What would be your take on She-Grond?

Hermit

Yes, She-Grond. C'mon, you know there should be one. If Grond often gets to step in for the Hulk homage (Though arguably, Ogre would as well), surely a She-Hulk homage of sorts should exist. I'm working on one for a campaign, and it occurs to me that surely I'm not the first to think of this so I would love any input or own ideas.

My own is going to be former Ensign Emily Potter, who's transformations during her 'savage' time forced her to quit the Coast Guard. I described her thusly: Emily Potter seems... tightly wound. Every blonde hair in place, pulled back into a stern bun, and even her jacket blemish free.

Obviously, her alter ego will be very different.

Still, I'm quite willing to steal ...err borrow further ideas that might already be out there :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What would be your take on She-Grond?

Yes, She-Grond. C'mon, you know there should be one. If Grond often gets to step in for the Hulk homage (Though arguably, Ogre would as well), surely a She-Hulk homage of sorts should exist. I'm working on one for a campaign, and it occurs to me that surely I'm not the first to think of this so I would love any input or own ideas.

My own is going to be former Ensign Emily Potter, who's transformations during her 'savage' time forced her to quit the Coast Guard. I described her thusly: Emily Potter seems... tightly wound. Every blonde hair in place, pulled back into a stern bun, and even her jacket blemish free.

Obviously, her alter ego will be very different.

Still, I'm quite willing to steal ...err borrow further ideas that might already be out there :)

The only thing I can think of as a defining characteristic for She-Grond is she has to be HOT! :love:

TB

The Beach Boys filked from "Help me Rhonda"

Well since she put me down Ive been out doin in my head

Come in late at night and in the mornin I just lay in dead

Well, Gronda you look so fine (look so fine)

And I know it wouldnt take much time

For you to help me Gronda

Help me get back my heart

Help me Gronda

Help, help me Gronda

Help me Gronda

Help, help me Gronda

Help me Gronda

Help, help me Gronda

Help me Gronda

Help, help me Gronda

Help me Gronda

Help, help me Gronda

Help me Gronda

Help, help me Gronda

Help me Gronda yeah

Get her out of my heart

She was gonna be my wife

And I was gonna be her man

But she let another guy come between us

And it ruined our plan

Well, Gronda you caught my eye (caught my eye)

And I can give you lotsa reasons why

You gotta help me Gronda

Help me get back my heart

One day I hope HEROphiles will forgive me...

LOL

QM

Would she have four...arms? Yes, arms. That was definitely the question. Arms.

As for how She-Grond came about, I'd probably just lift the basics from She-Hulk's origin. Since Grond doesn't change back&forth can't have him really do the transfusion himself, so maybe either:

1) Mad scientist experimenting on Grond did transfusion to another subject who would become She-Grond. Could have the origin as an actual scenario - the heroes are tracking down disappearances, but get distracted by a bunch of pseudo-Gronds that keep showing up to tear up the town. They eventually make the connection and track down the lair & bust up the operation.

2) She-Grond was originally on the Stronghold staff, and was seriously injured during a breakout. The staff doctor had a huge crush on her and rather than see her die gave her some of Grond's blood hoping his recuperative powers would save her. Didn't expect the side effects. (Or maybe was accidental, in his rush grabbed the wrong bag of blood...). If she has control over the changes, maybe she still works at Stronghold as a superpowered guard.

I could care less about the ideas, I just want someone to post pics!

This is assuming the comic book "Laws of Conservation of Hotness" are in play, which clearly state that the uglier the main character, the hotter the female derivative/sidekick will be.

Of course, since Grond has the whole four arms/double torso thing going this could drift rapidly into the gutter...

EDIT: took too long to post, but my predictions have already come to fruition!

Would she have four...arms? Yes, arms. That was definitely the question. Arms.

You have a strange ...pause. :)

Yes, she has four arms, at least in her heroic form.

As for how She-Grond came about, I'd probably just lift the basics from She-Hulk's origin. Since Grond doesn't change back&forth can't have him really do the transfusion himself, so maybe either:

1) Mad scientist experimenting on Grond did transfusion to another subject who would become She-Grond. Could have the origin as an actual scenario - the heroes are tracking down disappearances, but get distracted by a bunch of pseudo-Gronds that keep showing up to tear up the town. They eventually make the connection and track down the lair & bust up the operation.

