vacuum, with a powered armor suit holding what was basically a huge vacuum cleaner. His real name was Dr. Lou Kirby (or as the PRIMUS file listed him, "Dr. Kirby, Lou.")

I have to go look at my various Champs books from the first Enemies book and up.

I like Firewing from the first Enemies book and the fact he gave rise to Scott Bennie's Protectors.

Rainbow Archer from Enemies 3 is a favourite.

The Zodiac particularly Taurus, Leo and Sagitarrius.

I like the Viper Force goons

I like the Monster, well I like Goth so what did you expect ?

I like Grond. Best origin ever.

Foxbat is good because of what he does and because of the origin of the character.

Eurostar are good particularly the versions with Bora. A European villain team that can mop the floor with people and are not a silly joke. I like Mentalla as a member of the team.

Ankylosaur from Enemies. I love the original drawing.

Timemaster from Enemies 3. Again the dawing is good and that fitted better with the background that had come up from the Adventurers Club magazine.

And those are just off the top of my head.

I have to go look at my various Champs books from the first Enemies book and up.

I like Firewing from the first Enemies book and the fact he gave rise to Scott Bennie's Protectors.

I don't mean to be contrary, DT, but the Protectors, splendid though they are, are the creations of Scott Heine and his gaming group. I had the privilege to run for three or four of the original players (including Scott) at Gen Con many years ago and had a blast.

I don't mean to be contrary' date=' DT, but the Protectors, splendid though they are, are the creations of Scott Heine and his gaming group. I had the privilege to run for three or four of the original players (including Scott) at Gen Con many years ago and had a blast.[/quote']Great Scott!

I have also used Dr. Lirby Koo to good effect. He was mostly special effects performed by his retainers, such as the holographic "growing" to immense size backed up by TK devices. In another campaign he was a presence in the background who was mostly trying to get "Brick" (original concept) away from Viper because he was actually the good doctor's son...

Everyone does realize that "Dr. Lirby Koo" is based on an old friend of the original heroes named Kirby Loo, yes? I think he might even be a PhD these days, but I only met him once.

My Favorite Villain as A GM is Citadel,

followed by Doctor Destroyer.

My all time favorite to run is Foxbat.

And anytime I can use Viper Agents.

I got more of a reaction when I introduced Citadel with all his various powers then when the heroes came up against Dr D.

I think they knew the good Dr would be tough. But Citadel was an unknown and displayed way too many powers for them to comprehend.

My Favorite Villain as A GM is Citadel...

I got more of a reaction when I introduced Citadel with all his various powers then when the heroes came up against Dr D.

I think they knew the good Dr would be tough. But Citadel was an unknown and displayed way too many powers for them to comprehend.

Tried (and failed) to find Citadel on the CU Villains list - was he from a different edition or something? Which book?

Tried (and failed) to find Citadel on the CU Villains list - was he from a different edition or something? Which book?

The one I remember is from the 4th Edition VIPER Sourcebook. Lots of powers and a real serious grudge.

As for my favorites--from 4th Edition, Beamline, Timemaster, Thunder and Lightning; from 5th Edition, Cyclone and Hypnos. Foxbat in any edition is also a favorite with me.

Wasn't he in Villainy Unbound?

The one I remember is from the 4th Edition VIPER Sourcebook. Lots of powers and a real serious grudge.
Citadel is on pages 119-120 of VIPER (First Printing, 1993).

Favorite?

The Caterwaul.

Now, you'd have to understand AD&D 2nd Edition to follow my reasoning.

See, the Caterwaul is a 4 HD monster, essentially a quick nocturnal cougar with a deafening roar, about as bad as an ogre, but by no means as dangerous as a troll.

Except it had the same treasure rating as dragons and major demons, particularly in gems and magic items, before 3rd Edition.

An industrious first level party could, by focusing on Caterwauls, become richer than kings in nearly no time, and with relatively low risk.

Which is why Caterwauls are my favorite. I like a villain that makes me wealthy young, and doesn't kill me.

Everyone does realize that "Dr. Lirby Koo" is based on an old friend of the original heroes named Kirby Loo' date=' yes? I think he might even be a PhD these days, but I only met him once.[/quote']

I wasn't aware of that. It figures. The very odd name suggested something of the sort.

I've used a version of the character as the off-stage leader of VIPER. My version of VIPER is based pretty strictly on the first edition description, with a few extra bits I added myself.

I used Green Dragon as their main field commander.