THE BOOK OF THE DESTROYER: What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: THE BOOK OF THE DESTROYER: What Do *You* Want To See?

I can and do make some nod toward "realism' date='" but ultimately [i']it's a comic book.[/i] He doesn't take over because the good guys get to win in the end in comic books stories. :thumbup:

No offense, but you must not be reading Marvel right now.

Some other Doctor D ideas...

*Interactions. Like VIPER and DEMON, we need to know what he thinks of the various factions in the Champions Universe. Or does he know of them?

*"Tweaking The Doctor"-Some suggestions and ideas to make the Doctor more dangerous or more interesting, or more insane...

I guess that begs the question of just how dependent Albert Zerstoiten has become on the life support equipment in his armor. Is putting it on like a trip to a spa, where he emerges to some extent renewed and revitalized? Or is his normal functioning impaired when he's out of it?

I'll answer that one right now -- think of it as a sort of preview. He almost never takes the armor off. Not only is it highly protective and a great tool, but it contains his primary life-support systems. He doesn't need those systems to live per se, but he needs them to slow down his aging as much as possible. Every second spent out of armor is a second of normal aging... and therefore a second to be avoided if possible.

No offense, but you must not be reading Marvel right now.

Generally not; I prefer to read good comic books.

In a moment of Friday whimsy, I present:

THINGS YOU WILL NOT FIND IN BotD

The Destroyerettes, a Destroyer-themed cheerleader squad/rock group

Dr. Destroyer's recipe for cream pie

Foxbat

Information on the strange but weird cult that thinks Destroyer is actually Bugs Bunny

Nude Lady Blue centerfold

Nude Herculan centerfold

Nude centerfold of any kind

The Destroyermobile

The Destroyerarang

$100 worth of DestroyerBucks, good for purchases at any Planet Destroyer restaurant and gift shop

Foxbat

Information on the strange but weird cult that thinks Destroyer is actually Bugs Bunny

Nude Herculan centerfold

The Destroyermobile

The Destroyerarang

$100 worth of DestroyerBucks, good for purchases at any Planet Destroyer restaurant and gift shop

You forgot C.L.O.W.N.

*run away...*

So the meatloaf and Jello salad recipes make the cut, then?

I'm good.

On a serious note, the more I think about the idea of the Destroyer as suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, the more I like it. The mighty Destroyer, unable to conquer the world because, in the end, he is a typical NPD screwup? It fits the tone of "banality of evil" that I get from the current Destroyer.

I take it this also means we won't have Marksman lighting a match on his armor and calling him "Al". :)

Foxbat

Nude Herculan centerfold

The Destroyermobile

The Destroyerarang

None of my ideas made it in?? Dammit.

I take it this also means we won't have Marksman lighting a match on his armor and calling him "Al". :)

That would be awsome, or have Mechassasin doing the deed as his last act of life. If I beg would they put that scene in the book?

a page of pull out coupons inside the back cover, redeemable for such in-game items as

• fumbled attack rolls
  • failed perception checks
  • max. damage rolls.
  • pushing powers up to double active points.

I want to see the Jagannath.

Let me explain: this is the Hindi word from which English derives "juggernaut". It's the name of the eighth avatar of Vishnu, whose idol at Puri, India, was annually drawn through the city on a heavy wheeled vehicle. Devotees were reputed to throw themselves under the wheels of this vehicle and be crushed; hence its association with "irresistable force". It also probably doesn't hurt that the Sanskrit root of the word means "lord of the world".

Carrying the various associations of the name forward, what I want to see is Dr. Destroyer's ultimate warship, a flying vessel that can chew USAF aircraft, the Warlord's Flying Fortress, or UNTIL's Ragnarok like hamburger; Destroyer's "ace in the hole/ you've left me no choice/ if you can beat this you deserve to win" weapons platform. Something to evoke that OMG moment from PCs who think they finally have DD on the ropes, as they see this monster rise into the sky. :eg:

The Jagannath could be the basis of an assault scenario to try to cripple it before it can wreak havoc on the world, or to sabotage it before it can be launched or even completed.

What?! :nonp:

This is an outrage. We demand more Foxbat!

Well, there's going to be a section where Steve discusses how Dr. D views other villains, so maybe there could be a brief cameo there. Something like:
Foxbat: Doctor Destroyer gets a headache whenever he thinks about Foxbat, so he tries to do so as little as possible.
No, really -- even when dealing with something as world-shattering as Doctor Destroyer, there should be some level of humor here and there. Encourage one or two artists to create humorous "editoral cartoons" about Destroyer, or see if you can talk Chris Avellone into contributing a couple of "Stick Figure Theater" installments. I agree that the overall tone should be serious, but a couple of lighthearted moments can serve well, if only to give the serious parts greater impact.

In the interests of adding to the breadth of the book, advice on the use of high powered worldbeating villains in general, not restricted to the Good Doctor, would be nice. I suspect it does not fit with the "it's all about Doc D" theme, however.