2) She-Grond was originally on the Stronghold staff, and was seriously injured during a breakout. The staff doctor had a huge crush on her and rather than see her die gave her some of Grond's blood hoping his recuperative powers would save her. Didn't expect the side effects. (Or maybe was accidental, in his rush grabbed the wrong bag of blood...). If she has control over the changes, maybe she still works at Stronghold as a superpowered guard.

I like both of these.

Would you go with Only in Hero ID, or Multiform?

Hot like the surface of the sun would be one take.

It might be interesting to do something a bit more poignant. I'd be temped to look at Grond's physical deformities and wonder what a woman who lives in a society that highly values physical attractiveness would feel if she looked like that. Then there's Allison Hayes in "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman." A different sort of poignant.

Just tossin' ideas out.

I would go for a more or less non-comedy translation. Since Grond never transforms back, make her a Doc Samson type, say an UNTIL scientist afflicted with muscular dystrophy who thought she'd be able to "cure" Grond while using his unique physiology to model a cure for muscle wasting diseases. Her cure fails when Grond escapes, and the fiasco costs her a job and a reputation, but she keeps the data (perhaps deleting it from UNTIL's computers when her project is shut down). On her own, borrowing money and building the equipment she can't buy, she uses the data to cure herself.

It works, but traps her in a four armed body, standing seven feet tall and with the strength to smash tanks. Worse, while she retains her intelligence, the trauma of her transformation drives her briefly into an uncontrolled psychotic rage. By the time she recovers, she has destroyed her lab, including her notes. After her recovery, her short term memory is scrambled to the point she can barely recall the last few months. With memory problems, a new look, new finger prints, and new DNA patterns, she can't legally prove she's still herself. She loses everything, and the only people who believe her story are her rivals at UNTIL, the same people who destroyed her career in the first place. Unwilling to become a test subject or UNITY recruit, but also unwilling to become a Supervillain, she eventually finds work as a bouncer and then a body guard, establishing a new identity as "Anais Droog, the She-Grond".

That's where the PCs meet her, possibly body-guarding for a celebrity with a dark secret but a respectable public persona. Their interactions with her will determine whether she becomes a Hero, or whether she falls into Villainy.

As a side note - does this remind you of anyone?

http://www.dollsofindia.com/product/PG24

I had a subplot in one of my games where one of the PCs (Grolm the All-Seeing, an extradimensional mage who looked pretty much like a three-eyed, four-armed gorilla) was hailed as a diety by some Hindus. I haven't done that with Grond, but it could work for Grond/She-Grond as well. Could give the heroes some trouble with civilians for 'attacking a holy figure', much like some could give them grief for attacking an 'obviously angelic' villain that glows and has big feathery wings.

This is assuming the comic book "Laws of Conservation of Hotness" are in play' date=' which clearly state that the uglier the main character, the hotter the female derivative/sidekick will be.[/quote']

That's what I was going with, but in fairness...

Hot like the surface of the sun would be one take.

It might be interesting to do something a bit more poignant. I'd be temped to look at Grond's physical deformities and wonder what a woman who lives in a society that highly values physical attractiveness would feel if she looked like that. Then there's Allison Hayes in "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman." A different sort of poignant.

Just tossin' ideas out.

... this sort of thing sounds cool too. Agree or disagree, preferences aside, I just think the basic idea of She-Grond is just too fun to keep to myself (And besides, I'm sure someone must have thought it up already anyway) so am happily picking brains.

I, myself, and going more for the She-Hulk homage which means the sexy aspect is firmly rooted in my head BUT by all means, one could easily play up the classic monster angle and get into what being an 'ugly' heroine would mean. That would be pretty deep, So either way, keep em coming.

For my take, I'm wondering if Emily (Feel free to make your own name) is 'plain' in normal id might be tempted (as Jen was in the comics) to stay in her weirder but sexier guise. For that matter, looks aside, there's got to be something gratifying about being super strong and very very tough. Is the personality transformation 'real' or just a reaction to being superpowered?

I've touched on stuff like that before, but for She-Hulk homages especially they seem appropriate to explore.

Something to keep in mind is that She-Hulk now gets crazy buff... and quite unpretty... when she gets really, really angry. I think it's only happened twice though.

I wonder if the reverse could work... The more damage she takes, the more powerful and fabulous she becomes! (Absorption to STR and COM?) That's probably a bit too goofy, though I may need to use that idea some time...

I'm thinking that the woman who would become She-Grond might be a scientist trying to duplicate the accident that created the original, on behalf of a company trying to get a contract for the US Government's next super-soldier program, when some organized crime figures (maybe VIPER, or ARGENT, or agents of Teleios) made a mess of things. Her transformation wasn't absolute, but she doesn't change back and forth; she's just super-strong but retains her intelligence.

I like both of these.

Would you go with Only in Hero ID, or Multiform?

I would say Multiform. OIHID would be the base character, just super. When you start adding green skin, a couple feet to the height, and two arms, I think it would be Multiform territory.

I would go for a more or less non-comedy translation. Since Grond never transforms back, make her a Doc Samson type, say an UNTIL scientist afflicted with muscular dystrophy who thought she'd be able to "cure" Grond while using his unique physiology to model a cure for muscle wasting diseases. Her cure fails when Grond escapes, and the fiasco costs her a job and a reputation, but she keeps the data (perhaps deleting it from UNTIL's computers when her project is shut down). On her own, borrowing money and building the equipment she can't buy, she uses the data to cure herself.

It works, but traps her in a four armed body, standing seven feet tall and with the strength to smash tanks. Worse, while she retains her intelligence, the trauma of her transformation drives her briefly into an uncontrolled psychotic rage. By the time she recovers, she has destroyed her lab, including her notes. After her recovery, her short term memory is scrambled to the point she can barely recall the last few months. With memory problems, a new look, new finger prints, and new DNA patterns, she can't legally prove she's still herself. She loses everything, and the only people who believe her story are her rivals at UNTIL, the same people who destroyed her career in the first place. Unwilling to become a test subject or UNITY recruit, but also unwilling to become a Supervillain, she eventually finds work as a bouncer and then a body guard, establishing a new identity as "Anais Droog, the She-Grond".

That's where the PCs meet her, possibly body-guarding for a celebrity with a dark secret but a respectable public persona. Their interactions with her will determine whether she becomes a Hero, or whether she falls into Villainy.

Pretty cool take.

While I'm going a different route myself, the heroes in the game will definitely influence if she is on the side of the angels or not

IMHO and no offense intended, linking the origin of She-Grond to the original Grond is both a little limiting and a little cliche. How about a character with no known connection to Grond other than super-strength and resembling him? This allows you to give the character almost any background you like.

For example, the myths and legends of India are full of multi-armed gods, supernatural reptilians, and creatures who combine the features of humans and animals in various ways. Perhaps some of those legends could have been inspired by mutant strains within the gene pool that emerge from time to time. I'm visualizing a woman of Indian descent whose latent mutations suddenly emerge, causing her to become superhumanly strong, grow in stature, sprout a couple of extra arms, and perhaps develop green skin color and/or other reptillian traits. After her first public appearance the press dubs her "She-Grond," and the name sticks whether she likes it or not.

Malachite/Telios - The Worlds Greatest Cloner, decides to tackle cloning Grond. His preference for female clones is commonly known. The events that lead to the creation of Grond would be enough of a challenge to merit some interest on the Super Scientists part.

IMOHO

QM

IMHO and no offense intended' date=' linking the origin of She-Grond to the original Grond is both a little limiting and a little cliche. [/quote']

Well, one man's cliche' is another man's classic. However, I can see something like what you suggest happening. In settings with superheroes, the press rarely cares, it seems, whether a hero likes the name they've been given or not.

Malachite/Telios - The Worlds Greatest Cloner' date=' decides to tackle cloning Grond. His preference for female clones is commonly known. The events that lead to the creation of Grond would be enough of a challenge to merit some interest on the Super Scientists part.[/quote']

One of the plot seeds for Grond in CKC involves Teleios making a bunch of weaker pseudo-Gronds.

If he wasn't happy with this, he could always decide to breed better versions. Obviously that would require a mother...